Hello and Why in the world did I talk to a dietician?

(Sonya Williams-Pratt) #23

What you said ‘I sea-kayaked 62 miles’ - what I heard ‘I went to the moon and back’ Lol. That’s about how close i could come to ever doing something like that. Just wow.

(Jane) #24

I laughed at that. Not you. The company program.

I joined our own “weight loss” program just to get the freebies (nice scales!) and then ignored all the standard dietary diatribe. I hadn’t found keto yet but I KNEW their advice and methods were crap.

Been there. Done that. Have the t-shirt and extra fat pads to show for it.

I don’t know why, but I made an appointment with one next month

(BuckRimfire) #26

Thanks. I wish I could brag that it was nothing, but that would be false…

Minute by minute it was easy, except in the first hour or so when a headwind made for some substantial effort and some entertainingly bumpy water. After that it was a beautiful, calm day, but there were so many minutes that I think I was still a bit tired three days later, and my right forearm was a bit stiff most of the fall!

More here, with some photos:

(BuckRimfire) #27

I started in 1995, and while I wouldn’t claim that I train hard, I’ve put in a fair number of miles each year, or at least most years. Endurance isn’t something that happens overnight…

Compare my tiny efforts to Freya Hoffmeister’s! She’s paddled all the way around Australia, all the way around South America, and is circling North America now. A friend of mine got to paddle with her in Mexico for about 10 days a few months ago.

(Butter Withaspoon) #28

I’ve been listening to a podcast by “2 of Australia’s leading dieticians” to try and understand where they are up to. Interestingly there was some guidance that processed carbs are bad and best avoided, but the confusion, derision and complete dismissal of Ketogenic diets for health and fat loss was huge. There’s a complex tangle of reactions in there.
Interesting that the same podcast did refer to insulin resistance a few times, but there wasn’t a strong understanding of what might cause it.

The strangest part was the experience of one dietician who tried keto and hated it. Yes she lost weight and her belly went flat and bloating went away, but she felt terrible to be eating so much fat, almost no fibre and having to count everything and… “it’s not sustainable” became the conclusion. A lean dietitian with a history of disordered eating who can’t overcome a deep fear of fat is REALLY going to struggle.

At least I can listen and understand so much of what is misunderstood. I’m sad for their clients though; there is a constant undercurrent of sighing over clients’ lack of commitment to their programs, and failure. The client always FAILS apparently, and this breaks my heart

true.

sad humans are so shut down and are not even close to being open minded in any way anymore…but hey if one person reads it and passes it on? but I hear ya on that!

(Marianne) #30

:laughing:

Sadly, it’s funny because it’s so true.

For me, that advice had usually been, “plant-based diet and exercise.”

We all do insane things sometimes, when my cholesterol came back crappy a couple months ago my my LDL-P was 1696 and my sdLDL came back at 774 with an LP-IR of 36 so my doc was pissed, a started getting portal msgs from her nutritionist about coming in to talk “it was free” I said no thanks, I’ll fix it. The moron persisted, I straight up replied that I knew more than him and that anything he said would be all google would say, he tried AGAIN,… I wasn’t so nice the next time, then I chewed my doc out for it as well as I told her I’d take care of it. On my follow up 3mo later my LDL-P was 749, my sdLDL was 353 and my LP-IR came back as <25.

Point being, these people know nothing, especially when it comes to low carb eating and what it can do, how cholesterol really works, and clearly how ketosis works.

It’s true many people have low energy on low carb, and some people have their metabolism slow down on it, but that’s because of their specific diet, not because they’re simply eating low carb. There does seem to be (some) evidence of a thyroid slowdown for some, I saw it in my Thyroid panels, not completely sure why, I’ve switched to a CKD/TKD for more performance in the gym and my thyroid panels have improved, I don’t know exactly why though so can’t say it’s the carbs around workouts that did it.

(Bob M) #32

Actually, eating high carb probably would have fixed it too. It’s the energy model, and you were just using more fat for energy.

I have only had one LP-IR score and it was 73. (12/28/20) But I also have a CAC scan score of zero. (Taken June 2019) Not sure that LP-IR is meaningful given that.

(Jane) #33

So when “they” fail at a diet…… it’s the fault of the diet.

When “we” fail from taking their advice…. WE failed (to comply)

:roll_eyes:
:unamused:

Agreed, HCLF definitely drops cholesterol, but in my case it also makes me as round as I’m tall! Even doing CKD/TKD now I could never go back to daily “normal” amounts of carbs.

I’m with ya on the LP-IR, I’m not even sure how it’s calculated, I just like that it dropped and made them look stupid LOL. They’ve also questioned how I my A1C was 4.8 last time, one nurse said she’d never seen one that low before and asked if I got shaky or dizzy, I told her that’s normal if you don’t eat garbage all day long. She thought I was kidding.

(Butter Withaspoon) #35

What I found most interesting is that the feeling of the diet being terrible for this dietician was caused only by strong prior convictions re fat and fibre intake. Yet as she said, her actual symptoms got better and she lost some weight. The other interesting thing is that the same podcast mentions and supports fasting as a useful dietary intervention, yet WE know that fat adaptation and a rise in ketone production are major benefits that make fasting work.

It does my head in. It’s going to be so hard for previously trained dieticians to make large changes, which only makes me more IN AWE of the few who have looked at current diet research and become leaders and sharers of the information.

I tried a weight loss program about 10 years ago that was based on meal replacement shakes and bars. This is what the UK government is now advocating to tackle obesity in those kingdoms. I met a few dieticians there, at the corporate weight loss offices. Most were trim, well tailored young women. One was a slim young man. They had a “look”, a style.

The program reception area had many award certificates and well tended indoor plants that weren’t fake. The award certificates were business awards. I realise now that the measure of success for the consortium of doctors, dieticians and gym instructors was financial. I did very well and stuck to the plan. It was like eating chocolate 4 times per day and a green salad with tuna or chicken for dinner. Because I was paying quite a bit of money for the products and weekly consultations, I stuck to it. Initially I was constantly hungry. Then after a few weeks I felt great and was losing weight rapidly (the plan may have induced ketosis?). The best part was the weekly human contact and coaching - like what Virta do now. By the end of the budget and health insurance financial support I had lost 40kg.

Most of the dieticians were not very smiley. Except the young man. He looked like he enjoyed what he was doing. But he had created a version of a bioimpedance scale and was keen to send his clients for DEXA scans for body composition measurements. That was my experience with DEXA. The dieticians’s bioimpedance scale correlated very closely. So he wanted more to track body fat loss, rather than weight loss. He was curious about weight loss and into medical technology and tests. He would go off the corporate script and get in trouble with the business managers.

I couldn’t afford to continue the highly processed chocolate flavoured bars and replacement shakes. So I said goodbye to that weekly support and success and tried to mimic it on my own from cheaper stuff at the chemist (drug store). That didn’t work. I regained 25kg quickly.

Then I heard Jimmy Moore on an interview with two Australian health entrepreneurs talking about the keto diet. It was 2014. This was on a walk as I was trying to do the ‘exercise more’ part of my GP doctor’s advice. Walks and podcasts are a good mix. On Christmas Day 2014 I went cold turkey into a 24 hour fast. It was a rocky start. But I had self evident proof I can stick to plans. I went down the rabbit hole and haven’t seen a dietician down here anywhere. There are probably a few that read the forums. Some low carb ones appear on podcasts, or their stories do. I guess I should say I haven’t been back to a real life dietician.

One day I might go back to one to test my knowledge of 7 years of low carb learning.

I think Brian Sanders from the Peak Human podcast talks about dieticians in LA, how he observes many are young women who have eating disorders, or have recovered from eating disorders, and are determined to help people. But they learn a system that is only applicable to 10% of the population. Many are vegetarian, vegan or plant-based advocates. This may not be true.

https://medium.com/@BrianCSanders/satiety-weight-loss-and-optimum-nutrition-54f0edc79770

(Randy) #37

Well, I had the exact same experience. I had access to a weight loss group, and as I was signing up, I mentioned that I was going to do low carb. I was assured that this would not be a problem, since diet was only going to be a small part of the classes. These were online zoom classes, and I was happy to participate. As the classes went on, the same old crap was said every single session. Eat lots of small meals, don’t skip breakfast, CICO, low fat, the same tired crap I have heard over and over again. I finally gave up on the class. This was a huge disappointment, and the dietician was beyond ignorant. She seemed to be completely unaware of the current discussion about diet as if everything is already completely known about diet. I mentioned “The Big Fat Surprise” a number of times to a lot of blank stares. I sent her the video of Peter Attia’s Ted talk, https://youtu.be/UMhLBPPtlrY and I don’t think she even understood what I was implying. She was very nice, but I certainly wouldn’t listen to a word out of her mouth.

(Jack Bennett) #38

The programming is strong. People who take well to keto often make a joke about it - “I’m on a health food diet. I eat bacon every day.” Part of it is amazement that it works and part of it is pushing back against the ignorance of the mainstream advice.

If you don’t break the programming, of course you might feel guilty that you are succeeding the “wrong way.” Remember that Dr Fettke was censured by some medical body in Australia for “inappropriately reversing diabetes.”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

The other thing they told him was that, even if there were scientific evidence to show he was right, they would still require him to keep silent. No wonder the health minister eventually had to intervene and apologise!

(Joanne) #40

Yeah, and no one’s going to read a lot of tl;dr science anyway that doesn’t fit their own dogma. TBH, I sure wouldn’t if a rabid vegan sent me a bunch of studies.

(Oscar) #41

My doctor threatened to sic a dietician on me. That’s when I started a keto diet on my own. I managed to lose 98 lbs within 18 months and likely would have lost more in a shorted period if not for the “cheat days and vodka habit. It’s also a “lazy” Keri diet with no carb counting or testing, just avoiding most high carb foods.

I personally see no value-added in dieticians if you can just do your own homework with diet requirements

(Bob M) #42

Impressive, no matter how you did it. About 6 pounds a month.

I always wonder why some can do this, and others have such trouble? No answer, I know. I’m just thinking out loud.