Reseting and refining my Keto

(Sarah Bruhn) #1

Hi Keto Folks,
So I’ve been LCHF for 11 months, Keto for 6 months. Eat at 75% Fat, 20% protein and 5% Carbs (or 20g) I eat nothing over 1600 calories, Weight around 86kg standing at 5’7 (175cm) Regularly IF and EF (48 hours at most because I begin to get migrain symptoms after this.

I have seen some non scale victories- No more migraines, no more joint pain, increased energy and motivation, decreased brain fog, improved and steadied mood I even lost a little weight (about 7kg) and my waist measurement went from 84cm to 76cm, went from AUS 16 to 14. And I feel in control of my appitite. AWESOME! Definately not coming off Keto.

BUT my weight and measurements have not moved in at least 4 months, So I am ready for some adjustments, particularly those that assist in hormonal balance because I have been tracking my weight daily for months (not obsessing but it gives a good trend and points out ties of inflammation to me) and directly before my period i put on up to 4kg!!! and loose it directly afterwards… BIG HINT right?
So ladies and gentlemen, I’m ready to go to my doctor and get tested for everything and anything in the hopes that I can find something to help my body get to the next phase of life… I am just sick of my thighs rubbing together and puffy upper arms, this is not warrior weight, this excess baggage.
What tests should I ask for?
What more can I do?
I’m so torn between trying PSMF or Carnivore or eating more or eating less? I have decided to cut nuts as they trigger me (I can’t stop eating them), I’d rather not give up dairy because I don’t eat much of it and cream is the only way i can take my coffee but I’m getting quite sick of this. Suggestions please!!!

(Troy) #2

I believe this may be a good starting point(s)?:thinking:

For me, once I went away from nuts, or a lot of them during omad or 2mad, it helped w everything

Likewise w dairy, I cut out all dairy ( except miss Kerry Gold :heart_eyes:)
Any who, great nsv once, no more dairy

Now w hormones…I’m NO help there :joy:
Perhaps some of the ladies can chime in about those??

Ladies hormones “ trigger “ me...🤣
So, I’m in that quandary too.  Haha. Jk
I need LOTS of help w that too...😃

Good luck!!

(Danielle ) #3

I normally gain about 7-8 lbs the second half of my cycle and then drop it all. It’s maddening! So… I hear you!

(Raj Seth) #4

Wow. That sounds light. Way light. IME, once I gave my body a liberal uncounted amounted of calories by eating fat to satiety, good things started happening.

Maybe your body won’t let go of any more of its doomsday stores because it’s not feeling flush with energy?

(Steve) #5

+1 for your BMR may be too low. I’m actually starting that today, for a few days (recently listened to the “Switching it up” episode with Megan Ramos - #58 on the 2 Keto Dudes podcasts) - think that’s just what I need to kick off the next stage of my weight loss (as I seem stuck around 240lbs). I think the success I enjoyed earlier (by somewhat restricting my calorie intake) has lowered my BMR and my body has now decided that 240 is my set point. Need to change that up - lull my metabolism into a sense of abundance, then pull the rug out. :slight_smile:
Going to at least double my caloric intake for the next few days.

If you believe the insulin hypothesis, as set forth by folks like Dr Fung, then weight gain or loss is determined by hormones. Not calories, carbs, or macronutrients (apart from how they impact hormone levels). Have your doctor check your fasting insulin level and do an oral glucose insulin tolerance test. These tests will determine the degree of insulin resistance you have. Here’s a description of the tests, the last link is a presentation at Low Carb Down Under, by Dr Mason describing how he uses insulin OGTT to identify people at risk for diabetes years before its diagnosised.

While not a replacement for lab tests, you can also do an at home quick assessment, as described here:
https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

My personal perspective: I’ve found over the past 9 months that I’ve been on this journey, my scale weight is most closely correlated with changes in my BG. When my fasting AM glucose is up, I’ve likely gained weight overnight. When BG stays low day after day, I lose weight daily. By tayloring my efforts to this metric, I get the best approximation of what insulin is doing and thus minimize any guesswork. Despite being metabolically deranged and perimenopausal, I lost 10+ lbs per month with no stalls. I discovered that there were times when my body wanted carbs. There were times when my body wanted more calories. How did I know this? By tracking BG…

(Sarah Bruhn) #7

great idea, Any time I’ve checked my BGL (I’m a student nurse so the oportunity arises periodically) it’s at the lower end of normal but I have been lusting after one and regular testing may throw up some interesting results.

(Sarah Bruhn) #8

Thanks i’ll look into that, I was doing more switch it up style stuff for the first few months when I stalled, just trcking carbs not anything else but… well i stalled. But that may not be why as trying to consistently hit 1600 hasn’t done a dang thing.

(Sarah Bruhn) #9

Acording to the keto calculator that the ketodudes link to I’m actually eating too many Calories… so… if anything I should switch it down

1355 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
20 g Carbs (6%, 80 kcal)
115 g Protein (34%, 460 kcal)
91 g Fat (60%, 815 kcal)

I am the same height as you. I started at 86 kg and lost 26 kg. I aim for 20 g carbs, 40-60 G protein and fat to satiety.

I have started eating too many macadamia nuts, so I am about 62 kg now, and I reckon if I drop the nuts (I open the pantry and have a mittful every time I go into the kitchen), I will return to correct weight.

(Chris W) #11

I am not sure were you got those numbers or how you arrived at them but I would tell you to be in the order of 1900 calories a day I used an age of 40 and .8 to LBM for protein. I came up with 158g of fat and 114g of protein. So add me to the your BMR is in crisis management and holding onto your fat for dear life column.

(Raj Seth) #12

I dunno how you got those numbers
I put 5’7” , 86kg, lightly active and maintain and I get 1900

Make sure you don’t put a caloric deficit in there. That is CICO or CRaP (Calorie Restriction as Primary) and is destined to fail you

(Sarah Bruhn) #13

I got it from the calculator on this site http://blog.2keto.com/can-you-help-me-calculate-my-macros/
I switched to 1600 calories about 2 months ago so whilst I am happy to change that (i love to eat) it didn’t cause the stall, may have continued it? Will give higher calories a go.

(Jessica) #14

I gain 5 pounds during my period and lose it right afterward also. I don’t think that’s indicative of a problem.

Do you exercise? A progressive strength program for body recomp might make you happier with your shape.

(Sarah Bruhn) #15

I don’t mean that it indicates a problem, more that it indicates that hormones are the root of obesity which is what I truely believe.
I am starting to train on a regular basis so hopefully that will help. Thanks

(Edith) #16

How does your blood glucose tell you when your body wants more carbs or more calories?

(Alec) #17

I got 1900 cals for you from that calculator. 1900 is much more like it.

(Terri Semler) #18

I’m a newbie and having trouble losing weight. I’m wondering if my macros aren’t calculated correctly. I’m 5’4”. 194 lb. very sedentary because of migraines. But the calculator put me on 22 carbs, 83 fats, 66 protein & 1108 calories… been on keto since May 22, 2018. Started Pruvit OS orange cream a couple weeks ago. I’ve been pretty strict keto. A few up and down macros by just trying to reach each one exactly. But have only lost 6 lbs. no energy, tired all the time. Where’s all the energy and feeling great taking these ketones. Or getting me into ketosis. Pee strips didn’t work so I bought a glucose keto mojo. First day was .05 & 2 nd day .07. Not even close. Is it my macronutrients not set right? HELP

(Ron) #19

OK Terri,
You are way under eating. This isn’t good as it slows down adaption, hinders your body’s ability to heal the things it needs to heal so you can lose weight, slows down metabolism, and a host of other thing.
You need to eat to your macro’s until adapted. This averages about 6 to 10 weeks (some a little quicker and some a little longer depending on metabolic damage from years of SAD eating.
I punched in you stats and here is what you should be consuming-
How much should you be eating per day?
1775 calories
156 g fats
20 g carbs
72 g protein
Based on the inputs, it suggest you eat: 1775 calories. From those, 156g fats, 20g net carbs, and 72g protein
You are going to go through the “keto flu” and if you do this it will help make it easier-

Lots of good people on here so don’t be afraid to ask anything!:grin:

(Terri Semler) #20

Thank you Ron so much for doing my macros for me. I thought something was wrong! Omg!! It’s going to be hard eating that much, but fat bombs here I come;) if I go over anything it’s usually protein. But I’ll reset, and I’ll let you know how things go🙏. Does age change anything? I’m 59. 60 in 4 days😳