Beef Fat/Tallow question

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

Just roasted a batch of beef soup bones for bone broth. Got around a cup of beef fat in the pan, and saved it for cooking, etc.

I didn’t filter it, but most of the bits sank to the bottom. Are there any downsides to not filtering the fat before storing it? Will that affect how long it keeps in the fridge?

(Jan) #2

Would also like to learn more about this. I end up using my excess rendered fat to make suet cakes for my chickens, just 'cause I don’t know how to store it, or really how best to use it.

Don’t worry if it is not filtered. If you store it in the fridge, it lasts months without issues. When you get to the bottom of the jar, be mindful of any exposed “bits” or “moisture”. This will start to rot if in contact with air. You can either pour a bit of olive oil or more tallow to cover exposed bits, or see if you can move things around in the jar, so that everything is coated/submerged in fat.

Hope this helps.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

Thanks, @Fiorella. Definitely helpful. I had a feeling that it would keep fine, but just wanted to be sure.

I’ll be interested to see how this differs from bacon grease for cooking.

Store in fridge if you are concerned.

Next time you fry, sauté, roast, make casseroles, …etc…use tallow instead of butter, coconut oil, bacon grease, etc.

By the way…here’s a recipe I recommend you use tallow for the frying process. Good recipe as virgin voyage into tallow cooking. :yum:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/beef-cutlets-with-lemon/5420

I’m sure it won’t hurt to have some nice bits in there but If you use it for baking it might add some stank to something that you want sweet.

What I do is pour the extra fat while liquid into a tall, narrow bottom container (plastic or metal pint glass) and put it in the freezer. Once it’s all hard i’ll run some water over the container to get it out. Once out, I cut off the extra bits that fell to the bottom. I then treat them the same as broth; freeze in ice cube tray, then transfer to freezer bag and freeze.