Keto & IF while doing night shifts

Hi there,

I’m a nurse and do 12 hours shifts, day and night (7am-pm, vice versa). I’m having issues adjusting to night shifts while on keto and intermittent fasting. My usual eating window is 12pm-8pm and can maintain this while on days. But I just finished my first couple night shifts since starting this diet and I feel super bloated. Because I cannot go a whole night shift without eating, I usually finish my last meal in between 10pm-midnight. I start off my shift with a bulletproof coffee then have a “dinner” at around 11pm. For the rest of my shift, I drink a lot of water. When I get home, I go straight to bed and have my first meal of the day in between 12-2pm.

I’m wondering if anyone sticks to their normal eating window while on nights. If you break your eating window, how you adjust back to your regular routine after finishing your shift/set? What kind of foods do you eat? Any tips on not feeling gross the day after would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

(Rob) #2

Search is your friend!!!

And more now doubt…

(neil) #3

Hi
My first post …
I also work night 17.00 hrs to around 5 am (my feeding window is 13.00 to around 16.00)
I have just started doing to 18 and 6…but mine is more like 20 and 4…i take nothing into work with me but water but the hunger pains come immense and so far i have staved off the need to munch,i believe its far harder than doing IF on nights opposed to days…
On day you could feed from say midday untill 18.00 then goto bed at say 22.00 and get up at 9am and then you only fast for 3 hours…so much easier,but i work perm nights so cannot try this method

I don’t do regular night shifts but I work both days and nights. This article is a lifesaver as it has guided me adjust my IF schedule. I usually do the 16:8 schedule and fasting between 7pm-11am, skipping breakfast. Now when I have to work nights (and eat too), I also adjust my fasting schedule and find the longer fasting period ones so that by the time the new eating period arrives, I have sufficiently fasted.