Help me help my wife

(KCKO, KCFO) #41

Wow, I have had mine for a while there are so many blades coming with them now. But honestly, my 3 blades do anything my mandoline can’t do. I’ve done lasagna with zuke strips from the mandoline for ages now before going keto/lchf, I did the 40/30/30 Zone plan for years. So started using the mandoline for lots of things.

I hope you get it all sorted out. It is easier if everyone is at least in the same page, maybe not the sentence but on the same page makes cooking & meal planning so much easier.

(Jesse Driskell) #42

Hey man I just started my wife as well…

I’ve been keto 1 year and lost 60lbs, I’ve also got my wife in the gym for the first time.

Best advise I can give is basically what I’m doing with her and my kids.

Buy a food scale weigh everything, you’ll be shocked at how much little food weighs.

Breakfast fullfat yogurt with chia seeds and black berries.
Or eggs and bacon. Or eggs and sausage. Or 1/2 avocado mixed with full fat yogurt.
Low carb protein shake 3net carbs before the gym

Lunch spinach salad with pumpkin seeds, 1/2 avocado, bacon. Olive oil as dressing and 6 oz of baked Salmon.

Dinner anything pork with steamed veggies, ground beef with veggies, meatloaf wrapped in bacon and veggies, steaks and veggies, eggs and bacon.

Get her on a multi vitamin, have her drink green tea.

When sugar cravings hit you better have the halo top icecream stocked in the freezer lol… good luck you guys can do it!!!

So I used to eat Halo Top all the time, but stopped because I thought it was too many carbs. Any thoughts on this?

I often recommend the Diet Doctor’s recipes. His team has 400+ ideas there for free.https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes

Since she likes bread type things for breakfast, try 90 second mug bread. There is one in the recipe section titled pumpernickel rye that is delicious, filling and a breeze to throw together. Slather with butter and breakfast complete.

(Ethan) #46

I make my own ice cream… but I also eat halo top—very small portions

Avoid uncooked spinach if she has Hashimotos

(Ethan) #48

Yes I am aware of the issues with raw spinach, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and kale. She wouldn’t like them raw anyway except spinach, but we found a creamed spinach recipe she is interested in!

(Sophie) #49

She might like these…

(Becky) #50

My family used to tell me I was too picky to be fat. I have to control/enjoy my food…lol!

I make my own turkey sausage for breakfast. Ground turkey and poultry seasoning, form patties, bake a batch, freeze, heat & eat.

Here is my grilled cheese sandwich, which rivals the one I used to buy from the bakery and wonder if I would die of a heart attack on my way to work.

Sub out the bacon and ham for beef salami and turkey…on headbangers 90 second bread with tj everything bagel seasoning.

I remember feeling like nothing was going to help me lose weight, and therefore everything seemed too difficult, seeing pictures of people who had found a way, helped me when even keto seemed hard.

0105182052|375x500

(suzanne) #51

I make hash browns with leftover spaghetti squash. It gets that nice crispy edge and is divine. Not the lowest carb but works for us.

(Candy Lind) #52

You actually get more nutrition from lightly steamed spinach than from raw, anyway. One of those “weird science” things …

(Candy Lind) #53

I saw one suggestion for a quiche using beef chorizo - I was going to suggest, since she likes scrambled eggs, making those “breakfast muffins” that you make in a muffin tin, adding a bit of meat that she likes, and/or some sauteed veg (that would normally be in other recipes, a bit of onion or pepper, or something else she wouldn’t object to), and some cheese on top. They can be made up a whole pan ahead of time, and then it’s grab and go in the morning - either to your own microwave or the one at work - they kind of turn scrambled eggs into finger food. I think dietdoctor and ketoconnect both have recipes you could work from.

(Jane Reed) #54

Today is the first time I read this thread and had to laugh at Laurie’s tough love post.

It sounds as if your wife is agreeing to this way of eating to please you and not because she had been convinced by the rationale behind it. I say that because I think a person who is firmly on board with keto is someone who will work out for herself what she will eat, within the constraints of this keto thing and her own preferences. It seems as if she is allowing you, OP, to do all the work.

Of course you want to help her, but perhaps you could tell us what SHE is doing to fit a ketogenic diet into her list of non-negotiables.

(Troy) #55

This is good!!
IMHO , does not taste eggy
I just added 1tbsp of almond flour as well

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #56

You are a brave, brave man! Be sure to let us know how it works out . . . :grin:

(Tim W) #57

Roger Wilco!

It will be done in such a matter that she’ll never know it and I’m not gonna spill the beans until I’ve been successful 2-3 times. We’ve been together 24 years so I don’t think this will break the bank, I’ll report back in a few months.

(Sophie) #58

Sounds like when I started my hubba on Iodine supplements… every day for a week in his coffee and I could tell a difference in his overall attitude within days. Needless to say, he wasn’t completely happy when I exposed my doings but he let me continue. Seriously, at least I wasn’t using his toothbrush to clean the toilet! It can always be worse, right? :laughing:

(Tim W) #59

Funny, I had to start supplementing iodine as well. It’s not amusing how many nutrients our diets are missing these days.

And you are right, it could always be worse.

(Ethan) #60

How did you know you needed to supplement iodine?