Poll: Total Carbs Vs Net Carbs

(less is more, more or less) #22

This was precisely my downfall. The successful marketing of “net” carb counts and my own gullibility. I now know there’s more precise ways to account for net carbs, but, jeesh, I bleed enough of my free time responding to forums.

(Running from stupidity) #23

You people need to get decent nutrution labels, that would be a good step.

(less is more, more or less) #24

Believe me, “those people” would never include me as one of “their people.” :wink:

I digress. Cronometer provides a quick and reliable resource. I do not trust food manufacturer’s labels.

(Running from stupidity) #25

Thank you, Groucho :slight_smile:

(Pete A) #26

Less than 20 total carbs. Winds up between 10-15 net.

(Avocado a day keeps the doctor away.) #27

Both. Under 20 net carbs and under 50 carbs overall.

(Brian) #28

I find the poll numbers interesting. I would have thought it would have leaned more heavily towards net carbs.

Since I had to pick, I usually am more interested in net carbs on things but I also don’t eat much processed stuff, aka Atkins bars and the like. If I want a treat, I usually make it myself and know what goes in it. Most of my carbs are from the HWC in my coffee or from veggies. Beyond that, the carbs are quite small, especially since I quit doing the “treat after every meal” thing. Love those keto muffins but glad to have gotten away from that. It took me a long time.

(Scott H.) #29

I don’t count them, but simply try to avoid them. That said, when I read labels, I look for total.

(Brian) #30

I thought this was an interesting perspective on the subject…

I’d feel deprived if I did total carbs

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #32

Net, but I typically stay under 10 net carbs a day. So I’d imagine that I’d still be under 20 total.

(Daisy) #33

Total unless I’ve gone over 20 on total, then I’ll switch to net for that day :grin::joy:

So it sounds like the reason for counting total carbs is as much about mistrust of nutritional labeling as it is about the effects of the fiber etc.

Interesting.

There is also the fact that people have varying goals they’re looking to hit.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

It won’t happen until the day the big food companies can no longer afford to buy legislators. contribute to election campaigns.

(Troy) #37

Total Carbs
Great Poll OP

For the simple fact that my #lazyketo was turning in to #lazynetcarbs
If I get in to net at 20 carbs ( 40ish total ) then No worries🙄

Mind over matter
Matter over mind

Fat Adapted Power EITHER WAY :smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

My spirit willilngly counts total carbs; my flesh weakly counts net. :angel: :imp:

@ChrisW
i don’t feel that way regarding mistrust of labels, of course that is out there …
I just feel that carbs that are in green leafy vegetables, veggies that grow above ground …are trustworthy healthy carbs.
Not sure if that makes sense but when i count net carbs …vegetables , nuts, im still going to stay in a low carb zone.
my numbers usually look like…23 net carbs, 35 total carbs, And that bit of difference makes a world of difference to me getting some fun enjoyable foods that I like to have.

(Robert C) #40
  • Net carbs for real whole foods that have been calculated by multiple independent sources.
  • Total carbs for anything with a label to avoid games played by some companies (really limit these anyway - really only dark chocolate). I believe a fiber processed into a powder will react in the body differently than the original fiber - just as orange juice (processed oranges) is sugar water vs. regular oranges.

(Ted) #41

From a keto perspective, net carbs was always fine for me until I started reducing my fiber to improve my periodic constipation. I don’t count as much anymore either but I can say for sure my to total carbs averages 10 to 20g or less most days.