Carbaholic Learning Keto, IF, and Extended Fasting

(buzz) #1

Hi, Everyone,

This is my first post here, and I have lots of questions!

First, a little background:
I’m a 54 year old man; 6’ 3", 221 lbs
I am a lifelong carbohydrate addict, and it has finally caught up with me.

After feeling pretty thirsty all the time, and waking up to pee ~5 times/night over the previous couple weeks, my dear wife bought a blood glucose tester. I checked my fasting blood sugar the next morning. My number was 290.

I learned that that was a pretty high number. I was scared, but I didn’t want to go the dr., so I bought a copy of “The Rosedale Diet” and read and read and read a ton on the internet. I then read Dr. Fung’s “The Diabetes Code” and “The Complete guide to Fasting.”

On October 8th, I started a strict keto diet paired with 16-hour intermittent fasts every day. The first few days were tough. I had a headache on day two that would not abate for almost 24 hours. About three weeks in, I was feeling good, and I had lost 12 lbs.

Then on October 31st, I started my first 41-hour fast, and I started a new 41-hour fast every other day. On non-fasting days, I’m still doing 16-hour intermittent fasting, and of course, I’m still doing strict keto when I do eat.

On November 12th (five weeks on keto/IF), I started my first 112-hour fast, of which I’m almost 2/3 of the the way through as I write this. I plan to do a 112-hour fast once every month. Even though I’m only 65 hours into the 112 hours, I feel mostly good (more on that in a sec) and not at all hungry. So, I’m not taxing my willpower to keep this going, but I am curious about a couple “symptoms” I’m having, and I’m hoping to learn what you think about them:

1. Cold hands/feet. This kind of comes in waves but is mostly present. I am well hydrated; my urine is nearly clear, and I am eating a pinch of pink salt every hour. Should I just get used to the cold hands/feet, or is this a sign that I’m doing something wrong?
  2. I just checked my urine ketones. I’m at about 6 mmol/l. Honestly, I thought I’d max out on the ketone stick. Is it “normal” to just have moderate urine ketones when you haven’t ingested many non-fiber carbs in over five weeks–and haven’t eaten anything in 48 hours?

Finally, has anyone tried this Snake Juice recipe for fasting?
https://www.3010.fit/fasting/
When I first came across the site, I thought it was a pitch to sell a product, but the recipe for the “Snake Juice” is provided free on the site. It looks interesting, and I wonder if it would help with my cold hands/feet during extended fasts.

OK, I’ve got more questions, but I’ll save them for another post. Thank you for reading, and for your replies!

By the way, my fasting blood sugar is in normal range now: 88 this morning!

buzz

Big Blood Sugar Swings
(Susan) #2

I just use Water/Black tea/Black coffee/Green tea or herbal tea and Electrolytes when fasting.

A good electrolyte recipe here on the forum is:

It is better to try to have 0 calories when you are fasting is all =).

I am doing a Dr. Jason Fung IDM protocol atm as well; it is this:

IF%20Schedule%20-%20Copy

This is what he suggests for his T2D patients that are obese; so I am following this atm on my Accountability thread =). I am 55, female, 5 foot 4 inches, and I have lost 53 pounds so far on Keto since February and I have over 100 pounds to go still, so I am trying to mix it up a bit =).

(buzz) #3

Thank you, Susan!

I don’t see any potassium in the recipe you mentioned. Did you look at the Snake Juice recipe? It seems very complete, electrolyte-wise–and it’s calorie free. Again, I’m not affiliated with Snake Juice, but as far as I can tell, it’s a free resource. All ingredients can be sourced at Amazon/elsewhere.

I know that supplementing with potassium can be tricky, and the subject is pretty-well covered at the site.

(Susan) #4

Personally I don’t even make the Keto-Aide -but I recommend it a lot to new forum members. I take 3 Magnesium Citrate tablets a day, a Multivitamin/Mineral for Senior women, 4 Apple Cider Vinegar Tablets, and I eat 1-2 tablespoons of Pink Himalyan salt daily (directly from a tablespoon on my tongue and chug 32 ounces of water directly afterwards. I say 1-2 as my eating days I do it one tablespoon (once a day), and on my Fasting days I do one tablespoon (twice a day). I mention the Ketoaide instead to people; as most people don’t want to just swallow it directly as I do, but, I cannot stand drinking salty water.

I find swallowing the pills easier, and I can tolerate doing the salt once or twice a day without issues.

I wish you the best =).