The Great Big Public Keto Before And After Thread!

(carl) #1

Every once in a while we like to encourage all our friends who have done the impossible - reversed type 2 diabetes, got off medications, and kept substantial weight off for a year or more - to post their story with before and after photos. I did it last year on Facebook, and that was fine, but let’s do it again here in the forum, so we can post the link far and wide, and bring attention to the fact that hundreds of us have done it. Even if you have posted your story and pictures elsewhere on the forum or on social media, please post it here. We want this topic to be huge (but getting smaller) :slight_smile:

I’ll start with my story.

I was born in 1967 and have been heavy since college, with brief periods of weight loss and good health. After I quit smoking in 1991 I gained nearly 70 pounds, which wouldn’t begin to come off until years later when I discovered the Atkins diet.

Atkins proved to be hard to stick to. In hindsight, it’s because you slowly bring carbs back into your diet, and it’s too easy to skip the fat necessary to stay in nutritional ketosis, instead opting for so-called ‘healthy’ foods like whole grain bread and fruits.

After a divorce in 2008, I went back to a ketogenic diet and lost 60 pounds. I went from 379 to 319 where I hit a wall. After being remarried, the weight slowly came back on until I was over 350. The stall was discouraging, and I think that’s what made me a bit weary of low-carb.

My sugar had always been in control, though, because I occasionally would eat low carb for 4 or 5 days. That was enough to keep it just low enough so the doctors wouldn’t be alarmed. Pressure from friends and family to watch out for the ‘dangers of low-carb dieting’ always scared me away from fully committing.

In 2014 I convinced my doctor to let me try a new weight-loss drug, QSymia, which suppresses appetite. It worked at first. I lost about 20 pounds, but found my appetite coming back. The dose had to be upped until I was taking what I thought was way too much. By the time I was at the third level of dosage increase my appetite was back to normal, and the weight came back on with a vengeance. Of course, I was eating the FDA food pyramid with regular doses of fast food, which didn’t help my hunger. I went off QSymia, and gained even more weight.

In June, 2015 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. My doctor knew about the benefits of low-carb diets, and encouraged me. In 2015 I learned that a close friend had prostate cancer and went under the knife. This friend had gone ketogenic to keep his cancer in check, and it was working. Richard Morris @richard was a mutual friend as well, and I had read about his success with keto on the social networks.

That was it. I was 366 pounds. I knew low-carb was the only thing that worked for me. It was time. I started low-carb again in January, 2016, and this time did the research that convinced me to go full-blown ketogenic. My doctor gave me the green light, and I began keto in earnest on February 1st, 2016.

When I started 2 Keto Dudes with @richard, I had already lost 24 pounds and was on my way to recovery. After only 2 and a half months of keto eating, with no drugs and no exercise, I had lost a total of 35 pounds (11 on keto), and my HBA1C (a three-month average of blood sugar) went from 7.4 (diabetic) to 6.1 (pre-diabetic). In July, 2016, I was 297 (70 pounds lighter), and my A1C was 5.9 (almost non-diabetic). By December I had lost another 10 pounds, and my A1C was 5.2 (non-diabetic).

I have managed to keep most of that off, gaining and losing the same 10 pounds over and over again but never gaining any more. I have found a regimen that works for me, but it takes discipline and planning to stick to it. I’m fascinated by “the stall” phenom. It seems it happens to many people who go low-carb. My plan is to keep calm, keto on, fast when I can, and hopefully another 60 pounds will come off. Meanwhile I don’t have diabetes, I have great energy, and I am enjoying my relationship with food again.

Now let’s hear YOUR story!

Hey! New to the group....... Any help is much appreciated!
Keto Slides
Is all this cheese healthy?
What's the difference between loose skin from weight loss and just plain ole loose skin from being 'older'?
(Vittorio Bertocci) #2

You guys are doing a fantastic service for the community. Thanks!!!
My story is pretty simple: I wasn’t terribly overweight, but most of my fat was in the abdominal region- earlier calories restriction efforts helped me lose weight but also wasted muscles, despite regular workouts.
After months of hearing from friends (including Carl :slight_smile:) raving about keto and showing awesome results, I read about the science behind it and convinced it was worth a shot. 10 months later I am still in, and super happy :slight_smile:

I wrote about my keto story few weeks ago - you can see before and after pics in https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/83lsfp/pics_8_months_of_datadriven_keto_worked_great_so/?st=JGB8R7P9&sh=5140da42

Keto on! :slight_smile:

(Aarn Farmer) #3

I started at 400 lbs in 2014 with crazy high BP, Metabolic Syndrome and a wife with T2D. I started just not eating sugar, then No Sugar No Grains, then HIgher fat, then keto, then keto with IF. Along the way I lost 200 lbs, reversed my Metabolic Syndrome, my wife lost 100 lbs and no longer has diabetes. It’s been quite a journey! I’m not sure how to post pics here but you can see them at MySugarFreeJourney.com/200lbs.

(carl) #4

For pictures you can copy/paste, drag/drop, or upload.

(mwall) #5

Nine years of insulin and drug dependent T2D reversed for over two years keto and IF! <3 I attribute MUCH of my success to an attitude of gratitude. :yellow_heart:
I began with no knowledge of keto or IF but only lchf on a fb group. Three months later I reduced my carbs from 300 daily to 100 and discovered Jason Fung and a dude named Ben McDonald who both introduced me to keto and fasting. Two months later I took my last dose of insulin and I’ve never looked back! Slow is GO, go keto GO! Keep it simple silly (KISS) over getting it done homies!! :yellow_heart:

In June of 2016, I was sick of being tired all the time, having no energy, struggling to stand up from a floor-seated position, and having to take OTC meds for constant acid reflux. The straw that broke the camel’s back was seeing a photo of myself after a long hike and tree-climbing expedition. I was depressed at how heavy and knock-kneed I was. I called a friend who had been very successful with LCHF and told her I was ready to do what needed to be done.

I wasn’t 100% sure how to eat because as a vegetarian, I didn’t eat red meat, pork, chicken, or beef. I decided to add fish and other seafood back to my diet to make this work, and I figured out how to move forward by spending a lot of time reading and researching online. I spent a lot of time on the Diet Doctor’s site and listening to 2 Keto Dudes. My spouse and teen were supportive but completely not interested in joining me.

One day about two months after making the switch to low-carb, my size 14 pants were loose. I couldn’t believe it—8 weeks! It was around that time, people started asking if I was losing weight. From August to November 2016 , I dropped more weight and more pants and shirts sizes. I was just not very hungry and found that I could go many hours between meals. That’s when I knew I was really fat-adapted. In February 2017, an online mentor advised intermittent fasting at that point in my journey, so I started fasting 18:6 or 16:8 (missing breakfast) each day, and I switched to black coffee. I wasn’t actively fretting over wanting to lose more fat, but fasting was definitely the missing puzzle piece to make this a long-term, sustainable way of eating. It just felt right, and by that point, I’d made the move to an even lower-carb state: <20-30g per day.

My journey has been slow and it took a little over a year and a few months to get to goal weight (I actually surpassed my original goal weight in December of 2017), but my perspective is that I’d much rather have slow and sustainable than fast and furious. The way I see it, the time it took was like a “training course,” teaching me how to choose nutrient-dense food, to avoid fatty coffees/fat bombs, to order in a restaurant without over-analyzing, to prep, to try new foods, to stay off the scale and go more by how I feel, to get some light exercise, to eat vegetables I used to avoid, to take targeted supplements, and to truly internalize that this is about more than weight loss: it’s about life health and well being.

These days, I pay it forward by moderating and offering practical advice in a large online FB group as well as in the 2KD forums when I can. I support (Patreon) 2KD, Cholesterol Code, Optimising Nutrition, and of course the site that got me started— Diet Doctor (annual membership). I continue to learn via vetted books, blogs, lectures, and peer-reviewed articles from the experts in the field, and I never miss an episode of 2KD, The Obesity Code, or KetoWoman. #55lbs

(Siobhan) #7

Sure I’ll post mine… it’s not as extravagant as reversing Type 2 Diabetes, but keto has changed my life forever. So…
In 2016, when I was 20, I weighed 221 pounds. I’m 5’1". That’s squarely in the “obese” camp by any measure that you use.

I was depressed, and had been since I was about 11, I didn’t like myself or how I looked, my boyfriend told me he loved how I looked but I couldn’t accept it. I had terrible mood swings, especially whenever I tried to lose weight, I was extremely anxious in social situations and would go through periods of wanting to interact with people and then worrying that what I’d done and said when I did made me look stupid or annoying and would withdraw for weeks at a time. I had acne, I had joint pain, I had to stop when going on walks because my knee and ankles hurt. Sometimes I’d lay awake at night unable to sleep because my joints hurt so badly.
I had trouble falling asleep, and keeping a proper sleep schedule, and frequently had poor quality sleep when I did. My hair was frizzy and dull.

Then I went keto in August of 2016. I had told my mom that I was going to calorie restrict to lose weight, and she told me not to do it. She said she was going to try something (called keto) in the following month and she wanted me to try it with her, and handed me a magazine with an article about it.
I initially dismissed it as a fad diet, and utter nonsense, but also knew that my mom is not stupid. She’s very intelligent and I knew she wouldn’t want me to do something unless she had already done her research into it. So I researched it myself. I found there was some scientific legitimacy to it, and decided I’d go full on keto with no calorie restriction for two months. If nothing happened, I’d be no worse off than when I started, and if it did work I’d stick with it forever. I knew if you did a diet and then went off it when you reached your goal weight you’d gain it all back, so if I was going to do it I had to make it a part of my life forever.
So I did.
I looked like this.
sio_at_221

A month later, in September, I was looking for podcasts to listen to at work, so I searched “keto podcast” and came across one (Called the 2ketodudes podcast) where they had interviewed Tom Naughton - I had just seen Fathead with mom not too long ago, so I downloaded that interview and the first few episodes as well. It was reassuring to hear Carl talk about his own keto journey too.
Then after my two months of keto were up, in October (my 21st birthday), I found myself 20 pounds lighter than when I had started. This had never happened before. In all my attempts at calorie restriction and weight loss I had never actually LOST weight. Yet here I was.
Lighter. But also… not hungry. Not feeling deprived. Mom had lost weight too, and then I knew it wasn’t a fluke. I had to stick to it.

And I did.
Then this happened.

The 2 months wasn’t a fluke, the weight loss kept going. And going. Before I knew it, I was here. 70 pounds lighter from the start.

But that wasn’t all.

I didn’t feel like I was in a fog anymore. I didn’t feel like crying for no reason all the time. I didn’t dislike myself anymore. I wasn’t as anxious in social situations. I didn’t have acne. My joint pain was gone. Completely. My hair wasn’t frizzy or dull, and actually had a shine to it. It looked healthy. I looked healthy. I WAS healthy.
For the first time on over a decade I am healthy.

Before keto, I had high blood pressure. I don’t anymore.
Before keto, my blood sugar was creeping up into the prediabetic range, and now it’s normal. My HbA1c is around 4.8
My dad had a heart attack in his 40s (he’s okay now, luckily) and my blood markers? All look healthy. Normal. Low risk.

Now I look like this.
iCbVs80M_400x400

But that’s not all keto gave me… because I have confidence now. Confidence to go to an event called ketofest and be a part of the staff. Confidence to go up to a guy called Dave Feldman and ask him about what he knows about cholesterol. Confidence to appear on a podcast and talk about what I’ve learned about cholesterol on my own and from Dave. A podcast called 2ketodudes.
Confidence to go to another place called Low Carb Breckenridge and stand up in front of people during the audience participation segment and talk about what I’m passionate about.
Confidence to quit my job and work on lipids full time.

I also made a lot of friends along the way. I became closer with my mom as we helped support each other with this new way of life. I became very close friends with the admins of this very forum, including Dave.

And they’ve each supported me as I found out how to be a new me. A happy me. A healthy me. A confident me.
So that’s my story.
Not as amazing as reversing a supposedly irreversible disease, but it’s my story anyway.
I hope it encourages people to take the first step, because that first step may be the first of many that leads you into a life so amazing you never even knew could exist.
Thank you Carl and Richard, and all the admins here, and mom, and my boyfriend, and everyone else who encouraged me along the way.
You helped change my life forever.

P.S. My boyfriend still says he loves how I look… I just believe him now :wink:

(Teresa Lavoie Zaw Tun) #8

Thank you for sharing your story. You are inspiring and I love your writing style and your humour. I heard you on a couple podcasts and really enjoyed them. Keep researching and sharing your knowledge it helps so much.

(Raj Seth) #9

Probably peak weight ~300lbs

Recent. 215lbs. 5.9A1c. Zero medications. No more endocrinologist visits.

300lbs, Diabetic, Hypertensive, on statins and other meds - fat dumb and happy! Pant size 46" super snug, but I refused to go buy 48s

85 lbs down, 65 to go! Target 150lbs - I want to be half the man I used to be! Pant size 36". I want to wear 30" again.

BackStory:
I am 54 Yrs, 5’8". 215lbs
I was 297, diabetic, hypertensive and on my way to an early cremation

Jan 2017 my endocrinologist gave me.a heads up. Even though I had lost 20 lbs with diet and exercise, my A1c was sticking at 7.4-7.7. He told me that I was heading towards insulin and that it was an inevitable and natural evolution of my deadly progressive disease.

Insulin shots would have destroyed my newly chosen profession as a commercial pilot. So I decided to hit it harder at the gym, and cut out desserts and reduced breads. I believed that I could help my blood glucose spikes by burying my carbs with protein. I fought hard and lost another 20 lbs using CRaP (Calorie Restriction as Primary) Surprisingly my diabetes did not properly respond. I was having a breakfast as soon as I woke up to help lower my fasting BG levels - I was not skipping any meals because that would mean too big a meal and spiking sugars. I was doing all the things that the establishment told me I had to do to help my diabetes. The lack of response was striking :open_mouth:

Finally, having lost 40 lbs from peak I was going on vacation Oct '17 to visit family,and decided I would stop breads, rice etc altogether so as to not gain back the hard fought weight loss. While I did not gain (or lose) weight, I did find I could not eat/overeat as I used to be able to. I started feeling bloated all the time and just naturally started skipping meals and eating less. I went on a quest - and found - drum roll - the 2ketodudes!!

Halloween, Oct 31, 2017, I went Keto at 255 lbs and with an A1c of 7.4. I stopped taking the statin. In 2 weeks I was reducing diabetes medications. In 4 weeks, I eliminated all medications except metformin and a blood pressure pill. 2.5 months later, January 23 2018, I had an A1c of 6.0, and in consult with my MD stopped taking ALL medications.

YES - 2.5 months of Keto reversed all the markers of all my physical ailments (mental aside)
Bonus - I had lost another 45 lbs and was down to 212 - 85lbs off my peak.:+1:

I had just discovered the documentary on fasting on Amazon, and found the Jedi’s of fasting - Fung and Ramos. I embarked on a journey to repair my metabolism. Since January, I have been on an aggressive feasting - fasting cycle. I have feasted 72 of the last 115 days, fasted 43. I did in slugs of 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 days. The goal was to up my caloric intake on feasting days to raise the BMR set point.

I took no measurements of BMR - but I am quite certain my BMR has gone up. I feel juiced all the time - fasted or not. I have lost no scale weight. In fact, as of yesterday, I am 220lbs, up 8 lbs from my low. However, I have lost a ton of central adiposity. My pants have gone from 40-42" waist to 36" waist. The body has trimmed itself all over. even my shoes are looser. I sleep better. I snore less. I can eat or not eat anytime. I am in full control.

My A1c - 5.9. My endocrinologist ‘graduated’ me from his practice.

KETO for LIVING.
Keto for LIFE.

Type 2 diabetes meds and keto diet
(Carol O'Carroll) #10

After a lifetime of struggling with my weight (and repeatedly giving in) I found LCHF. I have been low carb for over 2 years and am never going back to the dark side. I have not regained this weight.

Over about 9 months in the first year of LCHF, I lost 30kg.
I fixed an extensive list of ills, including fatty liver, asthma, snoring… :roll_eyes:, hypertension, constant hunger, improved dental health, etc, etc.
I now exercise happily, have better cognition and improved mood, no anxiety (didn’t see that coming) am generally calmer and happier.

I am never hangry and eat when I’m hungry.
I still have a few more kilos to go, to achieve a good height/waist ratio, but am getting there. I am fitter than I was 10 years ago.

Low carb for life!

(Karl) #11

Anything sweet is probably bad
(Jennifer) #12

Hey everyone! Saw the link to this post on Twitter and thought I’d join in.

Here’s my before, during, and after photos:

I started keto in March 2017 solely to control my epilepsy. I’ve been epileptic since I was 12 years old, and despite decades of anti seizure meds which did nothing to control my seizures but came with a whole host of lovely side effects (paresthesia, aphagia, facial paralysis, skin blisters, and mental fog, among others) and my neurologist insisting I needed brain surgery, I decided to be my own health advocate and take matters into my own hands. I’ve had three different neurologists over the last 20 years and none of them endorsed nor even encouraged keto as a therapy for me, since for adults they’d found a “low adherence rate”. Because of this, they prefer to not mention it which doesn’t even give us a chance to try it out for ourselves, which I found to be frustrating as hell. So I did some research via Johns Hopkins University and The Charlie Foundation, bought a food scale, started with a two-day water fast then dove in. It was challenging at first, but after a couple of weeks it became routine and I didn’t have any carbohydrate cravings whatsoever.

For me, one of the side effects of keto is more energy and stamina for exercise. I’ve always loved hiking and being outside, so in tandem with weightlifting (deadlifts, squats and bench), I found I loved getting stronger and healthier. I also noticed the weight loss made exercise much more enjoyable. My office is a mile from my home, so I leave early to get a nice long walk in before work (I live in downtown Seattle so the waterfront and the Elliott Bay Trail make a lovely gym) as well as longer trail hikes on the weekends with friends.

I found I loved with the hiking and long distance walking so much, it became somewhat of an addiction. I started thinking again about the Pacific Crest Trail, which I used to hike sections of a couple times per month before I moved downtown and fantasized about hiking when I was in my 30’s (I’m 42 now). It’s a 2,600-mile hike from Mexico to Canada, and much of it goes through Washington State. Most thru-hikers average 20 miles per day, so I began adding several 20-mile long treks during my week. My current record is 42. I’m amazed at my endurance now as compared to when I was younger and not on keto. It’s truly become a game changer.

Because this controls my seizures 100%, I consider this a lifestyle change for me. I have no desire to go back on medication, and having been keto for 13 months now it’s become my new normal. My neurologist is even on board, and sent me to a ketogenic nutritionist to help me with my meal plans (medical keto has a higher fat and lower protein percentage than the keto strategy used for non-medical purposes) and run regular blood panels. Because of my epilepsy I have metabolic panels regularly, and my blood glucose, which was 6.3 before keto, now holds steady around 3.8 - 3.9.

I’m happy to say that I have now been seizure free for a year and down 127lbs. I’m currently in maintenance (which was a challenge due to my activity levels - heavy whipping cream lattes help with the calories and fat) and have been medication-free since August. Keto is, literally, my medicine.

Thanks for reading!

(Raj Seth) #13

Wow!

(Oliver Magoo) #14

You reversed anxiety and depresson! That’s no small feat! Some people never resolve these issues. They’re just given drugs that might mitigate it somewhat. By the way, you look taller on TV. :smile:

(Liz ) #15

I’ve actually lost about 100 pounds on low carb since 2003 but until I found Dr Fung & the Dudes in March of 2017 and finally understood the science, I could not get under 200 pounds on the scale & stay there.

I always thought I was broken because after my initial success with Atkins in 2003 stalled out, nothing I did helped me lose weight & keep it off. Now I know yes, my metabolism was broken from years of carb creep, but I can fix it with Keto and I am!

More than even the weight loss, I’m thrilled with the disappearance of inflammation I didn’t even realize I was suffering from, and with it, ALL my body aches! And of course as a lifelong carb addict I value the total relief from terrible cravings. Did I mention the bacon?? Keto for life!

Carnivore New Challenge starting for new year....and
(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #16

Hai.
Creating a post here will be easy for me since my story was already published by Dr. Jason Fung at IDM and The Diet Doctor site.
I hope it inspires you :heart:
Well hell, I suppose I should give an update since the story was written a year ago.
My hbA1c is down to 5, and I now work for IDM.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/life-is-good

(Jennifer) #17

Congrats - you look fantastic! I also noticed the reduction in pain in my joints - a lot of it was due to my weight but also because I had inflammation issues which seem to have resolved thanks to keto. It really is a lifestyle change. :slight_smile:

(Liz ) #18

Thank you! So glad you got these benefits too!

(Brian) #19

You all look amazing! Thank you for your encouragement!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #20

Above left, around 2013 - not at my heaviest, but still pretty heavy. Right is around 2016 or so.

This one, left, is from Spring 2008, at close to my heaviest (around 245 lbs). Right is summer of 2016.

Like Carl and many others, I’ve done low-carb over the years, but until going keto, never managed to stick with it over the long term. I did Atkins in my late 20s, early 30s and lost a good 30 lbs, but got married, bought a house, and in the transition couldn’t keep up with Atkins, went off, and gained the weight back and then some (I think Carl’s point about Atkins’ mistake being adding back in the carbs is a good one, since for me at least more carbs == wanting more carbs).

I also fast occasionally, sometimes spontaneously, for example when I’m traveling. That’s a nice side effect of ketosis, being able to slide naturally into a fast when it’s more convenient than trying to find something keto to eat.

Having got up to a peak of around 245lbs, I have since lost 50+ lbs, and kept that off. I’ve gotten as low as in the 170s, but of late seem to be cycling in the low 190s, probably in part due to resistance training and added muscle. Also probably a bit because of lazy keto, too, if I’m honest, but having kept off more than 50lbs is something I’m very happy with.

Keep Calm and Keto On!