Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Omar) #74

For the GKI can we say the the morning readings are more indicative than the night reading?

(Karim Wassef) #75

I don’t think so. I see it as an integration over time. The morning GKI is a measure at one point in time, but I suspect that if I measured it throughout the night, it would still fluctuate, especially in the last hour of sleep.

(Karim Wassef) #76

ok. Ending the night with a Glucose of 56 and Ketones at 4.1, so GKI of 0.76. Better than yesterday’s night numbers, but not at target just yet. :smiley:

Also took a lot of salt and water to make sure I was in good shape after my harsh ice bath results. We’ll see what tomorrow will bring.

(Karim Wassef) #77

Day 6
22.3% (bf%)
180.8 lb (total)
140.5 lb (lean)
40.3 lb (fat)
3.1 (morning ketones) -> 4.1 (night)
55 (morning glucose) -> 56 (night)

Day 7
21.9% (bf%)
178.2 lb (total)
139.2 lb (lean)
39.0 lb (fat)
5.2 (morning ketones) -> TBD (night)
53 (morning glucose) -> TBD (night)

Ok… day 7 and this is the first significant change since the original 3 day flush. Total weight lost is 2.6 lbs with 1.3 lbs from fat and an equal lean mass loss. Not sure what 1.3 lbs of lean mass comes from but I expect it’s connective tissue and fluid mass again.

I was especially worried about losing muscle and hopeful that I’d lose loose skin but I don’t have anobjective measure until the DEXA coming up in 10 days. I am taking Leucine to help some gains from lifting…

Nice morning glucose and ketones of 53 and 5.2 so GKI is 0.57 which is a morning record so far. Going to try to take it easy today.

(Karim Wassef) #78

Midday on day 7 at 45 glucose and 5.9 ketones. That’s gets me to the target goal GKI of 0.4! :grin:

I’m not feeling as energetic today. More lethargic and sleepy physically but mentally still alert. Little more irritable too. I’ve tried some light weightlifting, but it’s not enough. Going to do front and back ice packs to see if I can’t stimulate more energy extraction.

I would expect that near 6 ketones should be tons of energy - just not feeling it yet.

No hunger. Just dispassionate lethargy.

Here are the updated charts & tables:

(Karim Wassef) #79

The ice packs helped a bit with energy - and I’m still trying to take in more salt and water to deal with the fasting chill.

I am concerned with the large lean mass loss in one day (1.3 lbs) in spite of the large bf%.

Any ideas?

Here’s my hypothesis… I think the first ~4 lbs of lean mass loss (2.6+1.3+0.2) were actually remains of digestion that slowly moved out of my system over the first three days. This includes fiber that ferments in the gut. That means it’s not really “me” losing lean mass, but it’s me “eliminating” all digestive matter. I’m trying to say this as clinically as possible, but I’m sure you guys understand what I’m saying… So those 4lbs don’t actually relate to lean mass loss… just bad measurement.

The last ~2lbs though are more likely related to real lean mass loss in blood volume, skin, connective tissue, glycogen, etc…

Loose Skin autophagy vs muscle loss
(Karim Wassef) #80

Feeling a bit better. Glucose 39 Ketones 6.1 so GKI of 0.36.

I expect it’ll go up a bit before the end of the night but that’s right on target. Still surprised it took 7 days but hopefully I can keep it up.

Wife is cooking some of my favorites to entice me but I’m still not hungry. :smiley:

you guys have been pretty quiet since I started sharing my plots and tables… too much info? too geeky? any advice or feedback?

(Pan Dulce) #81

I’m just lurking and a little in awe. I don’t understand all of what is going on, but I am having fun looking at the charts and watching the changes. For what it’s worth, I especially appreciate the thought diary. I am just getting into some extended fasts and I am interested in what others experience at different stages.
Keep it up and good luck!

(Karim Wassef) #82

Thanks for the feedback! And welcome :smiley:

Ok… ending the 7th day at a glucose of 49 and ketones at 6.2, so ending GKI of 0.4. Not bad for the end of the first week. Tomorrow is the beginning of the second week… more adventures to come. :smiley:

(Will Madams) #83

Loving the updates I’m interested in what sort of workout youre doing with the weights. I’ve always lifted along with traditional powerlifting but I’m worried that could be too taxing on the body during a fast

(Carol) #84

I’m finding your experiment and data quite interesting but I’m just quietly following along. :smile:

(Doug) #85

I like hearing how you feel each day, Karim - always interested in this. Lots of individual variance. Glucose down into the high 30s - the old insulin sensitivity should be gaining. :sunglasses:

All the weight/lean/fat data is cool too - it will be good to see where it all shakes out at.

(Karim Wassef) #86

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support.

Day 7
21.9% (bf%)
178.2 lb (total)
139.2 lb (lean)
39.0 lb (fat)
5.2 (morning ketones) -> 6.2 (night)
53 (morning glucose) -> 49 (night)

Day 8
21.7% (bf%)
177.6 lb (total)
139.1 lb (lean)
38.5 lb (fat)
4.7 (morning ketones) -> TBD (night)
57 (morning glucose) -> TBD (night)

So I think today is the first real day of fasting. The first week was really preparatory.

The first three days I was still eliminating digestive matter and basically living off that, so not really consuming my own fat or being autophagic. It’s a little humbling to think that fasting three days a week like I have been is really just resetting my digestive system, nothing more.

The last 4 days of the first week, my body was actually starting to recalibrate for fasting and that’s why my glucose and ketones pushes extremes with a preference to high ketones since I’m reasonably fat adapted.

But I think it’s starting to reset now into real fasting mode where my body is going to try to optimize and improve efficiency without any expectation of eventual exogenous sources of energy. So that’s why I think today is the first day of real extended fasting. Finally tapped into it. Days 6-7 were the real shift in blood volume so my cold shock was well timed.

Last night, I did some HIIT and it really warmed me up. I felt like I was literally glowing with heat afterwards. So amazing what 30mins of intense activity can do. Woke up warm too.

So this morning - looks like I’ve lost 0.5lbs of fat and 0.1lbs lean mass. That’s more normal so looks like I’m fast-adapted now. I’m going to set an alarm each hour to remember to take a teaspoon of salt… I really need to keep my body’s electrolytes and water up. Going to take an hour weightlifting today (2x my usual) so I can go to lower weights higher reps.

Ketones lower this morning but I think that’s the efficiency circuit kicking in to optimize my use of my own fat reserves more “prudently”. GKI of 0.67 so it’s trying to avoid going too deep into autophagy … I get it, but I’m going to kick it in the tuckus at the gym so it knows that fasting isn’t a holiday from real hard work.

Overall I feel good and energetic. We’ll see how it goes. :smiley:

My next DEXA is next Friday March 22nd. That would be 18 days. I need to get there and then I can recheck my variables and see if I’m on target. I really want to get to April 28th but I have to take it one day at a time or else 55 days feels and looks like forever. For now, I’ll try to go two weeks between validation tests.

(Karim Wassef) #87

I think we underestimate what our bodies can do and our bodies are designed to keep us alive, not athletic… so if you demand less, it gives you the least it can get away with.

I lift 30-45mins each weekday. I do shoulder and chest Wednesdays to establish some sense of order but I shake up the rest of the week alternative legs, back, arms and core.

(Karim Wassef) #88

Thanks. I get little home support and just mentioning my ketones makes my wife walk away in disgust - not eating her food makes her irritable & makes her think I’m irritable… lol :joy:

My kids are more interested but it’s like a video game to them… daddy got 6.2! High fives!!!

I like keeping a mental diary too. It helps when I articulate what I’m feeling and thinking. I get to say it and then grip it so I can influence it. Also helps me see my progression when I feel stuck.

8 days officially makes this my second longest fast so every bit of support, feedback or just discussion keeps me going.

The OldDoughouse

Me too :slight_smile:

Good luck @Karim_Wassef! Seems like you’re moving along beautifully!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #90

You’re over there with your ice packs, and I’m over here in my office with a space heater pointed directly at my legs.

Nice ketones!!! I hit 3.5 yesterday with a full day of eating even. I’m sure these will drop a bit when I’m fully fat adapted.

(Karim Wassef) #91

I do sauna and ice packs. It’s about stretching the dynamic range of my adaptation… :slight_smile:

Ok… so this morning I was 57G and 4.7K… a few hours later, I was 55G and 4.7K. That’s remarkably consistent… then I lifted for an hour and sauna for 30min… 54G and 5.8K.

Hope you all don’t mind my shorthand G for glucose and K for ketones. That’s a GKI drop from 0.65 to 0.52. Lifting fasted rocks.

Recently when I exert myself, my ketones drop and glucose goes up… this time my ketones shot up and glucose stayed very very flat.

I think this is the fundamental switch- during the first week, my body is anticipating exogenous sources of calories “he’s going to eat sometime…”. But in this deep fasted state, it’s not expecting food, it’s expecting more of the same and will overshoot it’s ketone production to make sure we make it through whatever is happening.

I can see it as a significant survival aid while hunting, for example… it actually makes sense why my results seem inconsistent. I was looking for a linear model but the body is all about adaptation and it is explicitly nonlinear and incredibly individual. It’s absolurely amazing.

I have a ton of energy … and the mental clarity I’ve been seeking is finally coming into focus. Calmness too- diggin it…

Much love for all the support. :smile:

(Karim Wassef) #92

Ok… after UV, I’m at 52G and 5.8K so 0.5GKI. Usually after so much stress, I see it drop but the trend continues…

I am amazed at how consistent my glucose is… 52 to 56 all day. Two more measurements left today.

I am feeling physically tired but mentally alert and calm. I think I’ve run it a little ragged today :slight_smile: and it’s complaining.

(Karim Wassef) #93

Ok. Ending the night a bit early today. Feeling physically exhausted.

Closing numbers are 52G and 6.2K so just at 0.47 GKI. Looks like I’ve stabilized to this level for now. Taking it easier tomorrow so we’ll see what that does.

:smiley: