Beef cutlets with lemon

lemon
beef
cutlet
fried

A very popular italian recipe. This one uses a very inexpensive cut of beef (eye of round). You can substitute with veal cutlets, chicken breast, pork or turkey breast.

Note: this recipe has two advantages. Very fast preparation, cooks in a few minutes and it is a great way to take advantage of inexpensive, tough cuts of beef that would otherwise take many hours to cook.

Start with the eye of round steak

Pound it out to make it thin (this tenderizes the tough cut)

On each side, season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle a bit of dried thyme, and cover surface with freshly squeezed lemon juice. You can use other dried spices if you wish, like rosemary, sage, savory, etc

Let rest for about 15 minutes to marinate

Fry in tallow or lard

About one minute on each side

Remove cutlets from pan. Take pan off hot stove. Let grease cool down for a couple of minutes.

Drag each cutlet through the grease, mopping the brown bits on bottom of the pan (this is the tastiest part!)

Your cutlet will have a nice brown glaze

Delicious cutlet - tastes like fresh mozzarella with a balsamic glaze.

Beef Fat/Tallow question
Which meat has the most fat.? how to eat more fat than protein
Help! Considering giving up eggs and dairy
(matt ) #2

This looks amazing!

(Richard Morris) #3

Nice step by step recipe - I also love the idea of reducing the jus and then dredging the meat back through it.

(matt ) #4

I loved that part too. it makes so much sense when you see it. you get all that extra flavor back on the plate.

@matt and @richard

The other reason dredging the beef cutlets in the oily jus was to increase the fat content. I’m on a ZC eating protocol, and eye of round is extremely lean. I wanted a nice layer of flavourful oil coating the cutlets to increase %fat intake.

I always do this. I made a really tasty jus for some duck breast the other day simply by adding a little balsamic vinegar to the meat juices in the pan.