Intermittent fasting calorie deficit

newbies
fasting

(Brian Coakley) #1

I was diagnosed 2 months ago with type 2 diabetes. I was eating a horrible diet and pretty much ignoring my health. After the diagnosis I switched to a low carb (under 50g a day) diet and had seen some ok weight loss for the first month about 10 pounds. I recently switched to a 16/8 fasting protocol while remaining on my low carb diet. My glucose numbers have been normal for a couple weeks now and I’ve seen another 15 lbs of weight loss.

My question is that with a reduced eating window I think my calorie deficit is pretty high (320 lbs 6 feet 2) maybe about 1,000 calories a day. Should I be concerned about lowering my metabolism with this fasting regimen? I’m learning that reducing my insulin response is very important but am I doing myself a disservice with a high daily calorie deficit.

Thanks in advance for your replies and helping me get some control over my health.

-Brian

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

You want your body to use the fat, if you are fat adapted, lower calories should not be an issue for you. This discussion should help you understand better what is going on when you fast.

(Brian Coakley) #3

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense.