January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Haven’t seen anyone posting this so I did. I am feeling great so far this year. I am at my 2nd and final weight loss goal so doing maintenance. I came off a 36 hr. fast this morning with eggs, sausage and one paleo pancake with some apple and walnuts with whipped cream. Along with my usual coffee w/ HWC.

I grew up where you must have blackeyed peas and cabbage on New Year’s Day to ensure you have plenty of long green and change all year. I will be doing that meal for sure in a couple of hours. I almost skipped the blackeyed peas, they are more carby than what I am used to eating these days, but decided it is only one meal and I don’t have to eat them all. There will be plenty of ham to go with those veggies.

I’m planning on doing another 36 hr. fast after dinner tonight.

Hoping the New Year treats all of you kindly.

December IF/EF chat - all welcome!
(Lynne Hurley Perry) #2

Sounds like a nice balance of feast and fasting. It is important to enjoy holidays and traditions.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #3

Currently at 45 hours and going strong. Will end this one at 72 hours.

(Liz ) #4

Thank you for starting the post and happy new year!

(Liz ) #5

I ended 2017 below 170 as was my fervent wish. Phew! My goal for 2018 is to incorporate exercise & try to fast my way down to 150 or lower. Here’s to a fresh year of fasting with friends!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #6

@LizinLowell I have no doubt you will reach your goal.

(Becky Searls) #7

Awesome! Here is a link to a topic I made yesterday for any interested in doing a New Years fast and wanting some moral support!

(Marie Dantoni) #8

My goals are to incorporate more fasting, to get back to exercising, and to see if I can successfully let go of tracking.

(Ivete C) #9

Happy New Year everyone :smile:
I am just back to London after a wonderful week in NYC, feeling super jet lagged … decided to start right now 23:30 (Uk time) a water and black coffee only fast, hopefully a 7 day one. I have done 5 day ones last year. Wish me luck lol

(Dawn) #10

Hello ALL;

Happy NEW YEAR! I took the last 2 1/2 weeks off from Keto (well sorta). I continued to IF, but allowed myself carbs, sugar…whatever came up during the holiday, I ate. But this was not just a random cheat. It was an experiment to understand how my weight would change, what my ketosis readings would be (got a keto mojo for Christmas), how i would feel, how many carbs I could introduce, what type of carbs, my energy levels, etc. My keto reading was pretty consistently 0.5. I have no idea if that is good or bad, can someone help? Also, I ate everything. I had homeade cake, ice cream, veggies for days, homeade pizza, homeade cookies and a couple of homeade pancakes with syrup. Things that I did NOT have because there was no craving: rice, standard bread, pasta, crackers, potatoes, noodles, candy, soda, juice, alot of processed food or fruit. When all was said and done, I had only gained about 6-8 pounds, most of which I imagine may be water. I am now on hour 13 of an open ended fast. I will go as long as I can until I start to not feel well. I hope that the little carb binge will help me and push up my metabolism. I am just stunned that I didn’t gain more weight. I wonder if I am at a new set point? I was originally up 10 pounds but I loss 3 pounds after only 13 hours of fasting. Can anyone give me advice as to why the weight didn’t go higher with me eating so much junk? Is it because I was still doing IF maybe? I collected good data during the carb-up but the weight confuses me. If the weight holds, this is really good news because it means that I will be able to handle maintenance and keep weight managable even if I am not strictly keto for a day or two.

Goals for 2018-

• Make goal weight of 176 and then re-evaluate (I’m currently 40 pounds away)
  • Incorporate weight training, isometrics and yoga to restructure my Grinch-like body
  • Track my ketosis and blood glucose more efficiently with my new keto mojo
  • Do a N=1 experiment on artificial sweetners to determine which ones I can tolerate
  • Completely reverse my insulin resistence and have a normal A1c, normal BP, normal cholesterol (goal I already achieved in 2017, but I want to maintain it)
  • Start sampling more keto recipes that can help me with maintenance
  • Transition my kids to KETO lifestyle with significant reduction in sugars (hopefully medical tests will show improvements for them as well)

(Liz ) #11

Very kind of you @rustyk61 ! I really appreciate the encouragement. I’m cheering you on as well!

(Dawn) #12

@LizinLowell I am so excited to spend this year watching you achieve your goal. I know if you make your goal, then there is hope for me. I started in a similiar place as you. I am so proud of you and so happy to be a part of your journey. You are absolutely going to kill it in 2018!!

(Dawn) #13

Moved question to a more appropriate thread.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #14

Currently at 64 hours and just had a little salt. I’ll breeze right through to 72 hours and have something for dinner with a glass of wine.

Happy new year. Doing 20/4 warrior fasts today and the remainder of the work-week.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

And I am cheering both of you, along with all the other posters here on as well.

Let’s make 2018 a great year for us all.

KCFO
KCKO

(Liz ) #17

@collaroygal @Goal179 Wow, yeah! I feel like I have a super power with all this good will backing me up! Thank you so much! I know we GOT THIS! With all this science and bacon, we cannot be stopped LOLOLOL!

(Liz ) #18

Right on! Looking at the calendar for when I can schedule my next 72, thinking starting Sat night after dinner. Do you have to ease back into eating like I do? If i don’t reintroduce food slowly and carefully I get what Richard calls disaster pants lol

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #19

Absolutely I do. Once I made the mistake after a 72 hour fast of eating a pound of pork chops…:exploding_head::flushed: I relearned the saying to never trust a fart.

(Liz ) #20

LOLOLOL! I do always say “Never trust a fasting fart” and that holds true ending the fast as well :rofl: OK well then take it easy, friend :smile: