Help! Considering giving up eggs and dairy

(Georgette) #1

I’m kind of thinking that I need to give up eggs and dairy to see if it will help me lose. I’m stuck in a stall and am not sure how to eat keto without them. Especially when I’m on a budget. They’re inexpensive foods and it makes life easy for me. I know cruciferous vegetables bother me.

(Genevieve Biggs) #2

How many veggies are you eating on average?

Head on over to the “recipes” section of this forum, and you will find a variety of ideas of no egg/dairy inexpensive meals.

Yes, proteins (like beef, pork, fish…) can be expensive. But, you can find inexpensive varieties/cuts as well. Here is an example of using a cheap beef cut called eye of round steak, and a recipe that is quick and easy to prepare, delivering a very delicious outcome.

And here is another pretty inexpensive recipe, using ground pork, with great tasting results:

Hope this helps!

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

I shop for sales. I purchase whatever meat is on sale and add fat. I also eat predominantly meat so, by and large, I consume less. I find I spend way less doing zero carb, or close to it, than buying a variety of foods.

Using the eye of round recipe @Fiorella posted, here currently eye of round is on sale for 2.99/pound. I could easily make 3-4 steaks out of that. Even if you eat 2x what I do, that’s still 1.50 a serving - or heck, 3/meal! 3/meal for one person is cheaper than fast food. Veg is cheap; lots of low carb veg that isn’t cruciferous.

(Georgette) #5

Not a lot. Most mess with my stomach. Cruciferous vegetables bloat my gut. I eat salads now and again, but that’s it.

You know what, @Donna, you got me thinking about something now. I’m considering going back to the recipes I posted and add an estimated dollar value. The recipes are pretty darn cheapo, and it would help prove the point you are making. Ain’t no way a mcdonalds meal could compete with it. For example, last night I made a zero carb seafood medley (I paid $5 for the package of frozen seafood), and I ate half. Add maybe 50 cents for seasonings and I spent no more than $3. Seriously…who can beat that?

(Georgette) #7

I hate turnips, parsnips, radishes, squash and zucchini. Green beans are it.

(Georgette) #8

I’m not sure what do. I thought my husband going keto would make this easier, but it hasn’t. I’m more stressed between what he will eat versus what I can eat. I’m almost ready to give up.

(Crow T. Robot) #9

You are probably not really in a stall unless you have gone several weeks without losing. I really don’t know why eggs would be a problem, so keep eating those. Milk or excessive amounts of cheese might do it, so you can certainly think about cutting back there.

(Jason Fletcher) #10

How long have you been keto and what is your rate of weight lose what is your goal. You may want to log your food for a couple of weeks to evaluate your macros. Do you exercise? How do you feel?

(Georgette) #11

Been keto since August. I’ve lost 30 pounds total with about 90-100 more to go. I do DDP Yoga and light cardio for exercise. I feel alright for the most part. I also have fibromyalgia and started this for pain management.

(Georgette) #12

I don’t drink milk. I do eat cheese. I’ve been stuck between 243-241 pounds for 3 weeks. Nothing is working.

@georgettestmp7 I’ve heard Dr Phinney, Dr Adam Nally, Jimmy Moore and Dr Volk even the 2Ketodudes talk about changes in the body where weight is not lost but inches are lost around the body. Don’t focus on the weight, in ketotalk (http://ketotalk.com/archive/) listen to #39 & #35 may help.

I hope you get through this bump.

(Guardian of the bacon) #14

What is your plan B that will be an improvement? Will just calling it quits and going back to SAD make it all better? Your health is worth fighting for. We all have had to take the time and energy to tweak this WOE to fit our own metabolism and lifestyle. The end results are so worth it. Your worth it! Keep fighting.

(Georgette) #15

I did not mention I’m in a weightloss challenge. This is stressing me out. I’ve only got one pair of pants that seemed bigger to me yesterday, that’s really it.

(Marc) #16

I struggle with dairy too. I’ve given up all dairy (cream, cheese, butter) because it raises my weight. I’ve heard that it also raises the blood glucose level of some people. I still eat egg yolks. I don’t eat the whites because of the protein.

(Crow T. Robot) #17

It’s hard to believe but 3 weeks is not long enough to qualify for a stall that means something isn’t working. Don’t panic; trust the process.

Take a look at your food and make sure you aren’t getting “secret” carbs somewhere, and make sure you aren’t overdoing cheese (2-3 oz per day at most), but don’t worry.

(Ross Daniel) #18

Have you tried IF? You’ve been at this long enough most likely that you body may need a change to get it confused and start losing again and intermittent fasting may just be the ticket. I would try that before I started removing foods. Perhaps a 16/8 or a 20/4 a few days a week as a start. I think it is worth a shot if you haven’t tried it.

I know 3 weeks is a long time to wait, and I was frustrated when I had to wait 1 week for a loss, let alone 3. Just hang in there! KCKO

(Georgette) #19

I do 16/8, 20/4 and full day fasts. I may try not fasting so much and see if that helps me out.

(Georgette) #20

My husband told me I’m losing inches like crazy. That could be it.