December 2018 ZORNFAST

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

December’s Group Fast
Starting Thursday December 20th through Sunday December 23rd.
The Ketogenic Forums monthly group fast, ZornFast, always starts the third Thursday of the month and runs through the following Sunday.

I realize this month’s fast is just before Christmas, but some people want to get a good fast in right before Christmas. If you’d rather fast after Christmas you could always start a week later. We’ll be here, cheering you on.

This month’s group fast.

I started practicing monthly fasts February of 2016. I still gain great benefit.
Zornfasts are normally the third week of each month.
Join if you’d like, we’ll support each other here.
I always do a water fast. (water/ black coffee & tea). The definition of a fast is open to your interpretation and needs. Some will need to do a fat fast. There are benefits to that type of fast as well. I fast to target visceral (organ) fat and to promote autophagy. Fasting also releases HGH for muscle growth. I follow Dr. Jason Fung. Matter of fact, his book "The Obesity Code " is what started my venture into fasting nearly two years ago.
Because of the ketogenic diet I am no longer diabetic. Fasting managed to further improve my health dramatically since I have included it in my health regime. It has increased my insulin sensitivity.

(I want to you remind you guys to please use the blur spoiler if you want to talk about food. This is so the fasters can have a safe place to come and read and get support without having to think about or hear about food.
NEVER post photos of food in this topic or any fasting topic!
(Click on the little gear symbol in the text box of your post as you are writing, top right, and a menu pops up. Choose the blur spoiler.)

You may want to include this drink during your fast (or some version of it). I drink 2 bottles a day while fasting.

KetoAide homemade recipes, Recipes, RECIPES

It is very important that you check with your doctor before consuming Lite Salt, as it contains potassium. Do not over consume Lite Salt! I normally only drink two bottles of KetoAide a day and only add 1/4 teaspoon Lite Salt to each bottle. Do not supplement this with additional teaspoons of Lite Salt! That’s too much potassium! Again check with your physician before consuming Lite Salt. [image] [image] 290 mg sodium 350 mg potassium 75 mg magnesium

It is very important that you check with your doctor before consuming Lite Salt, as it contains potassium. Do not over consume Lite Salt! I normally only drink two bottles of KetoAide a day and only add 1/4 teaspoon Lite Salt to each bottle. Do not supplement this with additional teaspoons of Lite Salt! That’s too much potassium! Again check with your physician before consuming Lite Salt.
One 24 ounce bottle of KetoAide contains 290 mg sodium, 350 mg potassium and 75 mg magnesium

Do you know any of the tricks that can keep you from breaking your fast earlier than you would like? There are several. One is make sure you have your salt on point. Measure out a teaspoon and a half in the morning (this equals 3450 mg of sodium) and take pinches throughout the day. Make sure you hydrate. KetoAide has helped quite a few people. Try not to watch movies or TV that have food commercials. Try not to go into stores or smell food if you can help it. If your stomach growls drink sparkling carbonated water, this helps a lot. And one more thing… caffeine can suppress appetite. Use coffee or tea. Green tea has special properties, it contains a component called catechins that actually suppress ghrelin, the hunger hormone. Use one or all of these strategies and you should be able to fast longer. Remember, fasting is more psychological than anything else.

Gonna start my 7 days water fasting, I need motivation, please?
(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #2

Though this particular Zorn Fast starts on December 20th, I’m going to chronicle my 5 x 2s starting now.
I’m on the second day of my second five-day fast. I feasted well over the weekend.
Why am I doing this? Because I’m always experimenting. I just had a dexa scan, and plan to have another exactly three and a half months later just before I go to the Low Carb Denver Conference. I’m looking to see if this intense fasting regimen shows a significant change in lean mass, body fat etc. It’s already showed a tremendous change in appetite. This second fast is much much easier than last week’s. I found early euphoria and much reduced appetite from day one this week, which is great!

My crazy unusual (rare, never before attempted) back to back 5 x 2 fasting scenario: 5 days fasted, 2 days feasting x 4.
(only for one month so as not to risk slowing my metabolism)
I just had an RMR by the way and mine was excellent. In normal range with 2200 burned at rest! Plus I clearly showed a ketogenic metabolism within 1% of range. In other words, perfect.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

Following your 5x2 experiment. I will forever be grateful for the Zfasts. They got those stubborn last lbs. I had been fighting for years off my body for good. Now I do them to help maintain my weight loss.

I’m doing a fat fast, trying to do only bone broth and coffee this time, working on hr. 37 now.

Yep, well after Fasting all 5 days last week, (Mon-Fri 120-hr,) I was planning on eating this week and maybe jumping back in for another Fast the following week… But after looking into a few things, I’m already back to fasting again this week. :smile: … Since I spent yesterday working around my house, cutting down a tree, etc. I did eat something last night, but plan on Fasting until maybe Friday night or Saturday morning. - Our Wedding Anniversary is Saturday and we are planning to go out for dinner. So if anything, I will get maybe 96 to 108 hrs in this week if all goes well. … The wife is already Fasting herself with a fellow-Ketoer @Iced, so Fasting this week works out better. :slight_smile:

…I can always eat later! :wink: :laughing:

Oh, and presently in at 18 hrs…

I hit an all-time low of 202 (-53 lbs) last week after three days of water fasting and then feasted on grilled shrimp for two nights along with other high protein. But carbs below 20 total each day.

Bad idea. I gained back 5 pounds of water in 2 days and was retaining it in my legs. Blood pressure elevated occasionally just enough (143/76) to concern me. I’m learning the hard way that too much protein is not good for me.

Now nearing the end of 72 hours water fasting with intent to add another day or so. Weight back down to 202, swelling almost all gone as I finally wooshed today. BP back down but with some heart pounding because of fast.

Am intent on keeping this fast going until I reach or pass 200. Could be tomorrow because I respond well to fasting.

Aiming to get in a few more 48-60 hour fasts before Christmas week. Would love to go into holiday week at 195.

I’m just coming up on 31 hrs. myself. But have an early day, since I have to be at work at 4am to run a snow shift. Mostly to hit cold spots. (Not calling for much) … But only slept a few hours before getting back up before Midnight, and now just sitting around wide awake. :slight_smile: ( Should make for a long morning ) But feeling fine.

(Mike Glasbrener) #7

I’m in for 48 hrs so far. I’ll prob break in the morning near 60hrs.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

57 : 32
Doing well.
Lifted weights yesterday . Broke a new record of mine again. When I’m lifting fasting definitely gives me superpowers.
The only problem I’m having is the fact that I miss food, I miss sitting down to a good meal.
I also really like how I feel when I’m fasting so that helps me to continue.
I can see the finish line. Slept very well last night. Getting a lot done this week as I knew I would. Planning on breaking the fast at 5 days.
This is the weight that I lifted, 45 hours fasted.

(Bob M) #9

Where do you get an RMR done?

(Bob M) #10

I would like to see an RMR at the end of this. My prediction is that it would go down. That’s just too many fasting days and not enough feasting days, especially given the intensity of your workouts. Though I’ve been known to be wrong in the past.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

Ended up breaking my fast with some fat fast items last night, so refeeding today and will jump into a 36 hr. fast with coffee and water/salt only.

Any fasting is good fasting, that’s my story and I’m keeping to it.

KCFO everyone.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #12

I’m afraid I’ll never know, because I don’t plan to have another RMR at the end of this. Each session at the dexa center is $100. I’ll have my next session in three and a half months to recheck lean mass. It will be sometime before I care to check RMR again, if it had gone down at all it will be back to normal by then. I’m doing so excellent with keto and fasting even if it did slow a bit this month? It will repair quickly. But I actually don’t think it’s going to slow. Fasting also raises metabolism, as does feasting. And I’m very careful.
My workouts really aren’t as intense as they look. The whole routine takes me one and a half hours and I never push it too hard. Usually nowhere near aerobic either. I am Lifting for strength.

Wish I had more cash to throw around I would check my RMR more often.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

This is what usually gets me. Not actually getting hungry, but just missing a very nice meal. :confused:

And yep, this would be the other side to that damn coin. :smirk: And why I enjoy fasting so much…

Now, if we can just find Food that is so good, it makes us feel as we do when we Fast.

Wait, FoodFast, …Fast Food! Nooooooo!!! 35%20AM

GOOD CONVERSATION!

Fasting makes me feel good.

E
V
E
R
Y
T
I
M
E

Not always for the FULL time, however. Occasionally it doesn’t work just right.

That’s when I quit…until the NEXT one. :slightly_smiling_face:

@Brenda So FEAST ing actually increases RMR?? For sure?? Is that settled science???

I knew FAST ting increases metabolism…but I really didn’t know that about feasting

(Justin Jordan) #16

Same. My hunger and satiety mechanisms are fairly messed up, so it’s always just a matter of how long I can resist the urge to eat.

Yeah, you hit on an issue I’ve thought on as well. (at least the hunger part) I’ve posted and been saying for a while now, that I can’t recall the last time I got truly hungry. (Even while Fasting) - Not to say I have to feel ravenous, but most times I think I just miss the meals themselves? Like I might think of certain foods I have a taste for, but can think about those for days before actually acting on it. … Dunno?

I mean I can cook, bake, smell or see foods while Fasting, etc. And there’s no problems. But after a few days I simply start missing nice meals in general. I may just start throwing around ideas of what I might want to break with, but most times when I do break a Fast, (even week long Fast) I mostly feel it’s by choice, rather than need. … But either way, it’s working for now, so I’m just seeing it for what it is. :slight_smile:

As far as Satiety, I think that’s still working for me? I generally eat till I feel full, but never feel stuffed.

Well, looks like I will be breaking this one off way before I wanted. (46 hrs.?) Some things have come into play that is going to make continuing to Friday not well suited unfortunately. … I think the unscheduled Fasting, on behalf of myself, my wife and my son! (Who knew!) Kind of did us in this time. :confused: With the Dinner out we have planned this weekend, and being tied up with other activities the next two nights, looks like we will have to take this one for what it was and move on. :slight_smile: … Hope you Fasters keep rolling along with yours!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #19

Absolutely. Feast well, and the body revs up to burn up the excess fuel. Not overeat, mind you.
Science? Basic understood biology :slight_smile:
https://idmprogram.com/fix-broken-metabolism/

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

74 hours in and all is well. I feel comfortable, energized, and not hungry.
I miss eating :frowning:
46 hours to go…