August-Palooza!

(Laurie) #281

Thanks for the clarification!

here is a small post from Charles Washington, and geez, maybe going on 20 years now? or 15? with eating meat only. I have to look that up LOL

but it is very simple. always keep it simple but his post just tells it like it is when it is about zero carb plan.

Following is a post from Charles Washington on 3/23/15:

The key to all these things is having the right mindset. Many of you come looking for “rules” and you want to explore legalities with the zc plan. This is how you approach it: The bedrock is meat and water. Every meal should be about meat and water. Seasonings, condiments, dairy, coffee and even alcohol are all viewed in the context of meat.

If you eat cheese, I’m assuming you’re eating it on a burger. If you eat cheese by itself? Not so much.

If you drink alcohol, I assume you just had a steak. If you drink coffee in the morning, I assume you’re having bacon and eggs first.

The foundation of every meal is meat and water. It’s like Christianity’s Lord’s prayer. It is an outline but if you stick to just those words, you will do just fine, I’m told. Any good prayer will have the elements within it, even if it’s longer.

Same here. Any good ZC (Zero Carb) meal will have meat and water. If you are eating a meal that does not contain meat and water, you are wrong.

If coffee is your breakfast, you are wrong. If cheese is your lunch, you are wrong. If alcohol is your sole dinner, you are wrong. Does that make sense?

It’s better to keep it simple and have meat and water. If you want to get fancy and add something else, add it within this framework. If you’re new? Stick to basics. In fact, if you’re old at ZC, stick to basics. It’s just easier that way.

(Edith) #283

Ooh, I like his way of describing carnivore.

(Liz) #284

Thanks for the welcome, amazing how just 4 days in to carnivore cravings are zapped. Today was butter coffee, bacon and eggs…twice…because I love em and we can! Not sure about butter coffee yet, may just go back to black and eat some cold salted goodness on the side.
Some great inspiration from you all here, looking forward to catching up and then climbing on board September.

(Liz) #285

Sounds like a great way of enjoying your food and the benefits of it, good to know how it is suiting you…can’t wait to see if I am able to say I feel energised, my long absence from this woe and all the carbs I inhaled has left me feeling anything but …hopefully this us the last time I need to learn the lesson :smirk:

Got me some gut troubles this morning and I feel ICKY. Icky, icky, icky.

yesterday was

1/2 lb cheeseburger patty and I put on too much cheese. I ate super late in my day and when I got home I was ravenous with NO defrosted steaks…what was I thinking so I got a monster burger and loaded up the cheese…UGH

6 slices bacon

Then hubby wanted his BBQ shack. I got 1/2 lb. plain smoked brisket.
It was ok, little bit too much rub taste ya know but not bad.

Last night I got icky and am still icky this morning. Dairy and I think super fatty brisket with that rub on it probably are the culprits.

And this is me getting too into the ‘crap food area on zc and walking a bit more away from just friggin’ plain old steaks I cook.

Ya’ll know what my Sept challenge is gonna be. Done with all processed, or bought for me food for the month. Tighten ship. Control my own intake and cut severely back on cheese. Without my shrimp and other seafood I am not eating it and using stuff like my taylor ham and bacon and less than great meat into my day and I am taking that control back over :sunny:

So today I got beef tenderloin steaks. Both meals. When I want it cause right now the gut is so off that I will watch me and just eat as I need.

Hitting store later and buying…gosh forbid…full priced shrimp and crab and scallops…if no sale I can’t wait. I require my food for me and a sale can’t screw me up LOL

If we want zero carb plan in our life, we do just that. We hunker down and eat exactly as we need at all times. My busier type days and not eating when I need and rushing down any food I can get and ‘buying’ food like this brisket is off my list and I put all focus back on me for great eating my way, that suits me best and makes me feel best.

Let’s rock out ZC…I know this little incident put me back on track and I will only eat for me at all times, the best I function on and get back my great guts and leave today by the wayside!!

(Liz) #288

Hope you feel better soon Fangs :crossed_fingers::+1:

Not eaten too much today as really not hungry, stuck to scrambled eggs with loads of butter to keep up the calories and fats. Have some steak and bacon waiting for me when I get hungry later. Need to watch the hunger, zc seems to be killing it to the extent where I could easily fast without issues…on its own not an issue but needs to be when planned so I think butter is my best friend…again…lol

Not necessarily, what’s wrong with coffee alone? :smiley: Yeah I try to give it up (with little success) but coffee is a drink (and much more), not a meal (but I add calories for my mealtime coffee as I tend to undereat again). It sounds a good idea to drink coffee only between mid-afternoon and evening/night, I just can’t do it sigh. I will try harder. I don’t like my current coffee anyway and I shouldn’t waste money on such a needless thing, I could buy sausage with that money :smiley: About a week more and the pig farm opens again, its sausage is the best, very dense flavor.

I fried fish today, a lot! I won’t play with a smaller amount again. Yay! Even Tofu (my silly calico cat) was happy and Alvaro found it a great idea too. I just need some great sauce as hake fish isn’t tasty enough. The cheesy egg coat is nice but I need more variety. I will try some mustard/yolk thing next time. And I have lots of spice I never use… I need tricks for lean, boring fish.

Is it normal that I love boiled eggs now? I never loved it except sometimes when I was hungry and the eggs were fresh and warm and not too hard… It was useful now and then but I got bored of it as quickly as of beef… And now I eat it for every meal. Not many but often. It makes my life easier so I embrace this phase.

This video from 2016 popped up in my YouTube feed.

It was really good and topical as I find that carnivore helps me OMAD.

I checked the forums and someone had spotted it straight away 4 years ago.

I watched it with a carnivore/ zc mindset.

It’s here as a share.

Bacon and eggs this morning with a home brewed coffee.

Last night was different as I moved away from beef to eat about 800g of baked chicken wings. Not sure of the nett meat weight. But I enjoyed the eating with my hands. There were a pile of bones. Felt very satisfied afterwards.

Still some wings left for today and I had also cooked two fat beef sausages last night which I couldn’t eat due to the surprising satiety from the wings.

I read in another thread about how a keto practitioner had been controlling their cravings by eating Keto foods every 2 hours during their eating day. I found that idea fascinating because on carnivore I can get very strong cravings for sweet foods after a big carnivore feed.

That’s where having chicken wings broken down to ‘niblets’ might help? I tried it the other day and 2 or 3 wings switched off the cravings.

In terms of sweetness craving after a big beef meal, I wonder if it may be due to methionine amino acid overload and rebalancing it with the sweet amino acid glycine might abrogate the on switch? Glycine rich = pork skin, chicken skin, gelatin (bone broth).

There are so many fun self experiments to do in carnivory.

Interesting. I have exactly zero desire towards sweets on carnivore. Or more like slightly negative, no way I eat eat it without a very serious reason like I am hungry and that’s the only food I somehow able to stomach as the others are even worse…
BUT I never did very many carnivore days in row, maybe it would change? But when I start to eat more carbs, my desire towards sweets stays very low. As long as I have something else than eggs in a substantial amount, I don’t want them. It’s a very big change for me, I can’t tell if it’s a benefit or a disadvantage (I enjoyed my sweets :frowning: it’s so surreal not enjoying chocolate anymore) but I go with the first :wink: It was a tiny bit tiresome to eat sweets at the end of every meal (but at least every day) and I did that on low-carb and my original keto. I like being simpler than that. But I want to enjoy sweets now and then I guess… But as long as I enjoy my meals and I have variety, I will handle whatever happens. And I know for a fact I still enjoy my ice cream (and I totally forgot to add chocolate on top last time… I never did that before) and that is useful when I run out of proper meat. So I am good.

I lost my IF again. I am too easily satiated to be able to do it. My OMAD days on ZornFast were borderline force-feeding and low-calorie and I used all the carby food I just could as they typically significantly raise my calories. The similar (eating a decent dinner, not even force, I just was satiated but had leftover and I rarely leave any food) on a carni day resulted in belly ache and I never was prone to that. I am actually fine with TMAD, it’s my default but I can’t always eat enough in 2 meals either now, without tricks, I mean. So my midnight meals came back and that’s no good. I will figure out what to do, I have ways to eat more, it’s me, after all. It’s just new to me now. But interesting :slight_smile:

yes this can sure happen to us and we must remember to eat for sure, a longer term fasting situation when we head into zc is not a good idea only cause we require the food to heal and change us and we have to eat to do that LOL Many later down the line find we do IF anyway ya know, a natural eating pattern with just long delays inbetween eating times but you are smart to know you need to not go too long without some food in ya. Just nibble smaller things, you will do ok and you know it will flip, that appetite will come raging back probably :slight_smile:

it is on zero carb plan. Coffee and then jacking it up like using hwc can take your appetite away a bit. ZC is all about eating your food, liquids come second, so what that means is you should eat your real food breakfast first and then have coffee. Your body heals on the food, the coffee is still a slight toxin with caffeine etc and plant based so it really is not a high priority actually on zc…even though people would kill for their coffee :wink: :sunny: ZC food comes first at all times on this plan.

I love the name of your cat!!

Sure, you eat them and love them! I think so many of us go thru food phases too ya know. I ate so many eggs when I started zc. Now I can’t barely eat any. Just got so tired of them and for me they don’t have ‘holding power’ over eating dense heavy meats. But yea when I loved them I ate them up, and alot of them :slight_smile:

More like the opposite for me but I am aware I am an oddball at that.

But I need liquid even in the morning… I definitely won’t eat in the morning.
But it doesn’t really matter as I gave up coffee and cream just now :smiley: Not ideal, I feel it but it’s extremely subtle while my coffee addiction is extremely strong under all circumstances. Fortunately, I almost run out of both coffee and cream and this coffee is hard to drink without cream if I use the usual amount and not almost nothing, I have super weak coffees already. Had. It will be so unusual without coffee and even cocoa (I used that as a very good substitution in the past around my mealtimes). But I surely will get used to it soon.

It’s a silly name, tofu is a tasteless useless thing but well, she is a silly one. Very funny, we love her. She’s a lovely little calico among the boring (but still pretty) brown tabbies :slight_smile:

Eggs are fine, sure but I never liked boiled eggs very much and when I focused on them too much for a while, I could even dislike eggs in general for a week! It happened just months ago. And now I don’t seem to get bored of them at all. I mostly eat them pickled and that’s a very different dish, I love vinegar, the amount is not so big but still, the difference is very apparent. Oh well, I don’t complain, it just was curious as it is an abrupt change. But I like eggs more since I dropped vegetables, it just wasn’t true for boiled eggs until now. But it’s useful, the easiest and most versatile egg dish I know.

I doubt I will get tired of eggs, I eat many eggs per day since a decade and I just like them more and more… :smiley: But I welcome some less eggy times now and then. I can’t test how effective, substantial eggs are as almost anything satiates me now but they are good enough, a more effective food would keep me in satiated starving until my body would catch up and restore my hunger…

thing is on carnivore you can’t let yourself get too hungry cause when you do you need to feast and while you eat big and wonderful, your body hasn’t signaled it is done eating ya know, so your mind is like, now I need something else. Obviously key is wait til all that carnivore goodness hits your body with a bit of time and we feel full and satisfied and those cravings stop. OMAD is great IF IT IS the pattern you naturally fall into with time on plan for zero carb. No one should just start zc and say I am going to do only OMAD. Most newbies fail with this old dieting baggage, and I call it old diet baggage because OMAD can be a forced thing and zc eating is never being about forced. ZC we eat when we need food and never get too hungry. Key. Even if not hungry at some point we know how long we went without food, and we should eat something. Even if small. Just eat! As our bodies heal we find our natural eating pattern. I went from eating 6 times a day, to 2, then to OMAD, then back to 3-4 times a day and now after all these years I am a firm 2 meals per day person. A natural eating pattern for each of us personally falls into play and we just let that happen.

I don’t know about any of that stuff written above LOL but with zc one is gonna crave as a more newbie. And then ya got the old mindset of ‘I want dessert’ after our meal types and then we have food around us at all times, anything we want mostly so we know we have access and most of us coming this way are sugar addicts anyway, so yea our minds say…hey how about something sweet :wink: With time on zc plan the longer one stays on plan the thoughts of sugar diminish greatly. I never think something sweet after eating cause I am now programmed that sugar is out of my life period and physical body but my old thoughts of ‘now I want…’ just don’t come into play anymore as much for me. So I think where in our zc journey the darn cravings are still gonna hit many newer people, get longer term and that just goes out the window. But yea who doesn’t crave at times cause the food is available, we ate tons of it before, we default to old thinking and yes we desire and all that will happen but in the end, do we act on it? With zc you really are full ya know, so not acting on it is way easier than if one just eats something not satisfying and less filling and then has more tummy room to say I really can eat that now. On zc after my meals I just can’t eat anything more so that was a cravings control for me also.

And yes, as we experiment on carnivore ‘a bit’ we don’t wanna tweak too much. More ya tweak around with hunger and eating less and all that we set ourselves up more to fail. Our natural time on plan will set us up into OMAD, or 2 times a day meals, or whatever…but we let the plan just take us there and all longer term zc people are either omad or 2 per day. Longer term zc people do not eat more than that. We can’t. But newbies, oh yes they need to eat as many times a day as needed at all times and even if not that hungry, if they went longer without food they should eat a little something, and when they do, sometimes they eat more than they thought they would cause the body wants that food for healing and repair.

Natural steps on zc. Thing is we have to get out of our own way and let that natural progression work for us at all times. Once we do that and repair the body more, our true natural instinctual eating patterns come out and for zc people that does fall into omad or 2 times per day for us. So to me that is a very natural eating style. of course between omad and 2 times per day many factors fall into play from our personal lives also. One might eat 1 gigantic 3 lbs of meat at one time, I prefer to eat 1lb. at a time and settle in that 2/2.5 lbs of meat per day type area. And yes there are days I eat way less than that and days I do hit my 2.5 lbs per day. I just eat as my body asks.

oh I love them cause I had a calico and I loved that cat, such pretty markings. We always had cats around the barns. I always owned like 3-4 and then we ended up feeding alot of cats around the area too but heck, they probably were just neighbor cats using our barn for their fun ya know.

Oh what I mean about coffee. It is more about new people starting zero carb. In that yes, many zc people will just drink coffee after they have been on plan for a longer time cause they do not want to eat upon waking…that part about coffee is more for a newbie starting into zero carb, saying that coffee can takes one appetite away as we all know for some, and it is super important that a newer person, if hungry, should eat first before that coffee. Don’t let coffee be the meal if one is hungry ya know. But longer term zc people, breakfast is like the meal no one eats anymore…but newbies sometimes require it while healing and adapting. So yea I get you on your not eating in the morning and relying on your coffee…so there is some reasons for newbies to eat food first, coffee later, and never let liquid steal your hunger or rely on coffee as a meal ya know. So I hope I clarified that a bit. I know in the end all zc people longer on plan find their patterns, and eating breakfast is almost something none of us zc long term people do but for a newbie, yea they need food, not coffee to rely on.

I think it was the brisket that got me LOL I don’t know but guts are totally clear and fine and I am in full pizz and vinegar mode again. Alot more cheese than normal paired with that brisket? Who knows…I don’t care, I am fine and moving on!!

WOW August is just about gone.

Sept will be rolling in and all of us who want a carnivore challenge to stay on plan and get the best results from this life will join in and go for it :sunny: Our little zc group is chugging along nicely, you guys are all so nice too!!

today I got 1 lb ribeye steak for meal 1

second meal is 2 smaller beef tenderloin steaks
1/2 lb. of shrimp

Beef is my key in life now. I ran the gambit from eating trillions of eggs, to mountains of bacon, to wheelbarrows full of chicken wings, to buckets of chicken thighs, tons of burger, to monster sized bone piles of ribs and in the end, beef is king for me. My savior. I rely on it like there is no tomorrow on plan for me without my beef. Yes I had a few small bouts with ‘if I eat another ribeye I am gonna die’ moments but not many and not for long LOL

So hit sales, stash meat/seafood/fish in the freezer cause Sept is coming and we need to eat well and thrive!

Her coloring is very pretty :slight_smile: I especially love that one eye is in the white/red tabby part and the other in the brown tabby part so she is quite different around her eyes, I fail at English now so here’s a photo:

tofueyes

Oh if I am hungry, I eat, that’s basic. Coffee never could get away my hunger anyway but hunger is a sign from my body that I should eat, a lot of fat and protein at that if it’s a proper hunger, I function this way.
I always hated breakfast with a passion, it was like carbs, just messed things up, made me hungry, potentially miserable and caused serious overeating… I never will be someone who eats breakfast for sure. I hate forced meals too.
Coffee is just a drink that I drink any time while I am awake (serious addiction. a few years ago I almost never drank it in the morning and not even at night). Well, I stopped, let’s see how many days I will last :slight_smile: I must keep coffee at home as it’s a vital part in our chocolate and chocolate is an every day item for Alvaro, very much needed. He has a special relationship with sweets, he needs them for calories, convenience or something. He probably likes them too but he considers them simply food, the normal food isn’t enough and it’s way too much work to make more of that, we already spend hours in the kitchen. And variety, we like that during our meals but it’s partially just habit due to circumstances, we rarely can eat one dish per meal for various reasons (his breakfasts are exceptions, they are eaten at work and must be simple and the joy factor is a tad less important, peace and time are luxuries).
I got carried away, sorry. But well, circumstances matter. I would have a somewhat different woe if I lived alone. No one would put potatoes into the soups or bring home interesting carby items (mostly fruits)… But I get better at not getting tempted at those times. Slowly. Oh in the beginning of low-carb even the always-present rice was tempting and I never even liked rice (like, ever. I never ate it when Mom made rice without converting it into a dessert, the amount of salt couldn’t stop me) and it’s almost tasteless… I came a long way. But low-carb was super easy since day 1, 80g net carbs is plenty except when I wanted vegetable rich days… But I still could squeeze my vegetables into 80g quite easily. 40g was trickier as all of my vegetable dishes were suddenly out… Who knew I won’t even need them at one point? And I just stopped wanting them too. Weird.

and another thing on cravings guys and we all know this…if you are the type that a taste of sugar sends ya reeling, whether it be physical addiction cravings or just a mental darn mind game of life being unfair cause ya want the sweet crap to eat, and when ya get it ya eat the hound out of it…all these things come into play on ZC for a new person. ZC doesn’t banish all the crap surrounding ‘cravings’ and emotions and transitions and more like that, those we work on with the clarity of thinking we achieve.

and we have to stay on plan. If you are a person who can’t do sweet truly and need zc then one can’t jump in and out of sugar land. We know the end story there, you never get rid of the addiction and just play the game and ‘partial’ zc ain’t gonna give you zc results.

So we all gotta find where we fall in line with what eating lifestyle we wanna lead and can we lead it? Can it be long term? Again these will be very personal on how we react to food, what we need truly from our eating plan and we all know what we have to do for each of us, but the key is to do it and learn thru it and find ‘our personal sweet spot’…all we can work on with ourselves :wink:

So cravings are a real deal to handle on any eating plan and thing is in the bitter end we have to know ourselves and be truthful what type of person we are…can we have some sweets and do ok? or are we one who has to abstain or the sh** hits the fan? How do we want to eat thru life and what will it take for us personally…all this comes into play with any eating plan for sure but only thing about zero carb is IF ONE requires this plan and wants it, you can’t play the carb plant/sugar game. They just don’t go together.

yea we sure can change ourselves and what we thought would never happen, can just fall into our laps as we do watch our eating and get some good darn change results.

AHHHH, Tofu is adorable!!! Great pic of a very cute kitty!!

(Laurie) #300

Beautiful kitty!