Help me help my wife

(Ethan) #21

BPC won’t count as breakfast to her, and she wouldn’t like it anyway. But she’d do HWC in the coffee… To go keto, she very specifically said she needed something for breakfast. She isn’t willing to adjust and have fatted coffee without other items…

(Ethan) #22

Thats what I initially thought. But she called me on the phone while I was driving to work and said she needed to go keto for all the complications. She’s just VERY picky.

(jilliangordona) #23

Hmmm… this will be hard. If I think of anything else I will post.

Can you maybe give us a list of what she DOES eat?

(Nick Eagle) #24

@laurie I couldn’t have said it better myself!

(Laurie) #25

“picky” is a choice, just sayin’. I still think having her work with a coach or picking out her own cookbook with possibilities is a good route to take.

(Ethan) #26

Normally, she eats cereal, toast, english muffin, or waffle (all gluten free) for breakfast. Lunch is usually salad with chicken. Dinner options are chicken tenders, pasta, ramen, mac n cheese, steak, quesadilla, tortilla chips and salsa, chicken,

snacking on tortilla chips and salsa, chocolates, gf muffins, etc.

(Darlene Horsley) #27

Gluten-free processed products usually equal more sugar.

(Ethan) #28

They certainly do. I don’t actually see her eat much–partly because I am not home when she eats, but also because I don’t think she eats that much overall. I do think her choices are poor and too carb heavy. A keto diet will do wonders. I also feel like if she stays with it for a month, her tastes will change, and she will be more willing to try the other options she is adamantly against right now.

(Ren) #29

With all her restrictions, what does she like?

Also one thing that comes to mind for a breakfast idea is beef chorizo omelette with feta cheese, pico de gallio (or guacamole), and some wilted lettuce or greens. I would initially make it with the shredded lettuce but have a side of wilted spinach or other super greens and have her just try a bit to see if she likes it. If not, she can stick with shredded lettuce.

I like this site for recipes http://www.wickedstuffed.com/

KetoEvangelist and DietDoctor.com. Fat Head Pizza of course.

I hate most seafood, do not like most meat except beef (cannot stand gristle on meat), chicken or deli turkey or turkey bacon. Do not eat pork. I have Hashimotos as well and try to avoid gluten. I have encountered recipes that are not gluten free and use things like wheat germ @FatMan, or most soy sauce has wheat (although it is easy to get tamari now). So especially in condiments or sauces it is very easy to be accidentally glutened even while keeping carbs under 20g. I have to read all ingrediants because I have a child with Celiac, until you have someone who absolutely cannot have even traces of wheat you may not realize how pervasive wheat is. It is also tricky, for example maltodextrin can be from wheat or barley or it can be from corn and other safe options. Again, this is not a great keto food but it if is the last ingredient in a condiment, most keto people can tolerate it. Since wheat is used as a thickener, it is used in trace quantities in other places that you would not expect. I know there have been recipes I have encountered that have it. Although I agree that in many ways no gluten and keto overlap quite a bit

I do eat lots of cheese. I occasionally have yogurt. I usually buy the full fat 4% Fage. I add psyllium fiber to it. Small amounts of psyllium can be used in place of breading but be careful because it is all fiber. I do shiritaki noodles, zoodles and spagetti squash. I add ricotta or mozzerella to that or other cheese or pesto. I will use spaghetti sauce that has 4 or fewer grams of carbs. I do like lox and you could do oopsie bread (never made it) or other low carb bread and cream cheese and lox. Or even lox, cream cheese on cucumber bites. Since you mention a cheeseburger will she mix milk and meat in the same meal? That is so much easier. But still doable if she will not.

I barely eat vegetables. I buy salad and it rots in my house to be honest. My friend gave me a great home made ceasar salad dressing recipe. I use the home made mayonniase that I got from here and it is quite good. Cook whatever vegetables she normally eats and just add olive or coconut oil or butter.

I gave up on avocados awhile ago because they are either hard or overripe in my house. I buy the tubs of Wholly Guacamole instead at Costcos and BJs or most supermarkets. They come in small packs you can add to a meal or snack. If she is willing to eat scrambled eggs then I do not see a problem. Also turkey bacon with it. Cook in a lot of oil or butter to get the fat. Add a side of guacamole. For many years I did not tolerate eggs well so between the gluten and the eggs I gave up on brunch last century. In the recently I have been getting better about eggs and they no longer bother me

(Ethan) #31

@Saphire,

Those are great sites. I’m 4 days into my first 5-day fast of this month. i am getting excited for food, and this is increasing that excitement!

We don’t have concerns about mixing meat and dairy. I don’t think we’ve ever tried zoodles.

(Tim W) #32

I was thinking the same thing. AND, since she’s such a picky eater, maybe she’d consider fasting, it’s a hell of a lot easier then trying to cater to her many criteria.

Another great idea, a big helping of fat in some coffee, or, as others suggested, a smoothie to start the day. Watch out for the protein powders if you use one, many of them have added sugar.

I’m glad someone else said it… I didn’t want to come off as harsh but is she really onboard with this? My wife watched me go keto, saw the awesome things I was eating, saw the energy I had and she joined me, but she eats all the same things I do and we eat damn near anything. The only thing she’s not onboard with (yet, I’m gonna work it in one day and she’ll never know…) is liver.

The cookbok idea is a good one, lots of things to give her ideas. For breakfast, how about a handful of nuts OR a bowl of mixed nuts (the keto friendly ones) with some sugar free shred coconut, some cinnamon and pour HWC over it, it’s delish! Add some flax seed, chia seed or hemp seed if you want, makes the consistency similar to oatmeal and/or can be cooked on the stove as well.

You are most likely correct in that. Once her palate shifts from the sugar and carbs, she might be more open to other options. In addition, we’ve found that our meals are much simpler now that we’ve been keto for almost a year, instead of a “full meal” we might have some steak and eggs, no sides, we just keep it real simple, the longer you follow this WOE, the simpler things seem to get, the craving for variety seems to drop.

Zoodles are awesome! Saute them in olive oil with some fresh garlic, good stuff! Also, cabbage sauteed in the same, add a few walnuts, another winner. I’ve got some miracle noodles in the cabinet I haven’t tried yet, maybe that would help too?

Your a very kind and patient person to be doing this. Best of luck to you and your wife in the new year!

My meat and potatoes husband actually recently said he PREFERRED zoodles. I was literally shocked. Your wife doesn’t eat pork, but the recipe that got him “preferring zoodles” was a chopped onion sautéed in olive oil, then added minced garlic, then cooked a pound of ground pork into the pan (you could easily use ground turkey instead) and then once that was cooked let it cook and simmer in a jar of the lowest carb marinara you can find (mine is a tomato basil one, and I literally looked at every jar in the store to find the lowest carb and sugar content to have on hand at home). The first time I made it, I gave him half zoodles and half pasta. He said “next time only make the zoodles.” I made him repeat himself out of disbelief. It is SUPER filling too. And I just made this up one night. Granted, its pasta and meat sauce, but I just used what we had in the house and made it lowish carb.

So I started putting in another recipe, but then realized your wife probably wouldn’t eat it either, but basically I am just trying to say I have been making stuff that I NEVER thought my husband would eat and he eats it and likes it. He doesn’t even ask for potatoes or any starch usually anymore. (He bought himself some mashed potato single cups but they remain untouched.)

I think it might take time to get her on board, but I am hopeful she will assimilate with you. I am HOPING my husband does the same. Let us know if you find something that works. I desperately want my husband to do this with me, and he SAYS he will eat what I do, and like I said for the most part he will eat what I do for dinner, but he drinks a Monster energy drink everyday and most days a soda at dinner. And he has the protruding bulbous stomach and is otherwise lean, so his extra 50 lbs is mostly just sitting around his organs. So I feel your pain. Its hard to bring someone along with you who starts from a place of limited palate.

(KCKO, KCFO) #34

She sounds like she would do much better going more Paleo than full on Keto. If she doesn’t like super greens, broccoli, etc. Keto will be pretty carnivore, and she doesn’t like a variety of meats either. Many people go from Paleo to Keto and vs. versa. Or as someone else suggested, she might just like fasting, both IF and EX. I have a vegan friend who has had great success with IFing. and eating the lower GI load veggies.

Get a spiralizer. Do not get the hand held spiralizers that are so cheap, they are not worth a dime much less the dollars you pay for them. Get something like OXO Good Grips 3-Blade Tabletop Spiralizer with StrongHold Suction, there are many similar ones, I have the OXO because I have never had a bad kitchen gadget from them. It is in the $30-40 range, often on sale and coupons from Best Buy etc. so cost varies. It has paid for itself many times over.

Try some of these recipes, with the mixed dishes just omit the items she doesn’t eat. Swap out beef and chicken for any lamb, pork, or fish dishes.

(KCKO, KCFO) #35

Glad to hear you husband prefers zoodles. My husband, a TOFI with T2D has learned to love them. He had purchased some of the Zone diet friendly pastas in individual serve size packets. After I started making zoodles, he has rarely touched those. He does still like hashbrowns with breakfast, just not as often these days.

(Karen) #36

Keto isn’t really very carnivore, it’s moderate protein. Especially for older women. :grinning:

(Ethan) #37

Ordering this now.

She actually likes a lot of meat varieties–just not lamb or sheep. We just don’t eat pork. We always have a lot of beef on hand though (cow shares)

Do you have a kitchen aid stand mixer? I have never owned the XO spiralizer but I have a hamilton beach? electric one that is very just ok and a hand julienne peeler and a hand spiralizer. Costco recently had the spiralizer attachement to the kitchen aid for $30 (got the last one!) and I have been using it for the last week and it is amazing compared to the two others I have

Also do a search on here for beef crack slaw. It tastes just like burger king!

(Ethan) #39

I think ours is a cuisinart stand mixers

This is my Spiralizer and I LOVE it!!! It’s a stand alone, but easy to clean, easy to use, sharp, and has a lot of variety in attachments.