Hey! New to the group....... Any help is much appreciated!

(Amy Ramadan) #1

Hey everyone!! My name is Amy!! I am interested in starting the keto diet and would love any tips or pointers you can give me!! I am still learning, so any and all help is much appreciated!! I have spent the past year and a half battling breast cancer, and am now in remission. Sadly, I have gained a ton of weight due to medications prescribed to help alleviate all the after effects of chemo!!! Hoping this new lifestyle will help, and hoping it will lift my mood as well!! Thanks and I look forward to getting to know everyone!!!

First, I believe you are at right place! And welcome! … This forum is full of some fantastic folks with lots of knowledge with this WOE. (Way of Eating) When I first started just over 3 months ago, I spent nearly almost every free moment reading up on this lifestyle, and found that most of that was from this forum. … Since then it has just got easier. The more you know about going Keto, the easier it becomes. And having a great place like this to frequent, makes it even that much more easier.

I actually enjoyed reading a lot of the post here. Finding it both informative and inspirational. And if you can’t find something you’re inquiring about using the search function, simply start a post and ask. I’m sure you will receive the answers you seek from the good folks here.

If it helps, if you’re looking into something like possible meals, check out the thread ‘What did you Keto today’ which can found below. :point_down:

If you’re looking for real inspiration, check out the ‘Great Big Public Keto Before and After Thread’. You will see some fantastic images from those who chose to make the change to this life style, hear their stories and see their results. … It’s hard to beat for inspiration. … Good Luck! :slight_smile:

(Chelsea Barnett) #3

Congrats on being in remission. Welcome to the group. Im still new to keto, but there are a ton of people up here who are very helpful and who have helped me. Good luck:)

(Amy Ramadan) #4

Thanks so much for the tips!! Much appreciated!!

(Amy Ramadan) #5

Thank you so much!! It has been a long hard road and I still have a ways to go, but I’m working on it!!! I can’t wait to get started. I feel that I do better when I have a plan, so trying to learn as much as I can and do some meal planning before I dive in!!!

You’re quite welcome, Amy. :slight_smile:

Believe me, all the reading I’ve done on this subject has been well worth it, and made a world of difference. As they say ‘the more you know, the easier you will find the task’. … And a big YES, to planning your meals ahead of time! That alone will help keep things enjoyable.

(Amy Ramadan) #7

I have been reading as much information as I can!! Excited to try some of these new recipes I am finding too!!

Hello, @Amy_R0922, and welcome to the forum!

I’m not an expert, and I don’t pretend to be one on TV :wink:, but I believe these people are:

Also, if you have Netflix, you might check out “The Magic Pill”. Great documentary, but IMO it’s more of a primer and not so much super informative. But the Diet Doctor is an excellent website.

I like to share this link with anyone new, it’s been SUPER HELPFUL to me!

I look forward to hearing more from you and your progress, Amy. Good luck!

(cheryl) #9

congrats on remission … best wishes as you embark on your new lifestyle :grin:

(Irene ) #10

You go girl! :raised_hands:t3::muscle:t3:!!! I second the documentary called the magic pill…I stumbled across it on Netflix AFTER I started keto WOE and it only validated and confirmed I was on the right track to reversing and putting my diabetes in remission (I still believe I can cure it but that’s a controversial subject :wink:) anyways, even got my husband and sister in law onboard! I don’t know what your resources are but what helped me learn and grow with my cooking skills is a food company called Green Chef. They give you dietary option (with Keto being one) They create 3 keto friendly dinners for you each week. They even send you the recipes cards with instructions so you learn as you go and eventually you can go solo with some incredible gourmet Dinners you can actually enjoy and be proud to serve to your guests (who may not even know they are eating Keto) and may I add, they supply all the ingredients and macros to help us keep track! Just go to greenchef.com for more information! You’ve come to the right place to gleen from some AMAZING people! All the best to you!

(Amy Ramadan) #11

Thanks so much!!! I greatly appreciate all the help! Loving this group so far!!!

(Amy Ramadan) #12

Thank you so much!! It has not been easy and a stage four cancer diagnosis at the age of 36 was definitely not something that I expected. Every day is a battle, even now but I’m hoping the keto lifestyle is a good match for me!!

(Amy Ramadan) #13

Thank you!! Appreciate the support! So happy to have stumbled on this great group of people who all seem to support each other in such an amazing way!! I will definitely check out that documentary. Thanks again. All the best to you

(Marshall Taylor) #14

Welcome aboard Amy! The biggest advice I can give is be prepared. Focus on collecting high fat, moderate protein and low carb foods. Variety is key, but structure is important also. Make sure you keep your electrolytes high (sodium, magnesium and potassium). Mio (the stuff you squirt in water bottles) is awesome. Zero sugar, has some sodium and tastes great. This lifestyle has made it much easier for me to stick to the keto diet. I find it much easier than any other diet I’ve tried. “If you fail to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” You’re going to do great. Just jump in!

(Amy Ramadan) #15

Thanks so much for the encouragement!! Very happy to have stumbled upon this group!! So far everyone has been super helpful and very supportive!! Gonna spend the day tomorrow planning meals, compiling recipes and good shopping. Excited to start, so I guess that’s half the battle right there!!!

Welcome! I consider myself a newbie still. I started about 4 months ago. I think you’re on the right track with meal and grocery planning. It was key for me to have that plan and meals thought out. Also, keeping at least one meal a day super simple, two even, was helpful. I love to cook but sometimes time was my foe and I’d get home from work and just want to grab something quickly. Having those go-to quick meals could be the difference between sticking to Keto and not.

A few go-to meals for me:

Plate of cold cuts, olives, a tasty cheese, avocado, maybe a few leafy greens with olive oil and vinegar

Egg salad, precooked bacon, pickles, olives

Reheated Cooked ground beef seasoned with cumin, chili powder, salt, chili flakes, then topped with sour cream, shredded cheese and jalapeños

Good luck! You’re in the right place.