Furry teeth

Since being on a keto diet I have a nasty taste in my mouth and my teeth feel furry! Is this normal? I dont know if its related to my diet because according to my pee sticks (and the scales) im not in ketosis.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

If you are eating under 20 g/day of carbohydrate and are still breathing in and out, the odds are excellent that you are in ketosis, regardless of what the urine sticks say.

For me, that feeling in my mouth is a good indicator of being in ketosis. I believe it may have something to do with acetone escaping in the breath, but I’m not sure. Do people tell you your breath smells “fruity”? If so, that’s acetone, which would be an indicator that you are actually in ketosis.

“Nasty” is an individual term; I don’t find it particularly unpleasant when my mouth feels that way. My teeth generally don’t feel “furry,” but when they do, a good brushing seems to take care of that, as does a cup of coffee or tea. A lot of this has to do with individual taste, and with the amount of advertising we’ve been subjected to.

(less is more, more or less) #3

I’ve quickly checked your first thread here, and I’m sorry to read your struggles with adopting a low-carb way of eating.

I and many others haven’t experienced “furry teeth.” Nor have I ever experienced the far more common “Keto flu.” Dr. Westman says he sees keto flu in 30% of his patients. If by “common” do more than 50% of adopters experience this, I’d guess “no,” though that does not help your discomfort, sorry.

After nearly 2 years, I’ve never, ever, turned any one of those damn pee sticks to a different color. Your body can be adapting even if your not peeing ketones or losing weight. There is no singular physiological response to low-carb adoption. Give it time and explore the amazing foods that you might have been missing out on.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

Toothbrush meet toothpaste.

How very rude. I was genuinely seeking someone to share experience as I have an odd taste in my mouth from this diet. There is nothing wrong with my oral hygiene but clearly something wrong with your manners

Interesting to get fb about the pre sticks thanks. Ice not had me to flu either but whilst not too nice was hoping taste in mouth might be a sign of ketosis

(less is more, more or less) #7

Aah, you’re hoping for other symptomatic evidence of ketosis, and, given your struggles, all the more reason for positive evidence of reward for effort.

Others, here, use a blood ketone meter, that may be the way forward for you? I hate pain, and the thought of pricking myself has been unattractive, but it is the most reliable indicator.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/best-ketone-meter

(Scott) #8

I can taste when I am in ketosis but what I am not sure of is this. If I can taste ketosis what does it mean when I can’t? Is it that I am not or is my body figuring out how to handle them. Anyway my brother is 6’ 7" and has large teeth and we always teased him that he has hairy teeth. Don’t take offense, nobody is accusing you of bad hygiene, lots of good people here. Stick around and you will see, lots of knowledge too!

It’s possible that you’re just experiencing a change in your oral biome - much like we experience a change in the gut biome when we go low carb - & that it will be short lived. If you’re not feeding the carb loving bacteria they die off. FWIW the vast majority report a positive impact on oral/dental health when they drop carbs :slightly_smiling_face:

(Sky) #10

I was thinking gut change as well so perhaps yes it is a sign that all is well - just some times like when we detox - well the side effects are not the most wanted sign

(Sky) #11

hun being frustrated with newbies like me and the poster - well -really - its not very helpful because we are way more frustrated than you are at the moment - even those that may seem to complain (newbies) - most of us are just really struggling and feeling over whelmed - I am sure you remember that feeling too - and some times our questions are not formed stuctually the way we would like to say them because our mind is experiencing a brain fog (mainly due to our body not having been fed correctly with too many carbs from all the wrong sorces or starved ourselves to lose weight but also starved our brain cells) or we actually are in the Keto flu so not feeling the best - some have really stuggled in the past and depression is often a close friend to us that have a lot of weight to lose - please be kind to all of us - if you are successful in Keto - I am very happy for you - congratulations - if you find it easy - yay - but we are not all the same - so if you are strong - please use that strength to help those not as capable - with your help we can become strong too - give us some of you good experience - we will battle the down sides - just please dont add fuel to our already ragging confused and over whelmed fire - we all have our own journey and our own story those that appear to expect miracles are perhaps the ones that actually need to hang onto that belief to hang in there - thank you - I am sure you are a very kind person and really did not mean to be short or rude - looking forward to you assistance in the future - stay well -

oh I just realized that this was commented in May - oops sorry as you may not have a clue what I was refering too - sorry - call it a mistake of the new to forum - but I will still leave it up here - because your comment about "dont expect miracles and toothbrush meet toothpaste was a real slap in the face with a wet flanel to me as well - not because I expect miracles or have the same issue - I have been on a very strict low cal diet for over 18 months and lost 40kg in the first six months - so going Keto is actually not that hard for me - but I remember when I first started dieting - so your 2 sentences would have hurt the poster - cause I also felt the sting

(Michelle) #12

I’ve noticed that if I have a higher carb day, the backs of my teeth feel furry the next day. But, I’m fat adapted, and the “furry teeth” don’t last for more than a day.

(Susan) #13

Welcome to the forum, Michelle -feel free to make a post of your own to introduce yourself too, so more people will see you and welcome you to our fabulous forum =).

Since you are fat adapted already, I am guessing that you have been doing Keto for a while. I am sure that you will see what an awesome forum it is in no time =).