Carnivore info please

(Elizabeth ) #103

there are a few kosher style all beef that are OCCASIONALLY Ok to eat, don’t make it a daily habit, but at $5/lb pack, I can get great ground beef or sometimes a steak for the same price…

(Elizabeth ) #104

don’t need to eat liver but if you like it, have it occasionally. :slight_smile:

(Ethan) #105

There are a couple brands that do all beef and limited to no fillers, but really not many. Hot dogs probably aren’t that nutritious

(Elizabeth ) #106

zerocarb was chosen to replace carnivore as that implies SOME meat eating. It has been understood in the community for about 10 years to mean zero carbs from PLANTS

(Elizabeth ) #107

no possibility of constipation unless you have a dry colon or other unusual health defect/issue. Meat comes from the stomach as a slurry called chyme- there is much less residue, so common patterns of elimination are 2-3 times a week to once a week, all normal. Extra fat will speed things up (you’ll know if you are eating too much very quickly)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #108

Constipation can be related to salt intake. The first thing to try is to get more salt, then if that doesn’t do the trick, look at other things. According to the PURE study and a couple of others that came out round the same time, 4-6 grams of sodium is the healthiest level of intake, which translates to 10-15 grams of table salt (2-3 U.S. teaspoons). Be sure to count the salt already present in food.

Many carnivores stop adding salt to their food and seem fine. Apparently, you get enough salt automatically by eating that much meat. In any case, bowel movements seem to be fine for most people on keto, to the point that many people find that fibre messes them up, rather than helps them. I think carnivore is probably more so. Contrary to the advice of the laxative manufacturers, a bowel movement doesn’t need to occur every day, so long as there are no problems whenever your bowel actually does move.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #109

Did I read it wrong? I sometimes do that, sorry! :frowning:

Whatever I put in the previous post, I meant that by calories, it’s 69% fat and 31% protein, when eating equal amounts of each by weight. Hope that clears things up.

(Karen) #110

I am a little cautious to add too much salt as I have high BP and on small dosage medication. I have always had a higher than normal BP which used to be in the higher end of the safe range until new guidelines lowered the safe range and my BP was then just above it! Only because I am at that age did I take Docs advice and take medication for it. I don’t like to take medication, preferring alternative therapies. When I was asked about my diet (prior to Keto) I was told there was nothing I could really tweak but just be aware of salt intake.

(Laurie) #111

@Karen18
Believe it or not, I find it’s the plants that make me constipated. And fiber (e.g., flax, psyllium) makes it worse. Now I eat meat, eggs, and cheese, and I have no problem in that regard–unless I let some plant product slip in.

(Scott) #112

One thing is for sure, I haven’t had a two minute warning during my morning running since giving up fiber. I will put that in the plus column for carnivore.

(Scott) #113

Have a silly question . I cooked two hamburger patties for supper . It was fine but used to eating with cheese and sugar free ketchup and without it’s a litte bit dry. In Canada it’s actually illegal to serve it rare or medium
Rare . Basically no pink . So any tricks with regards to sauce or making not so dry. Used medium ground beef cooked to 165. Steak if fine just salt and pepper

(Ethan) #114

Fattier beef. Use 73/27, not 85/15.

(Scott) #115

All I can get is medium ground beef and they are all no more tan 23% fat unless butcher but to expensive

(Edith) #116

You can use extra beef fat either through trimmings or suet, chop it up, and add it to your ground beef. Then I serve the burger with the rendered fat poured on top like a sauce.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #117

@macscott

Walmart’s Our Finest Sirloin Beef Burgers:

If you don’t want butter or cheese, cook sous vide. It will retain all the juices.

(Scott) #118

Thanks I’m trying to stay away from cheese . It’s a weeknas

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #119

How about an ‘Egg Bacon Burger’ sunnyside up? This was cooked in a microwave but could be cooked stovetop or toaster oven just as well. I used tamari sauce, but you could skip that.

(Scott) #120

I like them medium rare with blue cheese on top. I get mayo on the side and dip the fork in the mayo before each bite…you asked.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #121

If your high-blood pressure is salt-sensitive, then you should be careful not to exceed the healthy range of sodium intake, which is 4-6 grams/day (10-15 g of sodium chloride, or 2-3 U.S. teaspoons). The healthy intake range is the same for everyone, but the risk curve rises more steeply above the healthy range, than it does for people who are not salt-sensitive hypertensives. Only a minority of cases of hypertension are salt-sensitve, or so I understand, and those with high blood pressure that is not salt-sensitive have the same risk curve as the normotensive population.

High insulin can interfere with the regulation of blood pressure by interfering with the production of nitric oxide (NO), which the body uses to relax the arteries and lower blood pressure. The arteries thus become stiff and blood pressure rises. Thus, a ketogenic diet, by lowering serum insulin, helps promote normal blood pressure.

(Steve) #122

Great conversation here . I have a question about the meats and fat . I don’t like a lot of fatty meat except bacon . I like chicken breast but not thighs , when I eat steak I usually buy a beef tenderloin and cut it up myself and it’s lean . I do eat fattier ground beef and not a seafood person . I read about adding coconut oil or ghee or butter with leaner meats but do I need to add these if looking to lose a bunch of weight , Also heard people are having gut issues with these