Poll: Total Carbs Vs Net Carbs

I’m starting a poll as I’m interested to see the proportion of those on the forum who count Total Carbs and those that count Net Carbs. If you’ve done both, choose the one you’ve done longest or the one you think you’ve had most success on.

The purpose of this poll isn’t to prove one school of thought right over another. We’ve all had varying degrees of success using either method. Most of the time it’s all about what works best for the individual.

Feel free to comment and add any personal insights you’ve learnt using either carb counting method.

Thanks for participating!

• Total Carbs
  • Net Carbs

0 voters

Total carbs VS net carbs
Avocados - net or gross carbs?
Newbie With Some Needed Answers
Trying to determine carbs and benefits/risks of products
Anyone counting total carbs?
Net or total carbs
Carbs vs Net Carbs
Need Advice on Upping Fat
Net Carbs vs. Total Carbs

I always count total carbs. But I am usually a purist, over-doer, anal perfectionist in pretty much anything I get involved with.

(Running from stupidity) #3

That doesn’t really have much to do with total v net carbs, though…

Meaning to me a carb is a pure measurement not to be discounted or downplayed. If you’re going to mind your carbs, mind them all.

Thanks Ben. If you could add your vote to the above poll that would be great.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #6

Net carbs. lazy keto. lost the weight and improved the lipid numbers. But, overeat nuts every day. I really need to buckle down and do total carbs, to get my BG down.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #7

I voted total carbs, but really I don’t worry about it from veggies. But anything packaged, I check total carbs. I guess I really do net carbs but keep a weary eye on the total.

(Carl Keller) #8

I’ve always done total, ummm because the first few sites I researched, pre-keto, said to. I got used to it and it’s worked for me. However, the idea of eating more veggies/fiber has it’s upside. One, I like them and two, they are good for me. As I approach my the healthy weight bracket, I most likely will try a net approach.

(less is more, more or less) #9

I did Atkins/Net circa 2005 and now Westman/Total.

Atkins/Net started out great but ended miserably. Backslid all the way back to full-on carbovore. I found my Net carb counting increasingly “flexible” over time. Gained all lost weight back, and switched to South Beach, a bloody disaster that was.

18+ months in, Westman/Total is easy to sustain, easier to track and to be honest with one’s self.

I do total, and lost 85 pound in 16 months. I don’t even feel like I’m on a diet. I love this WOE

(Allie) #11

Neither, just keep carbs as low as possible as I’ve been living this way for so long that things just happen naturally.

(Alex ) #12

Total, purely because that what Ive always done on MyFitnessPal and a lot of the database foods don’t have the fibre figures included accurately.

(Terence Dean) #13

Total carbs.

Total unless I want to justify keto baked goods… I count net carbs the days my wife bakes keto treats.

(Alex) #15

net carbs from the start, and i’ve had tremendous success keeping under 20g daily since i started :grin:

(Chris) #17

My belief is net carbs just allows too much room for error. Folks are also misled into thinking sugar alcohols are perfectly okay (Atkins bars), when they’re usually not, despite not always spiking glucose. It’s also a slippery slope to allowing even more carbs into your diet. Pretty pointless endeavour.

There are essential fats and there are essential aminos. There is not and has never been such a thing as an essential carbohydrate, at least in humans. It doesn’t exist. Fiber is literally there to push the shit carbs you already eat through, and add “bulk” to the stool. How many people have you heard of complaining to the doctor that their poops are not bulky enough? I ask you. That’s stupid. We don’t have the hindgut that apes do to ferment those corn stalks into usable fatty acids (the same fatty acids we can just get directly from animal fats). Your gut doesn’t need it. It’s absolute silliness.

Net.

Fiber has no effect on blood sugar. Not saying you need it or don’t need it, just saying if it has no effect it’s not being counted against me. I do want to keep close tabs on the carbs that will impact me, hence netting out the fiber.

Net. Being in the UK, the labels are easier to count from that way. Hardly scientific!

(Susan) #20

Started my keto journey counting total carbs (had immediate measurable results even though consistently went over 20g daily, averaging 50-75 carbs most days). After a few months started counting net carbs and experienced my first stall shortly after…afraid for me net carb counting makes me get a little fast and loose with “indulgences” and is detrimental. Trying a year later to get back on track, everyone’s different, do what worlds best for you!

(Running from stupidity) #21

People who can kid themselves that stuff like that is OK can make themselves believe anything.