Carnivore info please

(Ethan) #123

I think Ted Naiman says a 3:1 protein:fat ratio by gram can be for short term weight loss. That said, you may find you start liking fatty meat after a while

(Alex) #124

Cooking method can make a difference. If they’re pre-made then wrapping them in foil and baking them for 25mins at 160C (320F?) means they sit in their juices rather than drain onto the tray.

If you’re making them yourself, I make 1/2lb patties but with the same diameter as quarterpounders so they’re quite rounded, cook them at 160C for 25 minutes (don’t need to wrap them in foil if they’re very thick), and then let them cool for 5 minutes before slicing them in half to eat. Always steaming and juicy in the middle that way.

However you cook them, you can save the juices/liquid fat to combine with an egg yolk to make a tasty sauce. Just whisk up an egg yolk in a bowl or jug and then keep stirring while you slowlly pour in the fat and it should thicken. Then pour over the burgers to eat. This works with any meat e.g. steak sauce, pork sauce, chicken sauce etc.

Or if you eat butter like I do, add a liberal layer of butter to the burger like you would cheese. This works better if the burger has been cooling for 5 or 10 minutes.

(Alex) #125

On zc your energy source is fat as carbohydrate amounts are negligible, so you do need to get enough fat to fuel your body. However it seems many long term carnivores thrive on just fattier cuts of steak and ground beef and bacon, without adding much extra fat.

If you like bacon and fattier ground beef, that’s great :slight_smile: I would start with at least 1.5-2lb of beef and add bacon to satiety. If you love chicken breast, have it with 1/2lb bacon. Having the occasional beef tenderloin isn’t likely to do you any harm as long as you also have some fat that day. And having some lower fat days is fine too. It seems common for people to develop the ability to listen to their body regarding what meat it’s craving that day.

As Ethan mentions, you might find your taste for fatty meat changes. But if it doesn’t, Kelly Hogan is still going strong eating ground beef every day for more than a decade!

(Scott) #126

I used to go for the filet mignon because I was brain washed into thinking fat is bad. Now the ribeye is my favorite and yes I eat all the fat. I also put about five pats of butter on it when it comes off the grill to rest. It makes a great lunch tjhe next day served cold with lots of salt.

(Elizabeth ) #127

If you’re cooking it yourself just start making it a little rarer each time.I actually like mine seared on the outside and cold and red in the middle. Cook up a mess of bacon and eat them with the bacon fat

(Steve) #128

Thanks so much different info out there on all these subjects

(Edith) #129

When I first started keto, I never ate the fat on the steak. I ate chicken breast because that was the healthier option. Now, when I eat a ribeye, I think the fat is the best part. I never thought I would say that. I actually never really liked breast meat for chicken because it was too dry. Thighs are much tastier.

If I cook up a leaner steak, I throw a few chunks of suet in the pan to melt and I cook the steak in that. Then I pour the extra fat over the meat. @Alexaar, I will have to try that egg yolk suggestion.

My taste buds have definitely changed over the years.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #130

Fat is not magic, it is merely the one type of macronutrient that stimulates the least insulin secretion. We need a certain level of insulin in order to survive, but too much insulin in our blood causes damage, as well as trapping fat in our fat tissue. We avoid carbohydrate because it stimulates insulin the most. You will probably find it helpful to eat enough protein and fat to satisfy your hunger, while keeping carbohydrate intake low. Deliberately restricting calories is risky, because when our body doesn’t get enough food, it wants to hang on to our fat.

(Alex) #131

I miss the egg yolk sauce! Just make sure the fat is liquid/juices are warm, but not so hot they scramble the egg - it’s a bit of a goldilocks situation but after a couple of times it’s easy to judge :slight_smile:

Edit: This method can also be used to make a dipping sauce for bacon using the grease. You are welcome.

(Steve) #132

Thanks Alex almost sounds like making mayonnaise .,
And the reason I like filet minion and tenderloin was not a huge fan of fat on steaks . Not brainwash just a very simple palette . I will try a ribeye this weekend if not to expensive . Meat is expensive we’re I live if not on sale. Here is a place that I would consider one step below Walmart in terms of meat . Never bought meat here . I have been to aldi in states but only for some dry goods

(Ethan) #133

That is a strip steak–one of my favorite cuts. It is not as fatty as a ribeye, but still decent.

(Alex) #134

I could never get mayo to work so it’s like my lazy version! Although the sauce is much runnier and is best eaten warm just after it’s made as the saturated animal fats tend to go a bit clumpy if they’re left to cool for too long.

(Marianne) #135

Thank you; I am curious about this and have thought about it. What are the obvious benefits?

(Marianne) #136

I find most things are like that.

Love this post. Very thought provoking.

(Steve) #137

Thanks the ad said ribeye steak so didn’t know it was a strip. Didn’t know the difference

(Karen) #138

To PaulL
I have never had an insulin problem or diabetis, fortunately I have always had very positive healthy check ups at the doctors (apart from the BP and the doctor thinks I actually have white coat hypertension syndrome !) with only once my iron levels a little low which surprised me by the amount of meat I I used to eat at that time. I have gone through lots of different ways of eating after many years of yo yo dieting but haven’t food restricted for many years now. I tend to eat according to my blood group, O positive, which is the hunter gatherer which makes eating carnivore a pretty good option. I will try anything for optimum health and this way has had me changing the way I think about food. I do love vegetables but keto has helped me transition away from them … maybe in prep for carnivore? Oh and regarding constipation I was reading that tio much Vit B can cause it which I didnt know so I am watching the levels I am taking for next few days to see if that helps. Just eaten meat and fish today so far … will see how I go!

(Ethan) #139

The names in English (America) for cuts are different from French. In France, I believe a ribeye is called entrecĂ´te

(Scott) #140

I like my steaks pretty rare, rarer than most people I cook for.
My favorite response I overheard at a restaurant for how would you like it cooked, “Knock the horns off and wipe it’s a$$.”

(Steve) #141

Thanks , my daughter are flaunt in French ( canadian ) will get them to translate

(Alex) #142

I’m sure the veterans have a much longer list of benefits they’ve noticed long term, but the immediate benefits I’ve noticed switching from keto/carnivoreish to strict carnivore are: reduction in my symptoms of depression, decrease in general and social anxiety, more stable energy levels (even compared to keto), i can now function on 7 hours of sleep and wake up before my alarm (unheard of for me), improved body composition (weight loss specifically around my midsection), and my cravings for comfort food are like a suggestion rather than a demand.

It sounds like a crazy list considering i’ve only been strict carnivore for a few weeks but honestly at around day 3 I just felt better and that feeling hasn’t gone away.

(With the exception of the day I ate a whole 2lb pork shoulder at like 10pm just before bed and was subsequently sick at 1am, but I’m blaming that one on my poor choices rather than the diet!)

I think the metaphor if the veil perfectly describes how I feel about it because before I’d tried it I definitely thought the hardcore zc peeps were very intense and unneccesarily strict, and then I tried it for myself and I get it now. I’m sure that not everyone will notice such a dramatic difference, but I think for some it will and it doesn’t hurt to eat ground beef or steak for a few months.