Just starting on Monday

Keto 27818.csv (324 Bytes)

Does this work guys?

Yep, it does indeed. … Now, what is streaky bacon? :slight_smile: Or is this just everyday bacon, to which has a name I’ve never heard, describes it? Thanks.

Not sure what you call it around the world.

Streaky-bacon

How did you get the excel file to show in the post?

I tried it but, it was all garbled up!!

(Heather ) #24

You sound just like me! Those are all my staples!

I just opened the excel file, and then did a quick screenshot for posting. If you’ve never use it before, and are on windows, search for the snipping tool. On Mac, you can do a screenshot or selective screenshot, using shortcuts which I don’t have with me here at work. … But they are very nice tools to clip and post just what you need. If you need to Mac info, let me know and I will post the info when I get home this evening.

Oh of course. Sorry pal, I thought you’d copied and pasted the actual Excel cells into the post :exploding_head:
You can do that in some forums, maybe not in this one!

I have had my second and last meal for the day. So here are my totals for day 1:-

I am a little high with protein and a little low with fat. This is from the cheese quantities I think. Also, I haven’t added anything for the Stevia or the squirts of vimto flavouring. I can’t find anything yet, the vimto flavouring label says 0% for everything! Surely this can’t be true…it has to have SOMETHING in it ??? I will find some info for the Stavia tablet, it was Truvia brand.

EDIT - The protein is bumped up significantly by the pork scratchings, not really the cheese.

(Barbara Ross) #27

About how much salt do I need? I read where one person added just a shake or so to each glass of water, too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Several recent studies show that the sweet spot for sodium intake is at 5 grams daily; which works out to 2-1/2 U.S. teaspoons, slightly less in Imperial measure. Since these studies were done on the general population, the vast majority of whom were certainly not eating keto, it seems likely that on a ketogenic diet we might need more, but how much more is an open question.

The risk curve is a sort of slanted J. In other words, the lower your intake is below 5 g, the more steeply your risk rises; the more you eat over 5 g, your risk still rises, but not as steeply. HOWEVER: if you have heart disease or high blood pressure, be very careful, because the risk curve for those populations is just as steep on both sides of the 5 g sweet spot (in other words, it’s a U not a J, but the sweet spot is still 5 g).

You might want to take a look at this lecture by Andrew Mente to the recent Low-Carb Breckenridge conference:

Second day down. Went ok but, I ate way too much protein. And, I was very sick, throwing up a lot… still feeling sick today but not actually vomiting. I don’t feel so bad except the feeling of needing to be sick.

Is this normal? I haven’t read of people vomiting, just flu like symptoms.

Also, I know we’re not counting calories but, I had 2500 yesterday. Surely that’s too much?

(Ellie) #30

The key is to listen to your body. If you are hungry, eat. If not, don’t!
If you ate 2500 calories but you were genuinely hungry, then its fine. If you stuffed yourself to the point of feeling sick, then that not what eating to satiety is about.

Vomiting is not a normal side effect. Perhaps you ate beyond satiety, but perhaps something you had wasn’t cooked fully.

Maybe your right, I will be more careful. Just as a note tho, I’ve NEVER made myself sick through eating…ever. I think it may be something wasn’t right :frowning:

If we eat too many calories, we will put on weight right?

(Ellie) #32

I suspect is was a bit of food poisoning. I don’t think 2500 cals is enough to be worried about in any way. It is a pretty normal day for me!

The calories in calories out thing is not as straight forward as people think. So if you eat a lot of calories you may not put on weight.
The reason is that the number of calories you take in affects the number of calories you burn. Eating a reduced number of calories will lower your metabolism as your body realises that there isn’t quite enough fuel and cuts back on some processes. By contrast increasing the number of calories you eat can raise your metabolism and increase the number of calories you burn in a day.
The issue is that you never know how many calories you are burning, so how can you ever know how many you need to eat? Internet calculators have no idea what your metabolic rate is so they are pretty meaningless.
If you eat to satiety, then as you become fat adapted you will naturally eat fewer calories because your body will be using its own fat stores. This should happen fairly naturally over a few weeks.
In the meantime, don’t stress about calories. If you are hungry, eat a meal. Don’t snack. KCKO!

I will take your advice and carry on for a few weeks and see what happens :):grinning:
Thanks for your help Ellie, it’s good to have people to talk to about keto. The guys here are very helpful.

Felt sick all day, and still am :frowning:

Checked my BS… 4.1, which is really good for me (normally much lower). Not really sure how that works out but hey…I’ll take it!
Also measured my ketones…1.6. So I figure that means I’m in ketosis right?

(Ellie) #35

Yep, definitely in ketosis. Well done on the blood sugar level too.
I hope you feel better soon.

(Jane) #38

I would occasionally have low boood sugar events, complete with the swearing, shakes, the whole nine yards. Used to pack a granola bar in my backpack at all times just in case.

Haven’t had a single episode since going low carb, then keto last November. And of course I don’t carry a granola bar around anymore!!!
:laughing:

Hi Jane,

My normal sugar levels are around 1.5. I don’t have any issues with it (except frightening the beegeeses out of nurses every now and then :slight_smile: )

I do sometimes get the sweating shakes etc that you’re talking about. Not very nice. I normally stuff my face with what ever sweet stuff I can find at the time. Glad you’re not suffering any more.

I just started last Saturday. I’d recommend getting rid of any non-keto foods from the house (if feasible). It makes it easier when there are no temptations around! Also, I made the mistake of not eating enough on day 2, and woke up on day 3 feeling weak and shaky. So - be sure to eat and drink enough to avoid that. Im on day 5 now, and feel great :slight_smile: