Keto and physical appearance

(Paul H) #108

Wait…Whatt? You put ginger, ACV, MCT, cacao and pink salt in a single cup of coffee in the morning? Wholly Zest Moley!!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #109

@Diygurl19 In that case let me offer a suggestion based on my experience. I seldom feel hunger of any sort, even when I miss my daily calorie target by a wide margin. If I under eat for two or three days in a row I’ll start to feel a little hungry, but still nothing serious. Generally the way I notice is that I start to lose weight, rather than feel hungry. So feeling hungry gets my attention.

When I first started to eat ginger root I noticed that I felt hungry the following mornings! That in fact is what prompted me to investigate ginger root as a possible metabolic accelerator. So if you don’t want to count calories I suggest you make no changes to your eating routine, and start with 10-15 grams of ginger root for a few days. If you DO NOT feel hungry in the morning, then eat 5 grams more each evening for a few days. Continue upping the quantity until you feel distinct hunger in the mornings. I would not go above 30-35 grams, however. At that point you’re starting to consume significant carbs just from the ginger root.

Alternatively, you could stay with 10-15 grams of root and reduce the amount of food you eat a little each day until you start to feel hungry in the morning.

Once you start to feel the morning hunger, make no further changes to whatever you’re eating, but STOP eating the ginger root. You can then expect the morning hunger to go away after two or three days as your metabolism returns to its previous level. If in fact this occurs, then you have added evidence to the hypothesis that ginger root accelerates metabolism. If not, then you have added evidence to the contrary.

(traci simpson) #110

I’ll give it a go!

(Karim Wassef) #111

Tried to squeeze a lime in but that was just too much… so I stopped

(Ellen ) #112

I’m new to keto but am retaining fluids. Swollen ankles. Does anyone have any advice to lose water retention?

(KCKO, KCFO) #113

@Ely that is being discussed in detail on this thread;

(Kara Clapp) #114

Yay David! High fives!You are definitely an inspiration to this newbie. :grin:

I think there is a point where if you lose too much you can look quite aged. This happened to me when I kept losing when I was meant to be in maintenance (should’ve upped my carb intake really).

There is a sweet spot for me when losing (and as far as aesthetics go) where I always stop at 10.8 stone (I’m a 5ft8.5 woman). Anything below and my face looks haggard.

Need to find some pics of the difference between my goal weight 10.8 stone and below when I reached 10.2 stone. Stark difference.

(Steve) #116

This might be a little off topic but I am down 50 lbs and down 4 pant sizes but still same golf and t shirts 2xl. I am 6,3 aboutn255 . I know I can’t spot reduce but it’s not my waist it’s my chest that seems to still feel tight. Button up shirts are better .

(Paul H) #117

No doubt… body composition changes without much scale change. People have said I look like I am losing weight but, I really have only lost a few lbs. I am not gaining muscle. but maybe less outer fat and more inner… I dunno. But I look weirder than before and that’s odd…so very odd.

(Katie) #118

Make and drink bone broth. Make your own so you know what is in it. Bone broth contains collagen ina very digestible form. This is the stuff that gives your skin elasticity and makes it smooth. Use unrefined coconut oil as your only moisturizer. Also makes your skin youthful, and you will see the wrinkles ease up and be less deep.

If you are trying to deal with dark bags under your eyes, this could be your liver or thyroid… have them checked.

(Ellen ) #119

Great advice. I’m going start using the coconut oil on my face today.

(MooBoom) #120

word of caution, coconut oil is comodogenic which means it can clog your pores and cause breakouts. I learned this the hard way!

(Ellen ) #121

Thanks MooBoom. My skin is so dry. No pimples or clogged pours yet.

(Wendy) #122

:grimacing: I was taking. Are of my neighbors yard while she was away for 2 weeks. When she got back she said “you look 10yrs older” dont loose anymore weight! Geeze that made me feel good!! But then a client at work said " you look 10yrs younger" that gave me the boost I needed forsure! Kinda forgot about the comment my neighbor said. The poundage lost,and the way I look in the mirror is encouragement enough to continue!!! I have quite a collection of moisturizers and serums. Living in Az is a challenge in its self. :sunglasses: 20 to go!

(Katie) #123

I have discovered that I look quite a bit older. Dry one used to say I didn’t look anything as old as I was…not any more.

I have lose a lot of weight and I think my face is wrinkled quite a bit more because of that. But…I am 68. I think there is not enough time to erase the wrinkles I get now. Skin just isn’t elastic like younger folk.

Before jumping on this…I have been doing bone broth everyday with a bit of collagens added. I use unrefined coconuts oil for moisturizer, take b12 and the electrolytes everyday. Boost my diet with omega 3 and extra vitamin C and K2. Yep…D3 also. I eat a lot of fish and eggs, but take extra just to be sure.

Anyway, back to skin. So I look older than I am. I can live with that because of the other health benefits, but sure wish I could have the great youthful skin and the great woe. sigh

How long ago did you lose the weight? There was someone on here who found his face suddenly aged and haggard after the weight loss but then a few months later posted again and he looked great, and I think a lot of people chimed in to say that they had seen similar patterns.
Our skin just takes longer to catch up…

(Katie) #125

I am still losing weight. I do not know how much because I don’t own a scale…just judging by the drop in pants sizes

Started last April.

So there is still hope. How long did it take him? 1-2 years?

(Scott) #126

I think the combination of weight loss (fat) and water loss is a double whammy at least in the short term but I will take that over a puffy face anyday.

(traci simpson) #127

My Mom told me yesterday that I Iook younger !