Fasting for Health Benefits Already Lean

(Liam) #1

Hi I’m 6 foot 1 inch male 175 pounds and I’m fasting for the purported health benefits but I’m concerned that I am too lean and shouldn’t be doing this. I am at just about the 48-hour mark of an intended 5-day fast and deep hunger is hitting me. I have heard that certain hunger signals are not to be ignored and they mean that the body has no more fat to use and true starvation is setting in. Just looking for some feedback about these concerns. I am also concerned about losing muscle so I’m taking trace amounts of amino acids and wondering what people think about that approach?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Did you read this and use Richard’s calculator? At 6’1",175, you have limited fat stores, but still have some. You might want to just supplement some fat to get through the 5 days. Coffee with HWC or coconut oil should do it. Or if coffee isn’t your thing, 2 or 3 macadamia nuts. (Yes, you don’t have to eat the whole bag, just a tiny few will do.)

Does taking fat shut down autophagy?
Intermittent fasting calorie deficit

Amino acids will stop autophagy according to Fung. Sorry cannot look up the cite.

Maybe supplement with fat as was suggested

(Liam) #4

thanks! I am actually following the protocol from quantified body’s version of Valter Longo’s fast mimmicking diet, so am having 3 avocados a day and some greens powder, what is HWC?

(Liam) #5

oh wow, never heard that before!

(Liam) #6

yikes dont understand that article at all, how do I know what my lean body mass is? what does he mean by how much fat you need to prevent slowdown? slowdown of what?

To get a ballpark of my lean body mass I used the Army tape measurement test. Here is the link for that calculator. http://www.calculator.net/army-body-fat-calculator.html

The “slow-down” in the article linked to by @collaroygal refers to metabolism.

(Liam) #8

Thank you so much I’ve been in a researching frenzy about this since you posted that and can’t find anything. In fact just listen to the two keto dudes podcast about fasting and they say to not eat fat because you won’t get as much benefit while fasting. What types of fat are best to consume? I calculated that I need about 80 grams of fat per day to not slow down.

I’ve done one fat fast so far. I took coconut oil and kerrygold butter, sprinkled with cinnamon, for my fat.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

Also listen to the Megan Ramos Mixing It Up podcast. As you are thin and at normal weight, you should need some supplementation. Not much, just a tad as per Richard’s calculator.

I use coconut oil and macadamia nuts when I fast now and feel I need the supplementation. I am slightly below my original goal weight, and it is harder to lose weight if I do a straight liquids fast.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Heavy whipping cream.

This thread is good for looking up acronyms used on here:

(Liam) #12

thanks his calculator says I need 167g of fat, still dont fully understand WHY this is, is it to not slow down the metabolism? or is it to preserve muscle/lean mass?

(Liam) #13

When you say I might need supplementation are you talking about fat only or are you talking about certain minerals and vitamins?

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

The fat. But you should watch out for sodium, potassium, and magnesium getting too low. You will get keto flu symptoms if that is happening. Sodium is key to keep those in balance. Tons of threads here about that issue.

(Adam Kirby) #15

What is the best thing to eat for a fat-supplemented fast? The problem as I see it is pure fat like butter or coconut oil is totally gross to eat by itself. Something like cheese would be far more enjoyable, but that has protein and carbs.

(Jim Russell) #16

Heavy whipping cream is good. Especially in coffee.

(Liam) #17

any reason why someone couldn’t supplement with olive oil or macadamia nut oil instead of cream, coconut oil or butter?

(Liam) #18

any reason why someone couldn’t supplement with olive oil or macadamia nut oil instead of cream, coconut oil or butter?

(Liam) #19

(Jim Russell) #20

Other than macadamia nut oil being expensive, no reason at all. Avocado oil is good too.