7pm-7am Night shift workers/Circadian rhythm

(Erin ) #1

Hi everyone
I work 7pm-7am at my hospital. I heard mixed things when I first started that some people loose weight and others gain weight. I seemed to be ok until I stopped breast feeding. Then I gained 20lbs.

I just started IF on dec 1. So far lost 5lbs wooo!! Nothing else worked! I’m happy that I read these books. My question is, do any of you feel it’s harder to loose weight or stay feeling ok, stay in ketosis, stay in fat adapted mode etc etc due to your circadian rhythm being so messed up?

Not having a Normal rhythm is hard on hormone regulation. Has anyone had issues with this? Cortisol? Or adrenal fatigue etc?

I like to do my fasts on my shift nights since I HATE the hospital food lol! It makes it much easier for me. I’m busy and just drink tea all night and don’t need to worry about crying over the hospital food. I was eating around 930 or 1130pm. Now I’ve read that’s horrible for insulin spikes.

I’m just wondering long term if I will have issues with 36 hour fasts with my sleep pattern being so messed up. I haven’t felt anything negative yet, but just wondering.

I can’t follow the same work sleep cycle every night bc I have a one year old and am awake on my off days at 9am. So my working nights I go to bed at 8am and wake up at 3pm. On my off days I go to bed around 2am and wake up at 9am. I don’t have any sort of regular rhythm.

Any experiences with this?

Keto & IF while doing night shifts
(Naomi Brewster) #2

These interviews talk about circadian rhythm and shift workers - perhaps follow up Satchin Panda’s research as he seems particularly interested in affects on shift workers - he was working with first responders

(Bacon for the Win) #3

I worked the same shift for years. It was only earlier this year I went to a day shift. I actually miss nights. I thought it would be easier to fast/eat on a “normal” schedule but the temptations are too real. For night shift I would have a condensed eating window, usually between 3PM and 7PM. At work I’d have water, coffee, tea, bone broth and be fine. Home in bed around 830AM. I found it easier to do three nights in a row, then you can live like a human being for a few days before doing it all over again.

Time to hit the job board again…thanks!

(Erin ) #4

Thanks!!!

(Erin ) #5

Ha! Yes the longer I work nights the more I don’t think I’d want to go back to days. I was just worried about the hormone issues it causes :confused: