Confusion over fat adapted or not?

bloodglucose
glucose

Hi everyone, I have a question if some of you would be so kind as to answer…

I’ve been doing keto and doing IF for a little over a month now. I am trying to get healthy, and part of that is trying to become fat adapted. In doing so, I hope to bring down my insulin levels (which I have) and rid myself of insulin resistance so that the inflammation in my arteries (among other things) would be eliminated and prohibit plaque buildup in my arteries. At the moment, I know I am in ketosis, and I know my glucose levels have gone down and seem normal for the most part and my ketones seem always within moderate to optimal rance; but, I have no idea whether or not I am fat adapted.

So here is my question:

How do I know if I am fat adapted or not? I basically have been eating NO sugar and < 20g net carbs/day for the past month, but lately I’ve been getting tired about 1 hour after eating, have hardly no energy during the day, and my sleep is CONSTANTLY interrupted 12AM every night after going to bed at 8:00 PM (I get up at 4:00 AM for work). My hemoglobin may be a little low due to a bleeding ulcer in my esophagus 2+ weeks ago, but it’s since stopped, although I know my iron is low right now (I also have gastritis and esophogeitis, and am on PPI’s 2x/day until the ulcer and GI issues heal up). I’m taking an iron supplement and am due to have 2 iron transfusions over the next week. I am also on a multi that includes Thiamine, and I am trying to keep my potassium levels up, although the RDA is pretty difficult to meet.

Can anyone clear the fog for me?

P.S. Other than the aforementioned, which makes me sound like a mess, I am a very fit guy; I’m 55, 5" 5", muscular, 168 lbs., have a 0.53 waist-to-height ratio and about 16% body fat. I work out once a day.

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Gangelo =).

Congrats on your Keto journey so far. I am wondering if you are getting enough electrolytes?

You can make this recipe, or just take in pill form as well if you prefer. Personally I eat Pink Himalyan Salt (2 teaspoons a day or more when fasting ) and take Magesium Caltrate tablets (3 a day) because I don’t like salty water, but many people find it easier to make this recipe and drink it daily =).

I find if I am feeling not well or get cramps, eating extra salt helps.

(Joey) #3

@gangelo welcome to the forum and congrats on the progress you’ve been making to turn around a range of health challenges!

The short answer is, it’s hard to tell at what moment you’re fully fat adapted because it happens slowly over time - as the mitochondtia in tissues/organs become able to utilize ketones instead of glucose. Most folks report feeling noticeably more energized, less hungry, and other related keto eating benefits … almost like it suddenly sneaks up on them and they realize it.

The challenge in your situation is that you’ve likely got a range of complicating factors involved at this time that may be “getting in the way” of your feeling what you might otherwise feel on any given day. And so, since becoming fat-adapted is something that is most readily sensed by “feelings,” you may have other health “noise” in the way of sensing such things.

Many folks report that it took them 4-6 weeks to reach the conclusion that they were fat adapted… some shorter, some longer.

My suggestion would be, while working closely with your physician to address the other health issues you’re facing, to calmly “keto on” - as it will serve you well in everything else you’re in the process of addressing.

Make sure, as you fully transition to keto eating, you get enough healthy animal fats, stay well hydrated, and as @Momof5 notes above, keep your electrolytes up with sufficient salt/magnesium. I drink homemade “keto aide” (recipes available on this forum) to ensure sufficient electrolytes and fluid and it works like a charm.

Keep us posted on your progress. Best wishes!

Hi @Momof5,

I drink Ultima Replenisher throughout the day and think I’m okay there, dunno. I also (when doing IF, which I usually do 18-6) take pink salt by the 1/4 tsp. as I feel I need it when I feel a bit weak; although my potassium is questionable; I try to get enough cruciferous leafy grens/meal, but the RDA is pretty high, and I do notice on occasion that my legs retain a bit of water now and then, so that might be an indication my potassium is low? This is rocket science to me, good grief.

I will definitely have a look at that drink, ty!

(Susan) #5

I really feel you have so many medical things to deal with; I really hope that Keto will help improve a lot of your conditions (hopefully all)! Keto has helped so many of us with various health issues; as well as the weight loss, so I wish you all the best =).

(Scott) #6

I don’t think it is possible to say “at 12:00 yesterday I became fat adapted”. It just doesn’t work like that. You can safely assume that at point X you are but it is a slow slide into adaption and not a switch that gets thrown. Me moment that it occured to me that I was moving to a more fat adapted state was at about three months in. My morning runs just sucked, I had to walk some and was generally tired (out of gas). One day going up hill I thought “hey, this doesn’t suck anymore”. That was it, I may have actually felt that way for days earlier but it was only at that moment that I made the connection.

I had been doing keto for six weeks and thought I was becoming fat adapted due to off and on lack of hunger and crazy but focused energy (like taking Ritalin when you don’t have ADHD energy). One Saturday I woke up, ate two Spanish fried eggs, a piece of ham and some shredded mozzarella cheese. I then went and did a 12 mile, 2900 foot elevation gain hike with no snacks or food of any kind and just plain water. I was just as strong, fast and energetic at mile 12 as I was at mile one and never got hungry until dinner a few hours later. That’s how and when I knew I was fat adapted.

(Susan) #8

That is awesome, Sara =).

Aww, thank you Susan. You are my favorite person on this forum and I smiled when I saw your like. :slight_smile:

(Susan) #10

Awww, thank you. This forum is lovely, and so supportive, and I feel privileged to be a part of it =).

(Marianne) #11

Welcome. I haven’t read through the entire thread yet, so I’m sure you’ve gotten a bunch of responses.

I don’t believe you are fat adapted yet. When you are, you will feel energized even when doing strenuous and sustained activities or exercise - and you won’t feel hungry or need to eat afterward.

When I started, I had heard that it can take up to 4-5 months to become fat adapted. I was convinced that I was going to become fat adapted way sooner because I had probably less than 10 g carbs a day, no sugar, no snacks, and no cheating. It took me 4.5 months and I remember when it happened. The difference was very evident - no fatigue, no hunger - just felt great and ready for more.

(Marianne) #12

:+1:

So true, keto helps with everything. I finally feel like I am doing something to take care of my body, even moreso than exercise.

Well, I certainly don’t feel hungry and can go 3 days if I need to without cravings (like I did in the hospital when I had my ulcer bleed);’so that’s a good sign :slight_smile:

Hey, so far my glucose levels have stabilized and I’ve been able to get off my blood pressure meds I’ve been on for 10 years after trying so many times over the years and lost a ton of weight :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #15

That is really fantastic, congratulations for all your Keto victories so far =).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

And actually, our standard line on these forums is 6-8 weeks, possibly longer. So @gangelo, give yourself at least another month before worrying.

The electrolyte business I saw in an earlier post in this thread might be helpful, but to me, it simply sounds as though you are not quite fat-adapted yet. You’ll know that you are adapted when your energy returns. In the meantime, exercise lightly (don’t overstress your body right now) and keto on.

(Jess) #17

I, like the original poster, minus the health issue’s welcome the day I become fat adapted! I began Keto September 4th this year, got through the ‘Keto Flu’ which was horrendous, as a mother of 4, it felt like the worst morning sickness ever! Minus the headaches, I still feel fatigued… Half the time I find it hard to elevate my voice properly due to lack of energy… my body although lighter feels heavier at times… like I have to hold myself up! I’m waiting for the prize of being Fat Adapted so I can return to the gym, love working out and weight lifting, but this fatigue right here has a string hold!

Exactly what I went through/am going through minus the headaches! Unfortunately, the PPI’s I have to take ATM for my GI issues don’t allow me to break down fat and absorb nutrients as efficiently as some, and my bariatric surgery makes it even worse, so it may take me longer :frowning:

I see this question often and I have to admit I don’t quite understand it.
I personally can go a long time without food and not be hungry. Isn’t that the test of whether you are fat adapted?

So can I, 3 days, 4 days no problems, but I am not fat adapted yet; no energy, body’s fighting it.