Just need a little encouragement

(Shanda) #1

Ok guys. So I’m day ten of keto. I’ve been having this darn muscle pain for 3 days now. Per your advice I went and got the stuff for ketoaide last night and had one while I was preparing dinner and another this morning. Before that I was just taking straight nu-salt (1/4 tsp) and a magnesium supplement. I’m drinking lots of water (a gallon a day minimum) . I’m trying to use a bit more salt on my food to get my salt intake up. But it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I haven’t had a decent nights sleep in 3 days now. Which I know aggravates the issue because of the cortisol levels. But the pain keeps me from falling asleep and wakes me several times during the night, so it’s just a never ending cycle.

I keep telling myself that it wont last forever and I just need to suck it up and get through it. But, I’ll be honest, my willpower is fading. It’s like being in a constant state of having a Charlie horse except that it’s in every muscle of my body.

If you’re drinking too much water it’s flushing out the electrolytes. A gallon sounds like a lot without even more salt to counteract it. I’d either get really liberal with the salt or just drink when you’re thirsty.

(Allie) #3

Stop the water. Drink to thirst ONLY.

I agree that you might be drinking too much water without electrolytes. This explains it pretty well: https://perfectketo.com/keto-electrolytes/

here is the link to Brenda’s ketoade. I’ve made it and it’s not too bad!! The Magnesium Citrate I used is grape flavored (but it’s clear, FYI)

(Shanda) #5

This is what I used to make the ketoaide I had last night and this morning.

Thank you all. I will try cutting back on water intake and see if that helps. TBH though I’m not really forcing myself to drink that much. I keep a water bottle at my desk and just sip throughout the day refilling when empty. Same at home. By the end of the day I am finishing off the gallon I brought to work with me. I’m not sure if its due to actual thirst or just getting through the soda cravings though.

(Cindy) #6

Drink some pickle juice. Or just eat a pickle. Pickles usually have salt, magnesium, and potassium in them. I don’t like “ketoaid,” but I do like pickle juice. :smiley:

(Shanda) #7

I will definitely give this a try! I love pickles but I had read conflicting info about if pickles were ok or not. Some saying yes and some saying no because of lectins. So, I just avoided them to be safe.

(PSackmann) #8

I keep a container of Himalayan salt in my desk at work. When I feel draggy, I put a small pinch inside my lower lip, it seems to absorb more quickly for me. I learned that from a safety professional at a construction site, it’s one of the tricks when the workers would come in feeling puny after too much fun the night before

(Jessica) #9

I drink salt water when needed. 1/4 tsp at a time. I do it first thing in the morning if I’m going to the gym and another at night (it helps me sleep) and as needed when feeling headachey, fatigued, or doing something I know will make me sweat. I prefer it with 1/2 of a lemon squeezed into the water. Something about sour salty water is easier than straight salty water.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

Do you believe that you’re suffering from leaky gut syndrome or some other issues due to lectins? I have an autistic son who is on a low lectin diet. Lectins are in lots of different foods, anything with seeds, dairy, legumes. If you get lacto fermented pickles or make them yourself (easy peasy) the fermentation deactivates most of the lectins. Lectins are manufactured by our bodies as well. Many are necessary for bodily processes and others are deadly toxic (ricin).

(Shanda) #11

[quote=“David_Stilley, post:10, topic:71790”]
Do you believe that you’re suffering from leaky gut syndrome or some other issues due to lectins

No, but because I am so new to this and still researching I have been really careful about what gets added to my diet. I dont want to screw myself up by eating something I should be abstaining from just because I was ignorant of what it would do. For instance diet sodas. Obviously water is best but I know there are some diet sodas that are ok to drink and others that aren’t because of the types of sweeteners used. Because I haven’t learned the differences between them yet, I just cut out soda all together.
I figure as I learn more I will be able to add more variety to my diet.

(Shanda) #12

Oh my goodness. The pickle thing. After that post all I could think about was pickles. It was like my brain started screaming at me “FEED ME PICKLES!” lol. Ended up having to take a break at work so I could go to walmart and get a jar. Ate two on the way back to work. Actually feeling slightly better. I’ve also cut way back on the water today so maybe the combo of the two is doing me some good. Same thing happened a couple days ago with the nu-salt though. Started feeling a lot better and then WHAM it was back again and the nu-salt didnt make it go away again. Fingers crossed that if I keep up with what I’m doing I can keep it at bay or at least manageable.

(Cindy) #13

LOL, when I’m feeling particularly “crave-y,” sometimes I’ll just get some pickle juice and it fixes it. Only problem is that I drain my pickle jar before all the pickles are gone. :wink:

(Isa) #14

Sometimes the keto-aide doesn’t contain enough to make a difference for extremely depleted muscles. I use Code Age Keto Electrolytes (off Amazon). They come in pill form, so you can pop a few to get more relief. I also use Natural Calm Magnesium.

I know we see the recommendations, but its ok to use more than what is recommended. Sometimes we come to Keto more depleted than we think, or we need more skeletal healing, which can “use up” the minerals we are supplimenting.

(Shanda) #15

@FitAnteater that makes a lot of sense. It’s really hard to get past the mental block that too much salt is bad. Every time I add more I get a bit of anxiety over it. Retraining my brain about what I need and dont need has been a lot harder than I thought it would. I thought my biggest hurdle would be the sweet cravings but those actually haven’t been that bad.

(Isa) #16

I know, it’s so hard to get past the pre-programming sometimes. but it will get better, and if you take the minerals you will start to feel better and that will make a huge difference in how you feel about sodium or magnesium or potassium.

(Allie) #17

If you were still drinking the insane amount of water at this time it would make sense as you would’ve been flushing the potassium out faster than your body could use it.

(Keto Travels) #18

For me, topical magnesium makes all the difference (can’t get enough magnesium in via ketoaide etc without getting the runs) - for a while, I had a bath with magnesium salts every night! Now I just try to get one once a week to keep levels up. That together with the ketoaide took care of the overall achiness and really helped with lessening period pain as well.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #19

It’s not for everyone but I still drink diet Mt. Dew. It’s fewer than before, and I’ve replaced a lot of it with water, but I still have it at work for caffeine and taste. I also keep chicken broth at work and have that between breakfast and lunch if I’m feeling achy or craving salt.

I sure hope you feel better soon, like today.

(Shanda) #20

Thank you everyone for your help and support . I am feeling soooooo much better today. I think I’m finally learning how to read what my body is trying to tell me that it needs. Too bad there’s not a google translate for this language barrier lol. But I’ve got the next best thing and that’s you guys :heart: