Could use a kind word

(Wandering) #1

I’ve been hard core keto for a few days, not eating anything that has more than a gram of carbs per serving … so that’s mostly cheese, some meat, water, etc.

I’m feeling incredibly … I don’t know … different. I can’t explain it really, I’m not even sure if its good or bad, just very different.

But I’m also feeling emotional / sad, and I could just use a kind word if anyone has a few to offer.

I think I’m about 4 or 5 days in, I’m not even sure to be honest.

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Wandering =).

These two threads should help =). It is really important to keep your electrolytes up. Many people that are new to Keto are not aware of this, and they end up suffering heavy carb and sugar withdrawal and feeling horrid. If you keep your electrolytes up, it will really help.

Try to eat 3 good meals a day (keeping your carbs at 20 grams or less, which you certainly seem to be trying to do already, so that is great!), no sugar, healthy proteins and fats, and drink enough water. Don’t worry about calories for now, your body is adjusting to enough changes getting rid of all the carbs in your body. It is an adjustment period, but if you are patient and work on the electrolytes, soon you will be feeling much better!

It is helpful if you can try to do the three meals that fill you up, and to not snack inbetween, so you can keep your insulin levels low enough to burn fat! Best wishes, and if you have any other questions, please ask away!

I am sure that others will come along and offer you great advice and encouragement as well. Keto is awesome, and I am sure that you will feel that way too, if you just make sure you eat enough, that is very important =).

To give you a rough idea:

Breakfast --3 or 4 eggs, cooked how you like
4 pieces of bacon
Coffee or Tea with some MCT Oil and/or HWC (Heavy Whipping Cream)

Lunch–Romaine lettuce cut up in a bowl, with a can of water packed, drained tuna, and Chosen Foods Avocado Mayonnaise (2 tablespoons), chop up some celery, pickle, olives in there too if you like them =).

Supper --a steak, or some fish, chicken, pork, etc. a meat of your choice
Some nice low carb vegetables like Bok Choy, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, (by example) and add butter on top of the meat and/or vegetables and/or some melted cheese as well =).

This is just to give you a rough idea of what a day of food could look like, that would be enough to fill you up. If you drink plenty of water and electrolytes as well, you should be feeling the awesome benefits of Keto in no time! I wish you the best.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #3

Welcome to the forum. It’s normal to mourn the loss psychologically for sugar and carbs but also your body is making changes. Some people experience body discomfort, others mental. Be sure you’re getting plenty of electrolytes. I enjoyed chicken bullion cubes not only for the comfort but because it helped tremendously to feel less sluggish that first week and for the first few months as needed.

I remember feeling like I didn’t want to eat because I didn’t want anything low carb. I wasn’t excited about food, etc. This, I now know, was the mental side of withdrawal. Within a couple of weeks I felt better than normal and was super psyched to eat again. Get plenty of rest, remind yourself why you choose to make the change and feel free to ask any questions as you transition.

(Failed) #4

I don’t have any profound words for you, the previous posters have said it all.

Just know that you’re not alone, everyone has experienced at least some of the issues you have and will experience. Also please know that you are doing wonderful things for yourself. You will live longer and better for giving up the carbage.

We are here for you.

Hi,
Use an app, so you track your meals to start with.

It gets easier, I promise. Don’t think of this lifestyle as all the foods you’re missing, thing of all the good changes you’re making.

I’m not sure where you are, but if you’re Northern hemisphere please indulge in some buttery cauliflower mash, fatty steak with lots of salty butter. This diet isn’t about deprivation, it’s about just eating in a different way.

Once you’re thru this keto fog, which is easier if you keep your magnesium and salt up, it will be fine.

Take pictures, measure yourself, set goals and rewards that aren’t food.

Keep Calm, Keto On. :blush:

(Jack Bennett) #6

Change is not easy. I’m pretty new here myself but I find this place inspiring and friendly. You’re very smart to reach out for help in the early days of the keto life.

(PJ) #7

I have gone off and on keto many times. And you know what? I feel crappy and sad – because I lack energy, which affects my mind as well as body – initially. Every time.

I did discover that this is one thing exogenous ketones does help a bit.

But really… just power through it, and once your body starts really using fat for energy, it will change. I know it’s hard until then.

(Jill F.) #8

I was a serious carb addict. I literally felt like death the 1st week on keto. I mourned the loss of sugar, eating my emotions. It took a while to learn to eat for fuel and not for feelings or cravings. Hang in there, I don’t regret joing the keto family one bit. It is my new life now and I love it!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #9

Its always hard giving up things we love. However, the benefits can be totally worth it. Even when you don’t see success just remember that it will come. Sometimes we have to have failures (or slip-ups) just to have an astounding success later on. We are all here for you :smiley:

Keep your chin up! You can do this!

(Trudy) #10

I can’t like this post enough! @PetaMarie, you have summed this up beautifully. I suffered the psychological withdrawal from my addiction reflected so well in my journal of the first few weeks Keto! Thank you for such an insightful post.

Ahhh, I feel for you cause I felt weird also in this change.

I had to mourn my old way of eating. It does make you feel sad and lonely cause other’s aren’t doing it with you and long term, omg I give up all these foods I love forever? and yes it can bring you down.
Plus adaption will change your body and we all have to get thru that.

You will feel different, toxins leaving your body, adaption, mental challenges in this change…all normal.

You are not alone, we are all here and done it and realize how you feel…you do have other’s that know exactly how you feel mentally and physically :slight_smile:

Hold strong, great benefits are coming your way longer on plan!

(Polly) #12

Welcome. You will be absolutely fine if you stick with it and ride the wave to the beach.

(Joey) #13

@Wandering Welcome to the forum and congratulations on taking steps to enhance your health and your life. As you can already see, there are a lot of folks here who will take the time and effort to help you along.

I’ll offer up this thought:

Change is not really so hard. What’s hard is fighting the change.

Do your best to embrace it, understand it, and learn everything you can about yourself from it. Then, you wind up being far better off for it.

Best wishes - and please keep us posted.

(William P Pochis) #14

my first seven days was hard and then it started easing up a little, my weight is 15 down and my blood sugar has been perfect for 2wks, don’t give up it gets better.

In a way I agree with @SomeGuy when he says **Change is not really so hard. What’s hard is fighting the change. **
When something involves too much struggle, usually it won’t work (I’m not talking about the time every thing new requires to work). When we make a decision for real, the struggle is gone. When we accept profoundly that things can not be the same, then the struggle is gone. There will be sadness, discomfort and emotional pain, but hopefully it will be temporary. (Telling this to myself too!)

(Marianne) #16

I agree; I think this is real.

I would make sure to eat three decent meals a day of foods that are delicious to you, even if you don’t want to, for at least 2 weeks. This will remove many of the carb cravings, satisfy your emotional need to “eat,” remove hunger, and make you feel more positive in general. You will still lose weight. After that, you most likely will not want to eat that often or as much and can reduce your meals if you like.

Please hang in there; good luck.

@Wandering, just realized you asked for a kind word. So I just would like to add that we are only human. I don’t know why you chose to do keto, but if you feel this is the path for you, hang in there. You’re not alone. :sunflower::sunflower:

(Doug) #18

Wandering, you are doing something really good for yourself. :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s a big change and I think it lays some of us rather bare, emotionally - that’s certainly the way it was and is for me.

(Wandering) #19

Thank you, I’m curious, how long does it usually take for you to feel better ?

(Wandering) #20

Thank you for the great response, this was really helpful, I read all the links. Eating some salt seems to have helped quite a bit, my mood is much more positive than when I wrote that post, I feel a little bit better now.