Keto Mayonaise Open Challenge

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Mayonnaise is an emulsion , which is a mixture of two liquids that normally can't be combined. Combining oil and water is the classic example. Emulsifying is done by slowly adding one ingredient to another while simultaneously mixing rapidly. This disperses and suspends tiny droplets of one liquid through another.

However, the two liquids would quickly separate again if an emulsifier were not added. Emulsifiers are liaisons between the two liquids and serve to stabilize the mixture. Eggs and gelatin are among the foods that contain emulsifiers. In mayonnaise, the emulsifier is egg yolk, which contains lecithin, a fat emulsifier.

Mayonnaise is made by combining lemon juice or vinegar with egg yolks. Eggs (containing the emulsifier lecithin) bind the ingredients together and prevent separation. Then, oil is added drop by drop as the mixture is rapidly whisked. Adding oil too quickly (or insufficient, rapid whisking) will keep the two liquids from combining (emulsifying). But, as the sauce begins to thicken, oil can be added more rapidly. Seasonings are whisked in after all of the oil has been added. Blenders, mixers and food processors make it easy to make homemade mayonnaise, which many gourmets feel is far superior in taste and consistency to commercial mayonnaise.

Source

To make mayonnaise one must use mostly either polyunsaturated (PUFA) and/or monounsaturated (MUFA) oils. Fats which are primarily saturated, will not make mayonnaise unless ‘diluted’ with either PUFAs and/or MUFAs. I won’t go into the details, but you can read them here. Simplified: the molecular structures of PUFAs and MUFAs allow them to be emulsified much more easily than saturated fat molecules. In fact, saturated fats will not emulsify unless diluted to ratios of 4:1, 5:1 and the like.

Most commercial mayonnaise products are made using either canola, safflower or sunflower oil because they contain relatively small amounts of saturated fats:

Source and Source

Of the three canola dominates because it’s cheap. Unfortunately from a keto perspective none of these three oils is desirable due to the processing involved extracting them from seeds under high pressure, heat and often solvents, the PUFA composition each and their respective Omega6 and Omega3 ratios:

Source

The Challenge

The challenge is to develop a keto-friendly mayonnaise recipe that combines a saturated fat, such as butter, lard or coconut oil diluted in an oil that is mostly MUFA and/or PUFA with a decent omega6/3 ratio. It must taste like regular commercial mayo as much as possible and use readily available and not outrageously expensive oil(s), like macadamia oil(!). Both olive and avocado oils are prime candidates but olive oil is very strongly flavoured and avocado oil is relatively expensive, at least for me.Primal and Chosen, for example, produce both coconut and avocado mayo’s that do not taste very good, in my opinion. Plus, they are outrageously expensive.

Ketones are lower
Mind-boggling new blog post by Dr. Michael Eades on complex biochemistry, ROS, ATP (the energy of life) PUFAs, oh my!
Mayonnaise keto
KetoUpgrade by Cobionic
General comments
(Jack Bennett) #2

I have some mayo in my fridge home made from half bacon fat and half light olive oil. It’s not bad…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Recipe, please! What’s the composition of the ‘light’ olive oil. Some so-called ‘light’ olive oils are diluted with canola.

(Jack Bennett) #4

Here’s how I did it. This was my first experiment with this exact recipe.

1/2 cup Costco / Kirkland light olive oil (blend of 85% refined olive and 15% EVOO)
1/2 cup bacon fat (Slightly warmed to become liquid)
1 whole egg
1 tsp or more lemon juice (to taste)

Place ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend with stick blender until thick.

(Sybella) #5

why base the flavour on commercial mayo, when it’s so far off from just an emulsion which will vary in flavour anyway? Who’s to say which mayo is the right taste?

(Bob M) #6

I personally don’t mind mayo made with good olive oil. But I also never ate “real” mayo. It had fat in it. I avoided eating fat.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

I use Chosen Foods because the discount grocery store that I shop at has them often. I hardly use mayo except for the occasional burger or something. Without bread my need for mayonnaise drastically dropped. Homemade mayo has to be used pretty quickly because it breaks so I haven’t bothered. I like the avocado and the coconut varieties. The coconut has a little sugar (still very low carb per serving) and more vinegar in it so it tastes a little like Miracle Whip or Salad Dressing.

I’ve thought of making Baconaise before though for a fun experiment. :man_cook:t3:

:cowboy_hat_face:

I don’t really measure the ingredients, but I make a sort of mayonnaise often like this:

2 egg yolks
Pinch of salt
1/8 tsp Mustard
3/4 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup avocado oil
1/2 cup duck fat, melted but not hot

Mix egg yolks, salt, mustard and lemon juice together in a large bowl. In a measuring cup (or something that you can slowly pour the oil with) mix together the avocado oil and duck fat. Slowly pour the oil into the egg yolk mixture while whisking constantly.

2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp vinegar (or 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp vinegar)
1 tsp honey
1 cup fat (animal fat, low linoleic oil)

(Bob M) #9

Ours has never broken. Maybe we use it before it would? We have chipotle mayo that’s been in the fridge for at least a week. Not broken.

I use it on chaffles. Other than that, to season meats to prevent sticking, in recipes. That’s about it.

I’ve had some homemade stuff in the fridge for 2 weeks, and it separates a little bit, but all I need to do is stir it for a few seconds and it’s fine again.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

Thanks. I made a similar mayo last night using Western Family ‘light’ olive oil and Maple Leaf Tenderflake lard in 2:1 ratio, with one whole egg. I used both white distilled vinegar and lemon juice, regular mustard and Billy Bob’s hot sauce. It’s pretty good, but not yet ready for prime time. Hence, I’m not posting my recipe yet! I was a little leery of the olive oil, but it turned out OK and does not overwhelm the other flavours. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Thanks. Maybe you already know this, but for anyone who does not: I warm the fat in the microwave for just long enough to get it to start to liquify - about a minute. I then add the oil and mix together thoroughly. This makes the fat/oil mixture transparent and I think helps the fat get emulsified better.

Also, for me transparency of the fat/oil mix is important because I use a method where one drops a whole egg into the full fat/oil mix, then lowers the stick blender over the egg. So I have to see the egg! Otherwise, if I miss it, the emulsifying can go awry.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #13

I’ve made mayo with bacon fat, and another batch with coconut oil (if I remember correctly that one was a mix with olive oil.) They both emusified fine, but flavor-wise I prefer just olive oil. But I just don’t use it much these days anyway.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #14

Is the olive oil scandal/scam over yet? For anyone who does not know about this, it started around 2010 when it was discovered that virtually all olive oil exported around the world from Italy labeled ‘Extra Virgin’ was not, and in many cases was adulterated with canola. Further ensuing investigations determined that the false labeling and adulteration were not limited to Italy, although Italy seemed to be the most egregious case of it, due to involvement of the mafia in the olive oil trade.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #15

I recently googled it and it seems to be ongoing. Surprisingly Walmart Great Value brand was one of the better ones at 3 out of 4 bottles tested as real. I’m not saying it is good olive oil, just that much of it seems to be real.

Basically, I don’t know.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #16

Do you have a link regarding Great Value oil? I work at Walmart and if GV is actually the real stuff that would be great. For making mayo, which is the only thing I’d ever use it for, I only care that it has a very mild flavour, since I’m adding other ingredients for flavours and only using the oil to emulsify everything.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

I just tried to answer my own question. The only article I came up with on a quick cursory search is this one from 2010:

Of note:

Great Value 100 percent Extra Virgin Olive Oil: One of three samples failed.

That was 2010. What about now? Do I continue to steer clear of olive oil entirely?

(back and doublin' down) #18

My first attempt!

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup bacon fat
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp Ground mustard (has apple cider vinegar)
Pinch garlic powder
Pinch salt

Having it today with tuna!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #19

You folks using ‘bacon fat’ - what exactly are you doing to get bacon fat? Do you fry bacon for a week and collect the fat each day until you have enough to use for mayo? Does your mayo taste a lot like bacon? Isn’t lard the same thing without the specific bacon flavour? OK, I know lard is rendered and frying the bacon isn’t the same. This could make a yuge difference, yes?

(back and doublin' down) #20

I bake my bacon, usually a package at a time. I strain & refrigerate the fat. The mayo has a bit of a bacon aftertaste but I don’t notice it now in my tunafish. (With dill relish)

I buy a great quality of bacon made locally. When I’m forced to buy typical brands, I notice a significant change in the quality of fat. So unless it’s Wright’s brand or my local stuff, I don’t save the drippings anymore. My dogs appreciate those days lol