Experiment #4 [Dec 5, 2019, 11:30 am]
Two taste tests
First, poured very carefully to avoid any sediment. The second agitated to include some sediment.
First, sediment-free pour: perfectly clear, nice flavour, but very weak carbonation, a ‘ginger-ale’ head that did not last very long (less than a minute).
Second, some sediment: cloudy, flavour slightly more bitter and again very weak carbonation, the ‘ginger-ale’ head/retention again.
Although the taste is acceptable, better without the sediment, I think what happened is that the gelatin coagulated out, taking some of the coffee out of solution with it. The only reason I can think of for this to happen is the coffee-making procedure. Instead of brewing a liter of coffee and using 500 ml, I brewed 450 ml and used 400 ml of it. I suspect I got something out of the more concentrated coffee that I left behind in the less concentrated coffee the first time around.
First, need to brew a full liter of coffee and use only half (400 ml). And, maybe run it through 3 paper filters to make sure as little solids as possible get through. Second, instead of adding vanilla/orange to the coffee use a flavoured coffee. My entire reason for making a smaller total amount of coffee in this experiment was to reduce the amount expensive vanilla extract needed. If I go with a flavoured coffee, I eliminate the need to add any vanilla and/or orange extract. For my first experiment with flavoured coffee I'm going to use this one
. I've made coffee with this before and like it's flavour. It has hints of vanilla and the macadamia is just enough to add a bit of earthy flavour.