MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #21

At 40 hrs and up early to do both the gym and sauna. Not sure if I’m doing steam room or dry heat. Would like to stimulate a little whoosh effect. Is that even possible via steam or sauna?

Well I guess I will find out.

Headed at least to 48 hours. Will break this afternoon when my wife returns from visiting her sick dad. Family socializing when stress is present takes priority.

@Hardrock_keto_chick, I’ve noticed an absolutely Pavlovian Response in my own psyche, regarding Extended Fasting. Just a few hours of fasting produces an almost reliable “LIFT”. I know it’s mostly all happening above my ears, just like the ringing of the bell produced saliva in Pavlov’s dogs.

(I’m such a goober.)

But “Who would have thought the fasting high would come so quickly???”

Welp… I would have.

Definitely.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #23

The thing is I usually have to fight through 48 -60 h of fasting to get into this deep state of ketosis/ growthhormone production/ autophagy, whatever it is that feels so great. So reaching that point in under 24h was delightful.

bummer I had to end my fast at 40h. Some hormonal shifts plus stress and mansplaining at work had me in she-hulk mode. (I don’t mind men explaining stuff to me in general, only when they try to and have less expertise in said field as I have)

40h is something though, and I will try to go with omad and sticking to my dairfree plan for the time being.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #24

Tried salted coffee/Americano for the first time… I am not sure yet how I feel about it.
Who else salts their coffee?

(Allie) #25

I do x

I don’t, but only because it doesn’t sound right to me.

Is it tasty?

(Allie) #27

I like it. I don’t add a lot, more than a pinch but way less than half a teaspoon. Sometimes Lite-salt for potassium, sometimes sea salt.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #28

it is not as bad as i expected, I found it tastes slightly soapy though… I don’t know if it takes some getting used to…

Hmmmm…

Well, I have actually acquired a taste for Coffee itself, after 5+ decades of being pretty ambiguous about it. So why not??!!??

I’ll give it a shot.

I’ve also acquired a taste for KetoAid, although I tweak mine.

To a 24OZ waterbottle, I add 1 Tablespoon each of Magnesium Citrate and Apple Cider Vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon Morton’s Lite Salt, about 1/8 teaspoon of Ground Ginger for a little spicy flavor, and a little Stevia. I could barely choke it down at first, but with my version, I must say it has waaaaay surpassed being “merely a chore” to drink.

(Allie) #30

Coffee tastes strange to me without salt added now.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #31

Broke my EF at 49.25 hours. Pretty high energy the whole time. Hands got a little cold. Measured ketones and BG and I’m super pumped at my GKI or Dr. Boz Ratio. I have persistently higher BG (think dawn effect all the time) I guess because of insulin resistance. The 77mg/dL value is the lowest yet. The benefit of a longer fast and most days, not EF are IF.

(Carol) #32

Yes, I refeed very carefully and then I’m taking Dr. Fung seriously when he says “feast.” I’m trying very hard to not slow my metabolism like I did on so many previous diets. And because I started keto for health, I want to make sure I’m well nourished. I’ve even managed to incorporate liver and asparagus - the only foods I don’t really like.

I tried ADF and TRE together and it was kind of weird. For some reason, I was always thinking about food which I don’t normally do with a longer fast. I plan to try that again some time in the future because now I’m curious. :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #33

I’ve been eating Liverwurst around my EF window. Its funny, my appetite for it is increasing. I plan to make some chicken liver pate soon. Wonder how that will go.

(Eliz~) #34

Hi! Everyone!
I’m on hour 34 of a 42 hour fast. Feeling a bit tired. This is my 3rd 42 hour fast. I do one every two days. The two days leading up I do 18:6 for re-feeding. I was doing only 19:5 and maybe a 24 hour before but plateud after 7 weeks.

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

I made a batch of chicken liver pate last night, it went very well. Let me know if you need a recipe that is quick and easy. We will eat half of it fresh and I froze the rest for the future. Also made almond crackers to go with it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #36

Yes recipe, please. We will use parmesan cheese crisps as our cracker of choice.

They musta got the Blur Spoiler workin’ again!

YAY!

(Carol) #38

Oh, I have no problem with Liverwurst - can eat a ton of that! I’m not sure if the nutritional value is as high as regular beef/chicken liver? But, yum, Liverwurst spread on lettuce with some avo mayo and onions if I have enough carb budget is a treat! Or spread on zucchini slices…I could go on… :smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #39

Guess I will need to blur all of the following :slight_smile:

Chicken Liver pate
3 slices of bacon
4 oz melted butter
1/2 onion diced fine
1 lb chicken livers
1/2 cup red wine or chicken broth if you don’t use wine
2 t. nutmeg
Sage or Italian spice blend will work well
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook bacon, set aside and cut into fine bits. Leave bacon fat in skillet, add the onion, cook til caramelized, then add in livers and wine, cook for @10 mins. Add spicings and place in a food processor or blender and blend to consistancy you prefer, I like rustic style, but you can let it go till it is more moouse like. Pack into container, remove as many of the air holes as possible, really pack it in there. Allow to cool down, then place in fridge, eat within 5 days or may be frozen. Just defrost on countertop when ready to consume the frozen pate.

I’m about 15 hours into a planned 40 hour fast. This is my third week of doing it once a week in between OMAD on Mondays and Fridays with 16:8s on the other days. This is the first time I haven’t actually been terrified at the prospect of not eating for 40 hours. I don’t know what I thought was going to happen to me, but it’s definitely been more of a mental battle than physical. Especially since I work at home, so I’m only about 20 feet from the fridge in case I need to panic eat or whatever other hysterical reaction I think I’m going to have.

Chicken liver pate is also on my list to make in an effort to get more liver in my diet. This last week I also made meatballs with liver in them. I really liked them–you couldn’t really taste liver, but they just had a much richer, meatier flavor than you’d expect. I wish liverwurst had fewer carbs; I’d eat that more often.