July 2018 ZornFast

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

This month’s group fast.
Thursday July 19 through Sunday July 22.
I started practicing monthly fasts February of 2016. I still gain great benefit.
Zornfasts are normally the third week of each month.
Join if you’d like, we’ll support each other here.
I always do a water fast. (water/ black coffee & tea). The definition of a fast is open to your interpretation and needs. Some will need to do a fat fast. There are benefits to that type of fast as well. I fast to target visceral (organ) fat and to promote autophagy. Fasting also releases HGH for muscle growth. I follow Dr. Jason Fung. Matter of fact, his book "The Obesity Code " is what started my venture into fasting nearly two years ago.
Because of the ketogenic diet I am no longer diabetic. Fasting managed to further improve my health dramatically since I have included it in my health regime. It has increased my insulin sensitivity.

(I want to you remind you guys to please use the blur spoiler if you want to talk about food. This is so the fasters can have a safe place to come and read and get support without having to think about or hear about food.
NEVER post photos of food in this topic or any fasting topic!
(Click on the little gear symbol in the text box of your post as you are writing, top right, and a menu pops up. Choose the blur spoiler.)
You may want to include this drink during your fast (or some version of it). I drink 2 bottles a day while fasting.

It is very important that you check with your doctor before consuming Lite Salt, as it contains potassium. Do not over consume Lite Salt! I normally only drink two bottles of KetoAide a day and only add 1/4 teaspoon Lite Salt to each bottle. Do not supplement this with additional teaspoons of Lite Salt! That’s too much potassium! Again check with your physician before consuming Lite Salt.
One 24 ounce bottle of KetoAide contains 290 mg sodium, 350 mg potassium and 75 mg magnesium

Intoducing Myself
(Aimee Moisa) #2

Do you repeat the “do not overconsume lite salt” three times on purpose or is that just a typo?

Nevermind, you just fixed it. LOL

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #3

Geeze. Cut me some slack I’m writing it up right now.
So demanding. LOL LOL

(Aimee Moisa) #4

Here you go!

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

I’m in. Thanks for posting and mother-hening the fast Brenda.

(Mike Glasbrener) #6

In for 60 again… I want to get better at longer fasts for recovering from self imposed mine fields.

(Ellie) #7

I’m in. Might start earlier due to weekend family commitments. Looking forward to it.

(Karen) #8

Ways off, but count me in.

K

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

Yeah I wanted to get this thread started early because next week I’m going to be really busy in Connecticut at KetoFest. I want to come here and check in as often as I can, maybe let you guys know what’s going on and provide a non-food photo every now and then. I’m not sure just how busy I’m going to be so I wanted to make sure this thread was in place.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #10

(Empress of the Unexpected) #11

What if we try and fail the whole four days? Are we still welcome for trying?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

You can fast anyway you please. You can fast every other day, you can do an intermittent fast and skip breakfast and lunch and only eat dinner. You can fast the entire 3 and 1/2 days. You can do whatever you want you can start early you can stop early you can start late you can stop late. There are no rules this is just a place to come and fast together every month. Welcome

(Empress of the Unexpected) #13

Thanks Brenda. I am a newbie. I am not sure if my stomach is even up to fasting, but I will try to ignore the grumbles. Kinda fascinated as to how long I can do that. When I was younger, I could ignore food for two days easily.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

Are you ketogenic? How long? It takes up to 6 weeks to be completely fat adapted. If you’re not completely fat adapted fasting and can be very difficult. Maybe you just want to start with a 24-hour fast? Eat dinner Wednesday night and then wait to eat dinner again until Thursday night or something like that?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #15

I have a cure for this. Works for most people. Carbonated water or sparkling water. The unsweetened kind. I’m not sure why it works but it does.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #16

Three months in…

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #17

I have stalled lately and look forward to trying my first fast.
I need to cut out sweeteners also.
I am hesitant to start a fast as I don’t drink black tea or coffee.
I think I will need to make a broth.

How do you prepare for a fast personally?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #18

I may try this.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #19

That’s a loaded question. I’ve been doing this for years and I have many many strategies. Where should I start? First, I prepare the kitchen. Put away all food do up all dishes and put them away too. Then I make sure I have all the teas and coffees and sparkling waters, salts around that I want. Every morning I measure out a teaspoon and a half of salt and I make it a goal to finish it by the end of the day.
One teaspoon of salt contains 2300 mg of sodium. We need minimum 3000 mg of sodium a day.
Caffeine curbs hunger, green tea especially curbs hunger, as does peppermint tea.

I have tons of more strategies to share. Tons. I’ve been managing group fasts for years.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #20

Thank you @Brenda !
I never thought to prepare the kitchen and put all the food away.
The problem is I still cook for my family so I just have to deal with the fact that I am around food.

I don’t think I will struggle with fasting as much as I will stuggle with the mental challenges when it’s time to start eating or I feel hungry.

I am mid way through week 10 and I am fat adapted so I’m keen to give it ago.