Keto and physical appearance

(JJ) #21

Yes, a work colleague told me- ‘You have to choose between your face and your arse’. I chose my arse. I like a smaller butt and enjoy seeing cheekbones due to my choice. As a female I can always use a bit of ‘spack filler’ aka make up primer to fill in my face crinkles as desired.

('Jackie P') #22

He’s a scientologist apparently!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

All of us with loose skin can benefit from TMAD or OMAD without embarking on extended fasts. Keeping your insulin and food intake to the most minimal time triggers autophagy. I have plenty of loose skin now after loosing 1/5 of my body weight in 9 months. Turkey neck, loose belly skin and even wrinkles on my arms and calves. Better than canckles though!:joy:

But closing your eating window to 18/6 or less will trigger autophagy and unneeeded skin will break down into amino acids and be repurposed by your body. Patience is your friend, probably takes longer than fat loss if you’ve lost most of the weight before trying to close the gap on your eating window. I implemented IF at about the 6th month, I should have started earlier but I guess I wasn’t ready.

I have not started with this yet, but I am just beginning to understand the real power that BPC and Fatbombs potentially have with a KETO/IF regimen. New keto people are told that BPC and Fatbombs are the way to get all that fat you’re supposed to eat in (well not so much here but elsewhere). And with Fatbombs they’re usually a means to placate a sweet tooth or to keep newbies from suffering psychologically from dessert elimination and encourage the body to get into fat burning.

But after watching a Ken Barry MD video binge this weekend I learned how these are maybe more appropriate later in keto during the stubborn weight loss and loose skin period most of us hit.

If you drink BPC without butter instead of HWC in your coffee you get no insulin spike at all, as long as you’re not putting in ANY sweeteners either. Most people are affected more by HWC, although if you’re using a pretty small amount some can get away with a very minimal reaction. But not everyone. For most it kicks you out of autophagy.

If you make simple coconut oil based fat bombs that aren’t sweetened with anything artificial they won’t spike insulin either. Using these as tools to progress autophagy you can give you some quick energy if you skimped a little at your last meal to keep the IF going. It will halt burning body fat for a little bit, but not stop tissue autophagy.

So it’s almost like a “cheat meal”, but the good kind of cheat meal! I have not begun using these yet, I kind of hated BPC when I tried it during my 1st month :woozy_face: but I may begin experimenting with BPT and saving coffee consumption for when I actually eat food so I can enjoy espresso with HWC during my eating window. Sometimes it’s kind of hard on my empty stomach anyway, but not so with food.

I have, just from keeping my window at about 16/8 noticed a little skin reduction I believe. But I am kicking it up a notch with this new knowledge and hope to see even better results. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #24

You look glowy to me :smile:

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #25

Thank you - That gives me something to think about.
I used fat bombs early on, and tried BPC. Like you, I didn’t like it. I do like it with HWC of course, but I know that will probably kick me out of autophagy. I actually prefer my coffee black. I keep my eating window between 16/8 and 17/7 while shooting for 18/6. At the same time, I try to listen to my body and sometimes I am just plain hungry earlier in the day.

I am not good with strict schedules and lots of rules - can you guess I am a lazy keto-er?

Which of Dr. Berry’s videos gave you the info on fat bombs and BPC being appropriate later? I want to watch that one. I love his videos. He makes a lot of sense to me.

Anyway, I appreciate your info and I will have to think about making some fat bombs again.

(Diane Dupree-Dempsey) #26

Good ideas!

@JulesyMcJulesface YOU ARE HILARIOUS! I’m so glad you’re here. :laughing:

(JJ) #28

Thanks! That is the nicest thing I have heard today! I am so happy to have found the forums and now feel like I have a keto posse around me. I am smiling from your kind words and my wrinkles are not even showing- I used a cement trowel to fill the lines this morning.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

I’m afraid that the information came from a few different videos. In one he talks about giving up HWC and switching to MCT in his coffee to keep a fasting state. One of the things that I love about him is that he’s not afraid to change his position on things. So he doesn’t try to keep less accurate ideas alive in order to save face. During one video he talks about the MCT coffee and later stresses the importance of vegetables on a ketogenic diet. Later in the day another video he talks about being carnivore for the last year :sunglasses:.

But he never hesitates to give his latest opinion about things. I couldn’t find the Fatbombs mention but he gave a recipe that was something like coconut oil, cacao powder and cinnamon. I guess he froze a tray and cut it into little squares. It has to be kept in the freezer of course but I think he’s also OMAD and uses them to top up if he feels a little hungry later after dinner. I think the whole point is these may not taste very good but they’re sustaining. My impression is they wouldn’t be tasty enough to want to eat anymore than you need to get through the feeding window. There was an autophagy series of videos and it may have been in there. Of course the best most powerful autophagy would come from just water and salt. He did mention that he’s still using oil in his coffee on a more recent video. Sorry I can’t give a good link list, I watched so many. He didn’t actually say that this stuff might be better later, I guess I drew that conclusion because he’s personally doing it now still.:slightly_smiling_face:

(Karim Wassef) #30

This is a phase.

Your skin has been stretched for years or decades of being fat and it’s gotten older as you have gotten older.

When you lose the weight quickly at an older age, loose skin and wrinkles show up in force. Jowls, saggy neck, etc…

This will pass as you keep on - I’ve found fasting and exercise force the body to be more efficient and it starts rebuilding. Careful though because fasting will actually age your features even more before the refeed fills you back up.

A few cycles of fasting and refeed and it’ll catch on and give you the youthful appearance you’re looking for.

Exercise likewise forces the body into a “building” state and helps fix the look of aging.

Make sure you hydrate and take your salts - then increase your protein and fat intake so your body stops losing and hits steady state - it’ll balance your look out after that.

(Darran Rees) #31

Guys your input has been invaluable. It’s interesting to see how others think about these things too. I hope I didn’t come across as vain etc it just got me to thinking, if two weeks of keto seemed to ‘age’ me so fast was I doing the right thing. Was keto right for me…but if these things are transient then it’s worth persisting. Plus I’m only a 2 week keto baby…there’s a few weeks to go possibly before fully adapting and hitting all the true benefits!

The comment about Dr Berg made me Chuckle. While I’ve followed his videos intensely for advice I always did think he always looks pale and tired, almost like his eyes are burning to stay awake . That’s how I feel/look most days! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #32

Before keto: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . After keto:

What’s the problem again?

My N=1 of Fire In a Bottle's saturated fat theory, plus critique
(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #33

Talking from my own personal experience here - I notice a massive difference in my appearance when I fast now. Definitely good to stay off that for now. Keto has actually made my appearance much ‘fresher’ but when I fast I totally notice it. I look kinda tired and like you said ‘grey’ and my skin dries out. Fasting can be extremely stressful on a body that has no fat to lose… Just like you, I have no more weight to lose so maybe you just need to consume more calories and more often. I fasted for the first time in weeks just this Saturday, and omg by the end of the day I looked and felt like shit :rofl: won’t be doing that again in a hurry! :rofl:
Another thing to consider is collagen powder and MSM. I recently started taking MSM on a daily basis because of dreaded keto hair loss and omg the difference in my skin is amazing!!

Just my take on things…Good luck! :blush:

(Bunny) #34

I think part of the reason for what your describing about physical appearance (e.g. eyes sinking into skull, skin looking wrinkly ect.) is lack of fat soluble (liposomal) vitamins that you get from grass fed meats, butters, milk and organ meats. High sugar diets mimic those vitamins, that is why you go back to “looking normal and evening out?”

[1] A review of fatty acid profiles and antioxidant content in grass-fed and grain-fed beef

[2] The Nutritional Benefits of Grass Fed Butter

[3] 6 Reasons to Use Grass Fed Butter on a Ketogenic Diet

(mole person) #35

When my husband first reached the weight he’s at now, 142 lbs at 5’10 and 54 years old, he definitely did look older, jowlier, and more drawn in the face then he had when 15 lbs heavier. He didn’t like it at all and wanted to add some pounds but I really liked the way his physique looked and so he stayed trimmer for me. It took a bunch of months but somehow it all got redistributed back and now he actually looks younger and more vibrant in the face then when he was fatter. Even his colour is better.

(hottie turned hag) #36

I’m WEAK ^^^^^
:rofl:

And Shawn Baker (carnivore, MD, extreme athlete) is hawwttt -brains AND brawn
*swoon *

I suppose it’s individual about the facial appearance. I look much better when I fast. (but then, haven’t done any over 22 hours). Each time I have a long non-eating window my facial features accentuate and my cheeks subside and my face looks more feminine and eyes actually look bigger so it’s flattering.

Same here. It is a little frustrating. I’m hoping it sort of works itself out with time and moisturizer.

(less is more, more or less) #39

May I humbly suggest you’re watching the wrong videos? Here’s from the 2019 Low Carb Denver conference. Not a crappy visage in the group.

(hottie turned hag) #40

#truth^^^^