Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Karim Wassef) #21

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. I had no idea. I’ll study up more!

My usual is 3000-3500 cal when I lift and 2800-3000 when I don’t.

It’s my own chart in excel. I use my iPhone to track my data and then I send it to myself and then load it into the excel. It’s due for an update soon.

(Karim Wassef) #22

Day 2
23.6% (bf%)
186.2 lb (total)
142.3 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.1 (night ketones)
73 (morning glucose) -> 51 (night glucose)

My scale registers these massive jumps in body fat, but I suspect it’s just water-filled adipose fat that flush once I start the fast. But aparently, I went from 25% to 23.6% bf in 24hrs. I also went from 193.2lb to 186.2lb… so 7lb in one day (yes, there was a lot of pee).

The one that bothers me is the “lean” weight loss from 144.9lb to 142.3lb… so 2.6lbs of non-fat. Again, I don’t think it’s really muscle loss. I expect it’s the water loss from the glycogen depletion in my muscles…(yes, more pee).

(Windmill Tilter) #23

Subscribed… :slight_smile:

(Mel Simpson) #24

Are you still doing this?

(Karim Wassef) #25

Yes. I’m only on my third day. I may actually stop tonight and restart tomorrow.

I have a business obligation that I can’t avoid and I see a benefit in some olive oil and fibrous salad to clear out my digestive system. Almost zero calorie but I’ll still consider it a break & restart the official count tomorrow.

(Karim Wassef) #26

Day 3
22.9% (bf%)
182.8 lb (total)
140.9 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.0 (night ketones)
81 (morning glucose) -> 71 (night glucose)

Another big day of flushing water… 10.4lb in 2 days, with 4lbs of that “lean” ~ glycogen and 6.4lbs “fat” ~ adipose cells. So it artificially looks like a 2.1% bf% reduction.

(Doug) #27

It’s great to see the data you’re generating, Karim. Nice blood sugar numbers. :sunglasses:

(Karim Wassef) #28

Thanks. I’ll get to plotting it on my GKI timeline this weekend. Too few data points till then.

(Doug) #29

On the lean mass loss - I’d think the glycogen-depleting effect would only go so far. We store 400 to 600 grams of glycogen, and even if every molecule has 3 water molecules with it, it’s still only a total of 600 to 900 grams then (with water having almost exactly 1/6 the atomic mass of glycogen) - so perhaps an upper limit of 2 lbs here?

Water loss in general, as a little from blood volume and most from intracellular spaces, likely 5 to 6 lbs. before you’re going to really start feeling it - faintness or tiredness. Much of this could be seen by a scan as lean tissue, depending where it is. It would also be limited by electrolyte supplementation.

(Karim Wassef) #30

I’ve been eating pink salt, Mg, K and I supplements as fast as I can… and still 4lb of lean weight loss in 2 days.

I know its not muscle loss… Urine would be discolored if it was… amino acids

It’s a beautiful straw yellow (TMI I know) :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #31

Ok. Survived my business obligation fasted!! Woohoo

So that makes today Day 4…

Day 1
25% (bf%)
193.2 lb (total)
144.9 lb (lean)
0.4 (morning ketones) -> 1.8 (night)
82 (morning glucose) -> 73 (night)

Day 2
23.6% (bf%)
186.2 lb (total)
142.3 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) ->1.1 (night)
73 (morning glucose) -> 51 (night)

Day 3
22.9% (bf%)
182.8 lb (total)
140.9 lb (lean)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.0 (night)
81 (morning glucose) -> 71 (night)

Day 4
22.6% (bf%)
181.8 lb (total)
140.7 lb (lean)
1.1 (morning ketones) -> 1.9 (night)
68 (morning glucose) -> 61 (night)

Finally- took 3 days to break through the water and glycogen and get into real ketosis again. I think the 3 days a week fasting has made my body resilient so it now stores that much in non-fat to ease through that weekly fasting routine.

Only 1lb lost in the last day and only 0.2lb of that was lean … also today’s the first day with morning ketones over 1.0 and glucose below 70. I would say that this makes day 4 the first true day of biological fasting - that’s my opinion anyway.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #32

I just got my Keto Mojo the other day. Which one do you use? I’m stoked to have it because I’m still at the beginning and it’s very interesting logging and seeing patterns, if any. This morning I was 1.8 which I was happy with. Yesterday I got to 2.1, also very happy with. My body usually does stupid things, and slowly, so I figured I’d be one of those people stuck at like .4 all the time. Not so! :metal:

(Karim Wassef) #33

I get into the zone when I fast. My highest was 7.2 after 12 days.

Our bodies are wired to save energy. Mine literally tracks everything I do and tries to optimize constantly. It’s very smart and I have to actively mess with it to get it uncomfortable.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #34

Wow that’s awesome!!! I havent EF’'d in a bit, but I’m happy that while IF 20/4 I Hover around 1.8-2.2. As soon as I feel more fat adapted I’m going to do an EF. Used to never be able to do them while eating copious amounts of carbs. I was like Satan and no one wanted to deal with me lol

(Karim Wassef) #35

Gets better. As a negotiated term with my wife, I’ve added a “calmness score” that only she can provide during my fast.

So far I’m hovering between 7 and 8 (out of 10). I like setting targets. Helps me focus. :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #36

Ok. Best day was Dec 20 (8 days in) with 7.3 ketones and 53 glucose… GKI = 0.4 … love that sweet autophagy.

Funny … my GKI seems to bottom out at 0.4 to 0.6. Don’t know if that’s just my personal limit or a biological limit for most people.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #37

Good doggie gets a bone huh lol!!!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #38

So GKI is (blood glucose/18) / Ketone level? If so mine’s 2.7. If my blood glucose was just 90 and my Ketone level was 1.8, is 2.7 a good number? I’m currently not fasting other than IF 20/4 but usually just make OMAD out of it.

(Karim Wassef) #39

2.7 is great! I’m at 3.4 after 4 days… I think that’s because I’m more fat adapted now… too damn efficient.

I created 5 zones in my chart. Under 1 is deep autophagy.

1-3 is deep ketosis and autophagic

Keeping Ketones High
(Karim Wassef) #40

She’s not supportive of my long extended fasts… she says it takes me a week to not be irritable so the agreement was that I would actively control my calmness and she could score it to help me improve.

I will say that one unexpected benefit of cold showers and ice baths is that my mood is remarkably elevated. Not sure why or how yet but there is a definite link.