Keto Mayonaise Open Challenge

(Full Metal KETO AF) #44

Gee wiz, sorry Mike. :confused:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #45

Don’t apologize to me, David. :innocent:

Turns out that I fell for the hoax as much as anyone and avoided olive oil for the better part of a decade. I am only now trying to learn the truth so I don’t continue to help perpetuate the misinformation. Even the most processed olive oil, excluding pomace which is only usable as a lubricant, is healthier than any seed oil by a mile.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #46

I just made two batches of mayo, one EVOO, one butter only for the fat.

Ok, I finally realize it is the EVOO giving the flavor I don’t like in it. Which means I’ll save the rest of that bottle for something more suitable to its flavor. Next time I’ll try a lighter olive oil.

Butter mayo… SO GOOD. I just had it with some bacon and asparagus and I think I might die of happiness.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #47

For those who would like to experiment with EVOO but don’t like the strong flavours and aroma inherent in it, I have good news. This brand is currently discounted at the Walmart where I work. But even at it’s regular price it’s still only $9 per liter. I have seen this oil at a number of other local groceries in addition to Walmart at sub-$10 per liter. Curious about it, I did some online research and read lots of good stuff, so decided to try it.

Don’t get me wrong, this is still EVOO and tastes and smells like it. But it’s flavours and aroma are noticeably more subdued than other EVOOs I’ve tried in the past. I used it over the weekend to make chipotle mayonnaise and it worked very well! Of course, chipotle has a strong flavour and aroma itself which masks the EVOO nearly completely. Not quite, the flavour and aroma of EVOO are still there but instead of dominating, they play well with the other flavours and aromas in the mayo.

As a plain, unflavoured mayo, I suspect this EVOO would impart almost as much flavour and aroma as most other EVOOs, maybe slightly less. Still, I think it would work best in strongly flavoured mayos. So if you’re put off by ‘light’ olive oils, this is worth a try, especially if you want a tart and/or spicy mayo.

(Bob M) #48

My preference for California olive oils was that I compared the California one with the Italian one (both from Costco) and liked the California one better. It was “grassier” and had more of a bite.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #49

For anyone interested, here’s the skinny on using saturated (animal) fats in mayo. Not too technical and a good read:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #50

Maybe I’ll throw some chili powder in my olive oil mayo.

Also, I only used butter in my butter version. No other oils. I made it about a week ago and it hasn’t broken yet. Very spreadable right from the fridge.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #51

With only butter, are you sure it’s not Béarnaise sauce rather than mayo? Although, I suppose the difference is technical only, as bérnaise is very similar. I’ll give this a try, as I use lots of Ghee.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #52

(sorry if I missed it) What was the rest of the recipe for your butter mayo?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #53

I used the diet doctor one.

(57 yo female started keto Jul '19) #54

Ah yes OK found it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #55

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #56

So after the better part of a month now, I’m getting a better understanding of what I think is best termed ‘emulsified fat sauces’. There are two basic versions: mayonnaise which is unsaturated oil-based and hollandaise/bérnaise which are saturated fat-based, most commonly clarified butter, but other saturated fats can be used. Bérnaise is just hollandaise with some additional flavouring ingredients.

From a keto ‘good oil’ perspective the only oils I’m aware of that are suitable for mayo are avocado and olive. If you’re not put off by whatever processing has been done to it, ‘light’ olive oil imparts pretty much zero olive flavour and aroma, the two things which can make olive oil-based mayo an ‘acquired’ taste. Although, as I noted above if you make a spicy enough mayo like chipotle you can subdue the olive flavours and aroma to great extent even if you want to use EVOO. And also as I noted, some EVOOs have milder flavours and aroma that makes this a bit easier to accomplish.

Hollandaise/bérnaise, rather than mayo, is my real objective: how to use good saturated fats to make - not mayo - but an ‘emulsified fat sauce’ that looks, feels and tastes like mayo. Clarified butter (ghee) is a start point, then on to coconut oil and maybe cocoa butter. I may revisit lard as well.

Mayonaise on a carnivore diet
Another Carnivore Thread
(Windmill Tilter) #57

I’m keen to hear your report on the ghee mayo (with pics naturally :yum:). It’s on my to do list as well…

(Bob M) #58

You could try this:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #59

This is a variation on my olive oil chipotle mayo, 1/2 & 1/2 Bertolli Light and Terra Delyssa EVOO, with Great Value Aji Amarillo and Habanero Hot Sauce instead of chipotle. This is spicy, but could be a real barn burner with more!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #60

Hmmm… maybe I’ll mix some Frank’s Red Hot into my olive oil mayo…

(PJ) #61

I had Bernaise in a restaurant once and couldn’t quit raving about it. An older friend of mine quipped, “I’d eat a Volkswagon if it was covered in Bernaise.” :smiley:

@Ruina – will you post your specific amounts? I’d love to try the butter mayo with some spices.

General comments
(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #62

I use one thing of butter… 200g? 220g?, a splash of vinegar or half a lemon’s juice a generous scoop of Dijon mustard and two small eggs. It’s a little different each time, so doesn’t seem to be fussy.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #63

After some experimentation, including avocado oil which I don’t like although the one I made with Great Value Aji Amarillo and Habanero Hot Sauce was much more to my liking than either Chosen or Primal avocado mayo, I’ve determined that I like best a mix of 125 gr Terra Delyssa EVOO and 150 gr Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil. This is not as firm as I like mayo to be, so I’ll likely decrease some of the adjunct ingredients to try to get it thicker. When I’ve got it just how I want it, I’ll post an updated recipe.