Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Little Miss Scare-All) #742

Only good way I know is smashing them against a rock on the side where those 3 holes are. But then you end up losing 50% of the coconut water.

I’ll make sure I carry magnesium flint with me everywhere. Just in case I get am stranded. I do keep a survival kit in the cars, and it does contain magnesium flint.

(Karim Wassef) #743

wow… and I thought I was a boyscout (always prepared) :slight_smile:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #744

I had this phase in my life where I was obsessively into primitive fire starting. It’s very, very difficult and if there’s any moisture at all, itxs like banging your head against the wall. I find the bow drill method worked the best.

(Karim Wassef) #745

Ok. I want to make sure I don’t lose lean mass as I go through this adaptive fasting, so I’m going to throw in one more variable…

I’m going to add a pea powder/seed soup that I’m going to allow myself to have in addition to my morning coffee+cacao+MCT and count the macros. The target is to stay under 25g of protein including the Leucine and Carnitine supplements:

The condition is that I need to be under 2 GKI… I think this be adaptive + protein fasting but I felt that I need a little fat, hence the MCT.

Here are the videos that inspired this idea of minimal protein to avoid lean mass loss (ketogains):

I’m also tired of hardcore fasting. :smiley:

I’ll come back to fasting after the carnivore stage.

(Karim Wassef) #746

I used to wear glasses… but I just know they’d break in a survival situation. I like the plastic bag method of fire starting - assuming I have a plastic bag.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #747

Mine break from me just existing at all.

Ooooo that’s a cool one that I don’t know.

Other thing that works well that id never have on me is the 9 volt battery and foil gum wrapper. if you touch one end to the pos, and the other to the neg, viola, a flame. And you would have your kindling bundle all ready to light. Its a nifty one.

(Karim Wassef) #748

Ok. Started the carnivore thread… if you like to join me over there, come on by and say hello!!

(Karim Wassef) #749

oh and before I transition, I’ll share my loose skin success secret… not much of a secret but it is for now. :smiley:

I have to have some fun here.

(Karim Wassef) #750

here’s a video of another n=1 experimenter:

(Karim Wassef) #751

Day 8, phase 3 adaptive fast - maybe protein day

So 2.0GKI… so I’ll probably be under that tonight and can have a protein soup.

If I get under 1.0 then I’ll eat.

(Windmill Tilter) #752

Ouch. That’s pricey.

(Karim Wassef) #753

so… as with any new feedback loop that hasn’t been vetted out, I ran into a conflict of interdependence

The rules were:

1. If GKI > 3 the stop eating
  2. If GKI < 1 then start eating
  3. If GKI < 2 then have 25g protein drink

Sounded good… and then my GKI was between 1 and 2 … and I had a decision to make. I could wait a little longer and see if it dips below 1 triggering that I can eat… or I could drink my protein drink knowing that it will likely increase GKI again meaning that I may not get under 1 again.

So - I drank the protein soup and my GKI went up… basically putting me into a protein fasting infinite loop: if every time my GKI drops below 2, I take a 25g protein drink (that day), then I could indefinetly be suspended above the GKI of 2 and not eat again… ever… LOL

At least until I’m done with the fast.

I hadn’t thought this through clearly, but I had a bug in the program…

But since this is the last week of the fast, I wanted to experiment with it anyway. It’s possible that the protein drink will not last long and I will see GKI drop enough to allow me to eat tomorrow… we will see.

Here’s the actual composition:

I matched the 25g of protein with 25g of fat because my experience has been that protein alone is “unhealthy” to the digestive system. More specifically, plant protein is unhealthy to the digestive system in the absence of exogenous fats coming along. Basically - constipation…

here are my observations:

1. Heat - I’m feeling very warm, even though I’m using ice packs. I can literally feel them melting.
  2. Energy - Much higher energy even though it’s only 300 calories with only 100 cal from protein.
  3. Mood - Much more elevated and calm than before the drink

My measurements went from 66G, 2.4K = 1.5 GKI to 72G, 1.7K = 2.4 GKI … so a 60% increase in GKI.

I’ll measure again in an hour or two and watch for the trend.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #754

Oh, one more thing - :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

That was some of the most informational, excellent, and accurate material I have read on these forums. Bravo!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #755

I’m in!

(Karim Wassef) #756

Day 9, phase 3 adaptive - might be eating day

Currently at 61G, 3.3K ~ 1.0 GKI so probably will eat today

Interesting that the protein soup doesn’t look like it’s reduced the trajectory of my ketone increase… solid ramp. In fact, it’s even better than last week’s ramp.

(Karim Wassef) #757

@Don_Q Nick - watch this

https://youtu.be/eMwlp2p1IwU

Do you think RMR is accounting for breath acetone??

(Karim Wassef) #758

Three more days left in the fast… don’t leave me yet!!! This experiment is not finished :smiley:

Day 10, phase 3 adaptive

My GKI went down to 0.81 last night (57G, 3.9K) so I ate. I ate a lot too… two avocados with lots of EVOO and a whole lime. A large bowl of asparagus and mushroom in a garlic and onion sautéd in avocado oil. A bowl of jute soup and a bowl of pickles. My pea protein soup. Three small bowls of nuts - macadamia, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds…

I didn’t do a macro count but I expected my GKI to take a hit. As long as it stayed below 3, I could eat again today … per the rules.

And it did, it went up to 2 GKI (75G, 2.1K)… but this morning:

That was unexpected… I’m down just under 1.0 GKI (64G, 3.7K) and I feel like I’ve been fasting for a couple of days.

That is truly bizarre given that I probably still have a lot of the digestive flux and water from last night’s dinner… especially the nuts (my vice)

And then I remembered that I made one change last night… and I think this is really important:

There was a question on another thread a while ago about how to reduce GKI without fasting and I had a few suggestions but no really good answer… ACV, MCT, Leucine, Benfotiamine, vitamin C and fasting.

All these work by either suppressing glucose or increasing ketones (or both since they’re related). And I think they really work well.

However, last night I added two new supplements - Berberine and bitter melon extract. I have been researching other glucose and insulin lowering supplements since that thread question and these were the two that kept coming up. I finally decided to include them since I’m concluding this experiment and would like to be consistent with my carnivore experiment supplementation.

And I think they are massively powerful. I think they’re the reason my glucose stayed so low even after consuming the large meal last night. I wasn’t intentionally cheating to get my GKI to drop so fast… really…

I took them again this morning and I am feeling the chills! It’s got all the symptoms of deep fasting but I ate last night. I’ll have to experiment with high protein + berberine and bitter melon… really not trying to cheat so I can eat 26oz steaks every day

You know… just the fact that I have to keep saying that I’m not cheating might be an indictment … :blush:

Today is a heavy chest day. I should have plenty of protein but I’m in a low GKI state … should be verrrrry interesting. I’ll report back in a bit

(Karim Wassef) #759

Pre-workout 64G, 4.5K = 0.79GKI

I have never seen this the day after eating. These are deep fasting results…

I’ll take a reading post lift and sauna and then post UV too…

I’m planning on eating again today and using the full range of glucose reducing supplements again.

Heavy data day given these surprising results.

(Karim Wassef) #760

I am genuinely surprised!

I beat my bench press best and ran a pyramid for 30mins… I felt awesome.

Having high ketones and low glucose as if I’m fasted, but having the high protein top is a weird combination. I’m stronger than ever - best pump so far - intense and high energy. I only stopped because I ran out of time.

It’s literally like taking the best of the fasted state and fed state at once.

In the sauna now for 35 min but I’ll take my measurements after

(Mame) #761

So, so interesting. What format (pills, liquid) and how (night, morning, both, with food, fasted…) are you using these?