Just starting on Monday

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Nope! Just start.

Remember to keep your salt intake up and drink to thirst, so as to avoid the keto flu.

Let us know how you do, okay?

(Ellie) #3

The only prep I would do is to read loads on here and also www.dietdoctor.com to make sure you have the right foods understood. Then clear out your cupboards of carbage if you can, and do a shop to stock up on lots of good keto friendly stuff so you won’t run short and get tempted by sugary things.
Keep up your electrolytes if you feel ropey in the first few days. Search for ketoaide on here and you’ll find a recipe.

Good luck and congrats on making the decision.

Cheers guys. I’ve just started stocking up today. Got plenty of meat, cheeses, eggs salamis, butter, cream oh, and some coconut milk (not sure why yet but, I see it brandished about here quite a bit!). I won’t bother with the greens till Sunday, so they are fresh.

What is ketoaide?

Can I expect to put weight on for a few days while I’m throwing fat into me but, not yet in keto?

(cheryl) #5

I am sure i started wrong ,but i tapered off over a few days … like i had a couple of green apples in the house so i made chicken salad with the apples, and quit soft drinks, and all sugary stuff as a first attempt at low carb’ing it – then it lessened the effects of the flu for me

(Raj Seth) #6

That depends on
stats? M/F, age, ht, wt, how many years of yoyo dieting, T2D?, etc.

You may find (as many many many do), that without the carbs, you just can’t eat quite as much and mosdef not as often - especially if you only eat when hungry, eat till full/satiated, and can resist eating when the clock says its time to eat, and the brain wants to eat, but the body is quietly saying no…
Men coming from high carb diets can often actually lose weight initially as the body dumps water along with glycogen. salt goes with the water, so have lots lots lots lots of salt. Salt & hydration can preclude keto-flu symptoms

Embrace the fat - it will set your fat free!

As others stated, reading these forums are a great way to get a good idea of what you need to do. And it seems the more you learn, the easier you will find it. … A lot of folks come on here and one of their concerns is how to get the fat they need with meals. - Well, this is easier than most believe. If this becomes an issue for you as well, simply visit the ‘What did you Keto today’ thread to get some great ideas. it can be found here.

You will find that a nice hamburger, piece of chicken or steak is all you need for your protein, but you will find the fun is in loading it with plenty of good fats, which can make it a great meal! … Again, do a little research on here, as well as some other Keto Friendly sites, and you will soon find more recipes and ideas for meals, that you can’t wait to try out. :slight_smile:

And here’s the KetoAide thread, in case you haven’t found it yet.

And Welcome!

Ah ok, a couple more things for the shopping list, for ketoeaide!
I should have said already…

48yr old
Male
226lbs
no idea about my blood sugar levels except to say, they have always been low around 1 - 1.5 ish I will get a bit ropey if I haven’t eaten for a while.
play a lot of golf and gym for around 30 - 45 mins a day

I’m very nervous about cutting out sugar, because of my usual low sugar levels.
My plan is to just start, cut carbs to less than 20g a day, and see what happens. I will get a bit more ‘picky’ about it when I know what I’m doing!

Hey another one for you guys…peanut butter. If I take the fibre away from the carbs, it is quite low in net carbs. So I can have peanut butter quite often?

What do I do with the foods that list fibre higher in value than the carbs?

(Ellie) #10

Peanut butter is ok, but count the carbs as they add up.
Are you uk or US or elsewhere?
In the UK fibre is already deducted, so the carbs you see are net carbs. In the US they aren’t but then the fibre can’t be more than the total number of carbs.

(Cynthia Anderson) #11

I accidentally started a week ago lol. I meant to go low carb (50-100g) and ease into it to try to avoid keto flu. Then I found I just didn’t want the carbs from day 1.

I expected to have trouble giving up bread but I found tortillas with only 4 net carbs.

Seriously, they are net carbs on the label? The label lists fibre as well.

How many carbs are you on now?

(Cynthia Anderson) #14

Mememe in rereading your post and granted I’m new too sugar counts as carbs. IMHO to cut to 20 carbs right away it means being very picky.

I went so far as to change peanut butter brands. My normal one had 4g carbs. My new one only 2. I got the lowest carb jam I could find as well.

(Cynthia Anderson) #15

The tortillas advertised net carbs as on the package. To get my net carbs I usually subtract fiber from total carbs.

Unfortunately I don’t have a total carb count and it varies daily. Generally 40 or less. Last night I ate way too many simply because I didn’t have cheap easy access to keto friendly foods.

I didn’t even track my carbs the first few days. I started my day low to no carb intending to eat carbs for dinner then not wanting them.
Tuesday I thought I was in light nutritional ketosis.

I got some pee strips and I was.

I work tonight too but I just ate scrambled eggs and mushrooms so I won’t be hungry.
I think I had about 10g of carbs for far but to be safe I’ll count 15.
I know my tortilla had 4g. I think I had a serving of pb and jam. That would be 4g

I had about 1/4 c of mushroom in my egg so I’m guessing 4g

So current total 12 to 15g.

I guess I should start keeping a food log and measuring my food.

Fwiw (for what it’s worth) kerrygold butter is the best butter I’ve ever tasted.

(A Tabitha Ann Swanks) #16

I didn’t gain any weight (I actually dropped 6lbs the first week) and I really upped my fat intake.now I’m around a month in and I’ve lost 13lbs. My advice is

1. This forum is (imo) the best thing a keto person can have.
  2. Pinterest is the second best. There is a keto recipe for everything.
  3. Get you some baking supplies (almond flour, coconut flour, HWC, etc…) They will make sticking with it so much easier.
  4. Water flavoring was a life saver. Just make sure to read the ingredients.

This is all really good stuff guys, thanks to you all.

(Ellie) #18

Yes, it shows fibre as a separate item, but in the UK the carbs are net.

(Frank) #19

Your mileage may vary in any aspect of this journey. I wouldn’t expect your path fit into a neat set of rules and results. If you follow the basic rules, low net carbs,adequate protein based on lean body mass, and fat to satiety. Trust that process, listen to your bodies satiety cues, adjust fat as necessary, you’ll be fine.

Ok so, my first day is under way and, I’ve had my first meal.
Nothing too exciting, bacon eggs and greens.

I have tried to attach a doc to show my intake.

Keto 27818.csv (324 Bytes)

Does this work guys?