Loose Skin autophagy vs muscle loss

loose-skin

(Door Girl) #131

Chiming in to share my experience with scars. In the first weeks the scar from my broken femur surgical repair started itching like crazy. Now I’m 9 weeks in and have been IF (2MAD with a 4-8 hour eating window usually) for a good part of this naturally. The scar is far less noticeable now, both visually and when I run my hand over that site. I also likely repaired muscular damage below, as physical compromises I’ve had for nearly 10 years went away after intense and painful work in martial arts as that damage was my weakest link by far.

I’m also 22 pounds down in 2 months, and my skin is getting tighter than it was at the start of my journey.

Just my n=1, but wanted to share.

(Raj Seth) #132

Sauna is dry heat.
As for walking outside to get the sauna effect, Houston is not a sauna. Ive never lived there, but I spent 10 yrs in Calcutta (same 98dF/98RH) - it just feels miserable muggy sticky. New Delhi is a Sauna - 105-115dF and desert dry I lived over 10 yrs there too.

(Jane) #133

I was thinking of a steam sauna when I wrote that. Shanghai in the summer is just as bad. Worse, actually since A/C is not near as common

(Raj Seth) #134

Ahhh - Steam Sauna
Around here (NJ, USA) Sauna is always dry, and Steam room is wet.

(Mel Day) #135

Didn’t Richard do the math on how we make glucose from fat and protein in the absence of food? His numbers indicated a certain minimal percentage of protein was up cycled. I believe I’ve heard Jason Fung say this minimal protein comes from excess skin and damaged tissue. He explained that is is cannibalized in the fast to meet the protein requirements.

(Karim Wassef) #136

Here’s my update…

I’ve been fasting and lifting for a week today. I ate 6000 cal OMAD KETO for a full week before and 4500 cal two weeks before that. I wanted to intentionally beef up and even fatten up a bit in preparation for this long multi-week training fast.

I managed to go from 165lbs to 195lbs in a few weeks and I’ve come down to 178lbs in the first fasting week. The difference is that the weight loss is not resulting in the same loose saggy skin I got with keto weight loss. I feel much tighter.

I am taking a Leucine supplement too. Here’s the fasting thread if anyone is interested

(KCKO, KCFO) #137

Is this what you were referring to, Richard’s calculator for how much you can access from your stores? Great blog post.

(Karim Wassef) #138

I really don’t think this formula applies to heavily fat adapted people. If it was, I couldn’t have made it for a week of fasting with a RMR of 2700 calories. My transfer rate isn’t the same as someone who’s been eating a SAD diet. My lipid levels are substantially higher also because I’m moving fat around at a hectic pace.

The idea that the rate of fat transfer is a function of starting metabolism and available fat for ALL individuals seems overly simplistic to me and misses a large number of unique variables.

Hi Tim. If you are into listening to podcasts. This STEM-talk episode covers a bit about branch chain amino acids and discusses leucine.

https://www.ihmc.us/stemtalk/episode-82/

(Ben ) #140

too many things going on. Sorry

(Karim Wassef) #141

? Accidental reply ? :slight_smile:

(mole person) #142

I agree. I think it breaks down completely with the metabolic shift. I’ve been doing OMAD for the better part of two years almost every day. According to this formula I can only access 650 calories from my fat daily or suffer metabolic slowdown. Yet I need about 1300 a day just for my RMR and generally at least 1700 for maintenance. So if the formula worked I should have had a reducing metabolic rate and a loss of lean mass over the the last two years but in fact I’ve had the exact opposite.

(She Talks2angels2000 ) #143

I have personally used IF for the loose skin throughout my journey. It is slow but working! Especially around my stomach. My arms though is much slower. I was told by a doctor they wouldn’t even consider surgery until I had been at my goal weight for two years. Then I read an article that said if you continue IF approx 2 years after reaching goal weight you could lose all the loose skin. That’s what I’m working towards but like you I am just about ready to start building a little muscle now,

(Jane) #144

@x-Dena-x I replied thanks for the link months ago and then promptly forgot about it! I’m glad this thread was bumped and I read back through it. The set of brushes for face and body that was recommended in the link was less than $25 on Amazon so I just ordered them.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #145

You will NOT regret. Makes a huge diff. When I had my accident and couldnt brush my lower half for a month, my legs got dull and more rough. As soon as I started again-back to smooth n glossy lol.

(Jay Patten) #146

You plan on a 24 day fast?!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #147

I also thank @x-Dena-x… I just dry brushed for the first time tonight, inspite of the recommendation of doing so in the morning because of the energizing effect. Well, I won’t argue energizing, but I’d add that it is relaxing as well. Anti-stress I would say encompasses both energizing and relaxing. And my skin does feel nice.

Now that my hair is closer to the very short bob rather than pixie length, I’m once again considering going native and showering at night rather than in the morning. Especially since this fancy apartment I’m in now has (can you believe this) hot water in the kitchen, not just the shower, so I can easily and comfortably deal with any bed-head situations that may arise. Since there is no way I’m taking the time to dry brush in the morning, night showers would also lend to incorporating this into the routine. It may also incentivise me to take the time in the evening when I do have the choice ranter that showering in the morning, when it is the imperative.

We shall see! Regardless, it was some nice self-care tonight.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #148

@Ruina that’s awesome! And truth be told, I shower at night on gym days, and dry brush then. I dont find it to keep me awake, but then again, nothing seems to do that lol.

(Karim Wassef) #149

I need to shower twice a day every day. First thing in the morning and after lifting.

God blessed my wife with a strong sense of smell … so maybe 3 times a day? With lots of brushing for loose skin, I should be done in no time.

(Jane) #150

I got a ship notice and they are supposed to be here on Friday - YAY! If they aren’t delayed that means I can take them with me to Chicago and brush my skin next week.

The set has a long handle brush that you can swap out the brush head on. A softer one and a firmer one. They recommend starting out with the softer one until you are used to it. Then it also comes with a smaller one for your face.