MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Herb Martin) #159

You go doorgirl!

Have fun.

(You could theoretically eschew drinking on Friday, perhaps a diet soda or mineral water, even volunteer for designated driver IF YOU WISHED.)

And you can probably guess just how many folks actually click, ‘just’ for the reveal. :slight_smile:

But I do understand the request, and if it’s helpful, better still.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #161

I do like to imagine what you all are blurring. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I decided today to indulge on some yummy stuff today, so I’m ready to start another EF now. Last week I fasted 3 days, and then ate 4. That’s not bad if that happens again. But I still want to get a 7 day fast in, so maybe this will be my week … ??? I have a very unpleasant week ahead of me at work, so I’ll be distracted and busier than usual.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #162

LOL, just learned that I can click for the reveal. :joy: Honestly that’s a little bit less fun that assuming that you all were cooking unicorn :unicorn: steaks and dragon :dragon: burgers.

(RossanaF) #163

I have been reading and enjoying so much everyone’s fasting experiences. I want to try fasting tomorrow. I’ve been Keto since Jan 4, but seem to be stalled. I have a few questions: what type of electrolytes can I take during fasting? I used to have bad cramps at night. I usually take a power pack but it has 1g of sugar and 4 carbs. Is that ok? Also, how do you break a fast? I see some people cannot tolerate some foods.
I am planning on water, coffee and tea. Is Perrier allowed? I appreciate your feedback!

(KCKO, KCFO) #164

Use Brenda Zorn’s recipe for ketoaide, in expensive and works well for just about everyone.
Any sparkling or mineral water is fine. If it is 36/48 hr. fasting usually no issues. Longer ones, you might want to break with a small salad with a nice oily dressing, and about an hr. later, eat your regular keto meal. A few people have issues with eggs when breaking a fast but that is usually a 4+ day and it doesn’t happen to everyone.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #165

Joining you guys. I really want to go hard this time. My fasting glucose is up to 119 again… no bueno… (maybe there was a bit of a dawn effect there, but still) I plan on getting that down to the 90ies again.

At least 72h is what I am aiming for. Longer would be cooler, I would really like to know how body combat classes feel when over 72h fasted…

EDIT: Weatherforcast is looking pretty solid sunny this week and comparatively warm. what a great week to start fasting.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #166

ACV in Sparkling Water. Yay or Nay during your fasts? I am trying out different things but for right now I am on black americano and saltwater…

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #167

getting close to 18h… i had a poor nights sleep and am currently on my 4th and last coffee of the day (i need to stop before 2 pm)
I had a few tummy rumbles but nothing too bad. my fatigued brain however wants to get me to stuff my face. Sorry not going there brain…

Also.
I want to get back to tracking my numbers a little closer.
I am out of keto strips for ages and only have a few BG strips left.
The replacement is so expensive and is becoming harder and harder to find, I decided to go in for a mojo. the strips are still not exactly cheap, but in comparison i think i pay for the new monitor with the savings of the first order alone.

(Door Girl) #168

Definitely an option, but with a new group of potential friends I didn’t want to be too “weird”. If they become friends, well then they will KNOW I’m weird. No need to scare them off early. :slight_smile: Seems like good candidates though. They weren’t afraid of being too weird. :slight_smile:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #169

You don’t need to worry about electrolytes or how to break a fast if you are doing less than 48 hours at a time. Perrier is definitely allowed, I love sparkling water.

Have you tried some 24 hour fasts yet?

Yeah, I’m guessing most do click just to reveal what’s being said, but that is just a guess. :slight_smile: But at least the option is there, for those who don’t want to read about food. Just an FYI, but you can also ‘blur’ food pics just as well, using the same method. If that option is indeed ever needed. :slight_smile:

For me, as I mentioned, we have a Wedding scheduled this Saturday to go to, so I will probably just do OMAD all this week, with the occasional 2nd meal thrown in to keep it mixed up. But presently planning to Fast the last week of March to top off the Month. Got a couple smaller Fast in here recently, which is something I’ve been wanting to start doing, instead of only shooting for longer Fast and think adding in the shorter Fast will also help keep things from being repetitive.

Agree with @collaroygal. I use Brenda’s recipe as well, and have for some time now. But I do have a few things I’ve added to her original recipe. … I use; 1/4 tsp. Morton’s Lite, 1/2 tbsp. Magnesium Citrate, 1/2 tbsp. Lemon Juice and 1 tbsp. ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar) I also prefer the Cherry Flavored MC.

I don’t see where that would be a problem, and I do like ACV. But can honestly say, I don’t think I’ve ever had a Sparkling Water? At least not that I recall. - I think my Son drinks it, but just water here.

Im going from TMAD(16:8) to OMAD while doing some heavy lifting in strength training today. I will have about 6 hours of fasting after workout which I never done before. I am priming myself up to do a extending fast in the near future.

Actually, some do indeed still have issues breaking even after just 24 hrs. … For myself, I agree, I don’t worry about breaking anything below 48, but there are indeed folks here who have this issue. … It’s all different for all of us, just like how some folks can break with things others can’t. I find Eggs and Nuts to be the main things that will give me issues, but also foods with too much fat as well.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #173

I thoght some of you might have insight how it affects your fasts?
Less/more hunger, less/more energy… you know…

For me fizzy water makes the ACV taste like some fancy cider or tart fermented applejuice… I really enjoy the taste that way.
in still water I can’t get it down…

I can’t recall ever reading where it affects it one way or the other? But do know I use it all the time. I do an electrolyte drink every day, and whilst fasting, I drink two. (morning and evening) … From all that I’ve read while researching, only the Lemon Juice that I add had any information, being it does have carbs. But the amount being so low in a 1/2 tbsp. I don’t worry about it. Plus the benefits from it, such as being a good inhibitor for preventing Kidney Stones, etc. is a plus. (Though never had one of those either)

So, since I use it all the time, I guess I don’t know how ACV affects me? I do know before starting to drink the electrolyte drinks, I would occasionally get leg cramping in my legs at night. But other than that, I can’t provide any additional helpful information on it.

That actually sounds quite good. :slight_smile:

I ended up doing two 40-hour fasts last week. I got another one in on Saturday after the Wednesday “fail.” This week I’m going to try to start doing 40-hour fasts separated by two eating days and see how that goes for a bit. So, the first one will start after dinner tonight and go through tomorrow to Wednesday. On easting days I’m still doing 16:8.

I do supplement with electrolytes quite a bit, but I’ve always had a tendency to get cramps in my feet, ankles, and calves. Occasionally even my hamstrings. So, I take magnesium, calcium, and potassium in pill form just before bed every night. During the day I drink water with Hi Lyte, which is one of the prepared no-sweetener, no-flavor liquids you can get to add to water. It has a lighter level of minerals than the pills, plus some sodium. (I get it on Amazon, and there are other brands that are similar things.) I do all of this whether or not I’m fasting. If I fasted for an extended period (like 72 hours or more), I might increase some of this, though probably not the potassium.

I can’t recall off the top of my head just what the daily recommended amounts are on Magnesium, Calcium and Potassium, but it’s possible you might not be getting enough? (Just a thought) But you would have to check on that to see for sure. … Also, I think it was mentioned in the same thread posted above (for Brenda’s recipe), that some forms of Magnesium are absorbed better than others, and I’m pretty sure? Magnesium Citrate was one of the better ones? (Again it’s been a while since I read it) … Another thing that was mentioned a while back, was the taking of Calcium Citrate, to help with leg cramping. I actually use the same one they recommended, which is Citracal Petites. It says can be taken twice daily (2 caplets per serving) but I only usually take one caplet each evening. … Can’t say when the last time I had a leg cramp was, so I guess it’s working for me presently?

(KCKO, KCFO) #177

Wow didn’t know citracal came in petites. DH has a hard time with large pills, and the regular ones are huge. I’ve never had his issue so I have just taken regular ones and he has passed on supplementing calcium. Since he does have leg cramping fairly often would be great to get the petities for him.

Thanks for mentioning these, Amazon as a source :thinking:

(RossanaF) #178

No, never fasted before. In the past I have gone from 8-9pm until 3-4pm with a coffee and HWC but not more than that. I wasn’t sure I had the willpower to do this, but got so exited by reading these posts and all the benefits this has for sluggish bodies ruined by overcarbing! Last meal was at 9pm (was on the road earlier), it’s 3pm now, so far so good. Not hungry. Tested this morning and Ketones were 0.4 and BG at 103 which is high, weird. Usually is about 92, I’ve seen it as low as 75 on blood tests. I will report back, thanks a million for all the support!