Bulking tips

I’m looking for advice on putting on weight whilst following the keto diet. Has anyone had any real success with this? I’m really struggling with bulking up and am beginning to think that adding additional carbs may be the only option?! This is an option I’m really not keen on and would prefer to remain keto all the time. I’ve dabbled with the odd carb up day but haven’t had any great results, just a nightmare couple of days after it as I try to get my blood sugar back in check (I’m T1). Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

(Bunny) #2

Gaining weight or lifting?

Anyway this might help:

(Allan Misner) #3

There are three things you can do and remain keto:

1. Lift very heavy
  2. Up your protein (but monitor your ketones to make sure you don’t exceed your threshold).
  3. Try taking some creatine. It will up your energy for your lifting and you’ll add some water to your muscles.

(Jeff Gilbertson) #4

Watch videos by:

Body by Science author McGuff
Ted Naiman

(Katie) #5

Lift heavy and increase your caloric intake, keeping your ratios ketogenic.

Thanks for the responses. I’m already taking creatine and have been for a while. I’ve now also increased my protein and overall caloric intake and will see if this has the desired effect.

If you haven’t already, check out the KetoGains guys, they are all about keto bulking.

(William B Fenton) #8

I think as long as you got sufficient calories/exercise/rest you are going to bulk, but sometimes it does not seem that way. The reason being is the loss of Glycogen and its hygroscopic qualities.

Right now I am getting back into Ketosis but once I have been in the state effectively for 6 weeks (or longer) I will start a TKD (as a test)

My plan is

Before Intense lifting
T-30 : 2 Units Short Acting Insulin
T-15 : 30 Grams Dextrose / 30 Grams Whey Protein Isolate / BCAA

I am hoping that this timing will also allow me to capitalize on Non-Insulin Dependent Glucose Uptake (Google This)

But to be honest as long as you have the time under tension and all the variables I mentioned are taken into account even straight Keto you should be able to gain lean mass, its just the lack of Muscle Glycogen and therefore lack of water in the muscles that creates an illusion of no gains. Well that and weakness in certain movements