Bulletproof Coffee or not?

(Robbi) #1

I make bulletproof coffee every morning, religiously; however, I am wondering if I have to use the bulletproof coffee or can I use any type of coffee?

(Jessica) #2

I have Folgers with heavy cream every morning. Or Folgers with coconut oil. Not “bulletproof”, but keto friendly.

Bulletproof Coffee (BPC) is just a specific combination of ingredients from Dave Asprey which is coffee, MCT Oil and grass-fed butter, but many people misuse the term and broaden it to include any coffee that is made with fat and essentially no carbs.

You can drink any coffee, including black with nothing in it all, but most people experiment with different ingredients.

There are a variety of threads on the forum about coffee.

(Robbi) #4

Great thank you because the bulletproof is expensive!

(Crow T. Robot) #5

You can really drink whatever you like as long as it doesn’t have carbs (or at least very few). Whey protein is very insulinogenic so that’s probably not a good idea either.

That said, if you are already well keto adapted, I personally would skip adding fat to your drink unless you feel you need the energy pick-me-up, or you don’t like it any other way. Some use it as a meal replacement. There’s certainly no rule that says you have to have it.

(Jo Lo) #6

Dave’s point about his BP coffee is that it is selected to be low on mold, which can be a big problem in standard commercial coffees, especially blends.
However, Dave is the only person I’ve ever heard say this is a big issue. I’m not sure if it’s all a big sales ploy but I wouldn’t be surprised. Create an (imaginary) crisis, then sell a solution. Brilliant!

(Keto in Katy) #7

I use whatever coffee my wife buys, nothing special. I don’t think the coffee matters so much, the coconut oil is key. I don’t add butter any more either, I use heavy cream instead.

Joe Rogan (who originally was a fan of Dave Asprey) exposed the mold thing as a scam a while back - vid here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwY4H3cNTH0

I’ve never used the Bulletproof brand coffee, in Europe we can get great freshly roasted coffee from many places.

I still call it Bulletproof Coffee / BPC, it’s just coffee/butter/MCT but the name has stuck.

In my Keto Coffee I just use regular instant. If I’m drinking it I’m really drinking to get some fat, I personally think obsessing about the coffee that goes into it is unnecessarily, er, obsessive

(Clare) #10

I like San Francisco Bay organic - I buy the beans at costco, keep them in the freezer and grind it fresh every morning. It certainly does the trick for me. You don’t need special blends imho - you just need good, fresh, properly roasted beans and some decent butter and coconut oil.

(Dave) #11

Not as obsessive as this guy - love this - https://youtu.be/m3-QB3xzc60

I saw it in the grocery and bought it…just wanted to try out the taste. It’s ok…but, doesn’t merit the very very high price tag. I’m not convinced of the mold issue being a problem either. I bought it once, and that was enough to satisfy my curiosity.

(Ross Daniel) #13

I don’t believe in the mold issue either. I’ve worked in several coffee plants, specifically on the roaster control systems. The way everything is handled and stored, I just don’t see mold being an issue. IF anything, and that is a big if, perhaps the green beans themselves. Then they basically get burnt, so I think that would take care of anything.

Mmmmmm. Roasted mold…sounds yummy…:coffee::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Ross Daniel) #15

Well, the green beans have a husk on them. During the roasting process, that comes off as chaff. So if there is mold ON the beans, it would then be burnt, and removed with the chaff.
:coffee:

(Sheri Knauer) #16

My favorite is Dunkin’ Donuts ( I hate the taste of Starbucks coffee). I buy the big old bag from Costco and brew it by the travel mug size in my Ninja coffee maker. Then I put in a TBSP of Kerry gold butter, 1 TBSP MCT oil, and 2 TBSP heavy cream. Blend it up with my immersion blender and enjoy! I look forward to my bpc every morning!

(Robbi) #17

I will have to try the heavy cream. I already put butter and MCT oil in!

(Sheri Knauer) #18

I bet you’re going to like it!

(Christopher Avery) #19

As a newbie, I thought “bullet” referred to the Magic Bullet blender! In the podcast @carl refers to his coffee with a tablespoon or two of coconut oil. Now I know “Bulletproof” is brand-related and more technical.

Well I was going to announce that I had my first Bulletproof Coffee this morning. Instead I’ll say that I made my homebrew Americano as usual and “whized” it with a tablespoon of coconut oil. Wonderful!

Now, what to call it??

(What The Fast?!) #20

keto coffee