Chaffles

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #427

That brownie looks incredible, @Jamboribs! And the shape reminds me of the sandwich toaster we had when I was a kid - looks perfect for brownies!

(Steve) #428

Thanks
That’s exactly what it is. I’m glad we didn’t throw them out.
We use sandwich iron just for sweet chaffles

Nice. I tried this with 1 T confectioners swerve and then with granulated. Confectioners much better texture. Pro tip. If cream cheese is just out of the fridge microwave it briefly (not enough to start it cooking) to soften. The nutter should also be room temp but i did it wih melted as well.

(Carnivore for the win) #430

Started with the recommended 10g mozzarella, 1/2 a large egg, then 10g mozzarella on a dash waffle maker.

Has anyone toasted them after the fact? I like how crispy they are after they cool down on the rack for a while, but it doesn’t allow for melting butter on it.

I also got a dash mini panini press. I am going to try toasting them on that after they cool down, so I can melt butter and cream cheese.

I have tried toasting them afterward but they end up being a little drier and chewy. You could try melting the butter separately and pouring it on top.

(Carnivore for the win) #432

Good idea. I grilled them in the panini press tonight, after cooling them down. One with butter and one buttered afterwards. The buttered one got soggy in the press, the one I buttered afterwards was ok, but dried out a bit as you mentioned. I may try frying them in a hot pan with melted butter and see how that goes.

(Wendy) #433

OMG! That Brownie Chaffle looks soo good!! I have got to try it. I’ve thinking about a way to make a chocolate Chaffle! Woah - La! Thank you for your post!

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #434

I’ve done them as cheese on toast under the grill - delicious! (grill in UK is what I think is called a broiler in US.)

(Carnivore for the win) #436

I loved broiled cheese toast growing up. Definitely going to try that with the chaffle. Wish I had a has range, but the electric broiler should do a good enough job.

(Bob M) #437

Sorry. I cooked two chaffles this weekend (my new thing: a chaffle with the “old” lunch meat/deli meat that needs to be used up, for “blunch” on the weekend – I don’t eat breakfast), but did not have time to pulverize the cheese. The only thing we have is a large food processor, and it seems like a lot of work to get it out for one chaffle. Every day, we’ve been working on getting our kid’s rooms back to normal after painting, so the entire days were taken up with that (and church) instead. But I’ll see if I can break out the food processor and pulverize some cheese in advance. I won’t have another chaffle until this coming weekend, though.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #438

I recently gave mine away - I was finding every excuse not to use it because it’s just so much to wash up afterwards! I’m a happy camper now with three much much smaller kitchen gadgets instead - a stick blender (for chaffles), a mini chopper (to make cauliflower rice) and an electric whisk (for making Frankenfluff or cheesecake mousse)!

I made these this weekend and they were delicious: https://www.buttertogetherkitchen.com/white-bread-keto-chaffle/

To me the texture was closer to toast and I preferred it to the egg and mozzarella one I made last weekend. I also liked that there was no cheese as I’m trying to cut out dairy.

Edited for typo

Pumpkin Bread Chaffles.

Soften two ounces of cream cheese, mix in about a teaspoon of vanilla, beat in an egg, then mix in about 1/3-1/2 cup canned pumpkin (I didn’t actually measure), and sweetener to your taste (I used 20 drops of liquid sucralose, which is supposed to be the equivalent of about 2/3 cup sugar; you might prefer less) until well combined. Add about two tablespoons almond flour, a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, a teaspoon of psyllium husk, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Add two or three tablespoons chopped walnuts (or whatever). Makes four or five chaffles in a Dash Mini. Use non-stick cooking spray. Cook until light goes off. For easiest removal, pick up iron (using hot mitts!) and dump out each chaffle, because these come out soft and squishy, just like regular pumpkin bread is straight out of the oven. If you want to get fancy or festive, you could drizzle with a cream cheese glaze, but these are plenty moist to eat plain.

(Deborah ) #441

These sound really good, but I can’t find the ingredient list! I pinned the page, and scrolled through the whole thing. Saw the how-to instructions, and lots of descriptive narrative, but no ingredients?

(PJ) #442

Just a note @ctviggen

I have a Ninja kitchen (food processor, blender, smoothie cups) which is high-power, high-speed. I only “shred” cheese in the normal way for precisely one dish now because it needs a tiny fine-shred fresh off the block.

Otherwise, I use my well worth the $ cheese knife [1] to cut up big blocks into 1" cubes, toss them in the ninja, and minced them to “fine crumble.”
[1] https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QFV8JY/
(PS works great for super hard butter, too)

Put that into a variety of quart-sized ziploc-style bags, and spread it out a bit so they stack flat, and some I put in fridge for fresh use, and others I put in freezer. They defrost well and if they are being used in anything “melty” it’s fine.

I use monterey jack for nearly everything because it’s insanely low-carb comparatively (the only thing lower is gruyere which I can’t afford), high fat, and such a neutral taste it subs perfectly for mozzarella. (Aside from that I sometimes use colby-jack blend, or cheddar). It makes much moister chaffles btw. And it melts much better in other dishes.

Anyway, so when I get time, I chop up and mince in the Ninja a few pounds of cheese, usually at least 2# of each type, and put them in the bags and in the freezer and some the fridge. Obviously if you also need ‘slices’ from your block, you can do that while you are cutting up the blocks for the crumbles. You can do a ton of this in a very short amount of time. Do the mildest cheeses first and you don’t need to wash it between them, just dust it out lightly with your fingertips.

Then you have ready to use cheese for a long time. In other words – if you’re going to do it at all, do it in bulk all at once! Then it’s worth the trouble. :slight_smile:

PJ

I got to the recipe eventually but it was a long way down!!

Did take a screenshot of them but don’t know how to post. Sorry.

Here you go:

INGREDIENTS
1 Egg
3 tbsp Almond Flour
1 tbsp Mayonnaise
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Water

What Did You Keto Today? The Trilogy!
(PJ) #445

All recipe blogware is like that. When you go to a page, if you just want to go to the recipe, hit Ctrl+End, and then page up a time or two through comments. The recipe is always at the bottom of a seemingly endless stream of rambling and photos.

(Elizabeth ) #446

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Jane) #447

Great idea to start at the bottom. All the blah blah blah is boring and the endless ads you have to scroll by. Especially annoying on a phone without a mouse to do the scrolling for you.

Since they are offering them for free I probably shouldn’t complain LOL.