August-Palooza!

I send this and really will be scarce sigh

Well I can’t make them happen as I can’t get meat and can’t afford much meat anyway. With huge determination I could do it but I can’t afford sacrifices, my life is bad enough as it is. But it doesn’t matter what am I willing to try, it’s not realistic at all.
But I am patient and wait a few months more.
I do all the conscious effect I can, things bothered me so it’s at full power now. I just can’t have more than one proper big meaty dish per week until the beef farm is back, it’s totally impossible even after I use “desperate measures”. I can’t do any more, there are no ways at all. I am very pleased with my efforts as I did everything I could, pretty much time, money and effort is invested in getting all the meat we eat, we had to accept more garbage that is normal for us, some “moral sacrifices”, it’s fine but it still appears on the negative side. And I have my limits regarding meat eating anyway even if I rarely feel it with my actual circumstances.

I can do one thing, theoretically, eating more (lean, not tasty) fish, I try to force myself but I am as crappy at that as usual. I need time. But I will eat fish on Friday, it’s good because without it I would have no meat dish this week at all as I can’t get meat from anywhere. Smoked pork doesn’t count but matter A LOT, it’s all my meat, after all (but I can’t get that either, I just have enough right now). And the stupid fish. But this smoked pork isn’t that good in average, I want the pig farm back too.

The potato dish… I don’t miss potatoes ever, they were my huge favs but it’s in the past. But you know, it’s so comfortable when someone makes a very substantial dish and I don’t need to make several little ones myself… :slight_smile: My food is simple but when I don’t have proper meat anyway and no way I could do carni for 3 days, it’s too tempting to eat something available and good… Especially when our little meat is in it. Once I stubbornly did my weird carnivore day and watched as Alvaro ate fish curry while I had to eat only eggs and not much else. Zero meat for me that very extreme day, I had no fish either, all of them was in the dish. It was so weird but it probably never will happen again, I will have at least my own fish. But I won’t be shy with the somewhat carbier meat dishes, that’s sure. I try to persuade Alvaro not to put meat into curry or other such things (who am I kidding, no way I let him :slight_smile: trying to take away a Fire-Dragon/Lion’s meat? the sweet vegetable-lover Earth-Goat/Bull has no chance! :slight_smile: his curry isn’t for my liking anymore. did I tell he used about 3.5 kg cucchini and some other vegetables for about 60dkg fish? we always made vegetarian curry until this year but still) but goulash is awesome, it will happen sometimes. But we usually make “proper” meat dishes (I am fine with onions and garlic if the dish requires it in my eyes) and everyone eats it with whatever they want.

I am back to carni right now but it’s very fresh. I had a nice late carni meal, I barely ate today and just because I ate a ton yesterday, I don’t handle that well. It means I was borderline hungry and I am not good at accepting that. Carni is cool with eating whenever as I need a lot of time to eat enough anyway. But I want my small eating window back, it’s so natural and convenient to me. We will see.

I was lucky with fruits too as a tiny bit is enough :slight_smile: I always ate (frozen) banana on keto whenever I fancied it and never had to hold back, the same with (frozen) raspberries, my ideal keto fruit. Both were barely any carbs but especially the latter. I don’t do “1/2 cups of berries”, I do “3 raspberries”. Sometimes 6 :smiley: Vegetables were the problem but no more. And fruit is mere luxury now, not necessity as before. Fruit seasons are where I am quite powerless and enjoy the hell out of them. Maybe it will change later. But my fruit garden is extremely important for me and I doubt it will ever change. It doesn’t mean I must eat much of my own fruit, I don’t do it since ages but they are my precious things and I taste them… and the rest hopefully will continue to change. I only have this garden since 8 years, I only do low-carb since a bit more… I pretty much resisted blackberries this year! It’s about my 12th favorite fruit in this garden but I love my fruits with a passion so it’s something… :smiley: These my precious babies, I give up the other carbs first. It will take a long time. But as long as I feel right, I actually don’t care.
By the way, I won’t eat iceberg salad anymore. It was among the very few green leaves I was willing to eat in my vegetable-lover times but it’s inedible now. Not a big win, I barely ate some per year but still a win… And I am sure I won’t force some other items either, saving carbs and frustration. So even without enough meat, there is progress.
But I am not sure what I actually want in the future. My body will decide, probably.

Familiar… Carbs make me hungry and I ate huge amounts of vegetable dishes all the time… It’s soooo good I am fine without most vegetables now.
It’s not about plants, it’s about carbs in my case for sure but as we now, plants are typically carby. But gluten satiates me extremely well. I just shouldn’t eat the carby part :slight_smile:

so there with ya KP in that it will drive ya insane the stuff people do believe and more but in the end, just let it go is best :slight_smile: I do that now cause like you I cant take that drama anymore. I got a life to lead, not to debate bs stuff out there, too time consuming LOL

Sorry on your back!! Sounds bad but be sure to ice it down when ya can and hope you go to bed and wake up alot better!!

yea this is where you have to get tricky a bit and make things work any and all ways ya can best for you :sunny: That is all we can do.

yes all you can do is learn thru it. One thing you must face tho is full truth that you have the total power over what you eat and if truly zc is the way you want to roll, this is the dig down deep and pull up all your inner strength and say NO to all those cravings/social situations/and more that will always come into play. All any of us can do when we want to achieve goals, no matter what that goal is…but of course we all walk that path of going off plan early on as we try to change, and it is a big darn change :wink: but always remember that, if ya want it, you have to act for it ya know. Something I had to tell me many many times.

It really isn’t a carnivore fail ya know, it is a carnivore trial and error learning to make monster changes in our old habits/social life/ and more so you are ok…you just rock on and grab onto zc and eat super well at all times. Even if someone says no meals to be served, you eat beforehand til your belly is full and ya can’t eat anything more. That saved me many times and helped me thru transition times. Rock on!

HI and never too late :hugs:
and you grabbed onto zero carb and lost 15 lbs of gain in 6 weeks…well hot darn that is a very good accomplishment…the body sure does want to drop that bloat and more doesn’t it? bodies don’t like carbs LOL

Sounds like you got a very good grasp of what you are doing and got a new focus and that is wonderful…and know what you need, like simple easy delish food and like you said, be sure to eat very well. even if not hungry we do have to watch how low our appetite becomes cause once we hit very low for a bit we can just go wild wanting food and our hunger ramps and our resolve goes down…so be sure to eat as good as you can at all times! Sounds like things will go well and in a few days we start our Sept. challenge and you join in and chat away.

(Laurie) #264

Another trial and error day. Had a no-no at the Costco snack bar and am regretting it. I’m grateful to my body for telling me that certain foods just aren’t worth it.

But I did buy lots of easy-to-prepare meats. Organic ground beef for making patties, frozen wild salmon burgers, and the following precooked meats: frozen sausage patties (0 carbs, no hormones or antibiotics); pulled pork (supposedly 0 carbs per serving); chicken breast; and sliced roast beef.

Also, sliced Havarti cheese for my daily omelet. I get eggs from a local farmer. I could also get grass-fed beef locally, but it’s a hassle for various reasons.

(Keto Koala 🐨) #265

Ok I am finally back. For real this time…I was out of ketosis for ages cos of stupid…Vodka…hospital…Ulcer…( Sighs :roll_eyes:)…WHAT a year.:crazy_face:. I miss good keto and Carni foods…I have been avoiding the damn forum…Cos I was eating crap…And I went broke and are lots of potatoes.:roll_eyes:. I have money tomorrow and will buy bacon… Burger patties…Good cheeses ect. Eggs are good…i have them…But seriously, it’s Tom r
Time to treat my poor body like a temple. I LOVE Hungarian salami…and it sucks cos I’m not allowed with this ulcer…i am really hoping it goes away soon.:heart:. Apparently my grandpa thinks that meat is bad for an ulcer…but we are all different… he thinks i should eat cucumber…well it is low carb… and good for things and I do like it… but I am trying to go back to Carni…I will get there…i have been there.:wink:. Power of the mind…Its even a book…( The power of now). I must read…:roll_eyes:…AGAIN!!! It’s all about how the mind is very powerful and the soul…and the human ego gets in the way and tries to f#ck us.:scream:. It is true…My ego f#cked me with vodka…By the way…This is horrendous…when I was drinking vodka everyday…i scratched my skin in the bath…i do that to clean…i smelt my nails…and they smelt like vodka…like turps…:pensive::scream::roll_eyes:…YUCK!!! And that was a wakeup call. NEVER in my LIFE…has that ever happened…I literally had booze seeping out of my skin.:sleepy:. Alcoholism is very very scary. And I don’t ever want a part of it ever again…Plus it stopped my keto…it set me back so much.:heart:. But now I am ready to start low carb…then no carb …Eggs are my friends…So it’s time to hang out a lot with humpty dumpty and make sure we don’t fall off the wall…and have a big fall…:scream::joy_cat:. I don’t want humpty to fall of the wall…cos I wanna eat him.:joy_cat:. :egg:. Poor Humpty :roll_eyes:

I can’t imagine what ego has to do with it…

Mine has about nothing to do with my eating and drinking… But it’s not just my mind (and soul? I never thought it has so much to do with my woe but everything is connected), my body is the secret boss, basically :slight_smile: It knows what is good for it, it has power to cause problems for me… I still could force it into things but I am a hedonist and respect my body so no, I don’t do that often.

Yes, it’s very helpful :smiley: I don’t resist temptation (I would need some serious condition or a few rebirth to change my personality, it’s such a deep thing) and I love various things so if my body would be even more indulgent, my eating would be worse. If something is bad for me, the temptation typically turns off and that’s it. It must be horrible to desire really bad things all the time and I am sure many people do that.

Today I try to make a dent of my pork skin again… I don’t know why but sometimes I find a very good recipe for something originally meh but I am reluctant to use it because the ingredient is meh. I have this with my hake fish (defrosting, we will have lots of fish tomorrow! I must plan if I don’t want to fall off the wagon I am barely on again, today I picked 24 pears, I don’t need any more hardships. I don’t desire fruits, I would be doomed then but they are there and mine and juicy and tasty… and I ate a ton of them lately without any problems so I should be fine for a while. and if I am already on my 3rd carni day, I have momentum. my plan B is keto now, of course, without vegetables and peanuts - I tried them and they tastes as usual, well, a bit sweeter, it seems I lost my addiction, wow, it went quickly, I was totally hopeless for years - and most of oily seeds).

I plan my next webshop order. The one after that will be the really tricky one as it’s a very vegan place and it has a huge money target to get free shipping. Last time I ordered a lot of Earl Gray, it’s good tea doesn’t really spoil so I have time to drink it :smiley: I love it and if I manage to stop drinking coffee, I will drink it more. My carnivore-ish definitely includes tea. It’s basically animal products plus coffee, tea, spice (including onion and garlic but only in tiny amounts and if it’s really needed for the dish) and very very little vegetables, a few slices of cucumber or a tiny tomato, I have cute ones now, probably below 20g. I allow even a rosehip berry at walks in winter now and then but that’s it. This is my default when I think it is realistic. And I have some more layers, I add protein rich, satiating plants before others. For some reason, I developed some aversion to sweeteners since I tried carnivore. I use them when needed but I bordeline never make sweets for Alvaro - except his breakfast cakes but they are sweetened with fruit. Cakes disappeared but it started way before carni, I ate cakes all the time on my original keto and I got bored no matter how great they were. And I don’t need them now that I have some meat all the time (cakes had 2 main roles: 1. to give me protein and other important nutrients 2. being different from normal egg dishes. and I wanted my sweets in the end of meals too, due to eating carbs, it disappeared on carni but I need something for the 2 others. meat is wonderful for it, way better than cakes). Chocolate became meh. Ice cream still works, no matter my actual feelings towards its main ingredient, eggs but meat is usually better.

Oh sorry I promised to disappear. I saw Amy here and I forgot.

this is great for convenience for sure and is good food if your ingredient list is way more friendly and clean…but I have to say not many zc people can ‘live on packaged’ stuff ya know…more like what I am saying is if you can, at any time, get your hands on fresh slab of beef or slab of ribs or something more stick to your bones with freshness then it is a better transition. See most zc people need at least 1.5 to 2 lbs of meat per day to get that body fed well to heal. That means we need staying power from our fresh meat or seafood cause it packs a wallop. The packaged stuff just doesn’t pack the density wallop that a slab of good old meat or fowl or fresh seafood gives. Not saying you can’t do this your way, obviously how we do eat on zc is all about us and what works, but just saying any time you can make a big old pile of fresh meat for yourself, you do it :wink: If you do find yourself in any kind of hunger mode that isn’t being satisfied it could be you just need a monster slab of meat LOL

I know that hassle but that grass fed beef you can get local, hmm, I would be checking into it cause that meat would give wonderful nutrient healing power to ya!!

just suggestions for ya to think about thru it all :sunny:

Hey I was thinking about you later last night and thought, I have to chat up with B and here you are :slight_smile: HUGS B!!!

Yes you had an ordeal. No doubt about that. I can only hope you get the help ya need to handle your troubles and hope that you can put yourself back on that ‘good line’ of health ya know…and that is your keto and carni foods!!

If you need heavy protein keto then go for it. Just that cleaner eating to heal the body is key at this point for you so any and all keto/meats you do love and can get is a good thing for you!! Wishing you the best as always B and ya got this!!!

wow Aug is dwindling away and Sept soon to fly in!!

yesterday was
12 oz ribeye steak
tin of sardines
2 small beef tenderloin steaks
8 slices bacon with a bit of melted cheddar
2 beef sticks

Just holding my low but again, I put on some shorts I found in the closet and they are falling off a good bit and I always love when my clothes fall off ya know :rofl: Body composition is just doing it things and getting leaner and meaner for sure so that is always a plus!

Have to hit stores and search for seafood sales. I must have shrimp, crab legs and maybe scallops etc. Cause I am out in the freezer now and boy I miss them as my side dishes. I definitely am a seafood person when that hankering kicks in!! Fingers crossed the stores put up some great sales and I can fill the freezer a bit. I sure need it.

You know I was thinking last night how life has changed for me personally and I love it, but the hubby dynamic has not changed one bit cause he ain’t even LC. At least my kid is more LC in a way and of course she isn’t damaged and has learned more on how to eat then I ever did at her age, so I ain’t worried on her…but the hubby. UGH. Our vacations were always food based ya know. Do this little thing and get a great breakfast…do this other vacation activity and then search out a great lunch. Then do this and find different, interesting, local to the area delish snacks and more to try and then of course dinner would be ‘a big thing’ too on where to eat and get new and different tastes. Now my vacations are so basic in that I don’t even want to eat away from the camper. My food in my rv is great meat/seafood I bring with me but the hubby is still…feed me feed me feed me on any of our trips. We are so polar opposite on food now between us. What was a couple’s activity became him just eating and wanting crap and I have 0 interest in it…cause I said I am booking a camping trip and he said, ohhhh, I would like to head toward the coast to get more seafood options to eat that are good and then he said, if ya book more towards the mountains make sure you find me a good BBQ type area so I got that and I am thinking, I ain’t booking this trip to center around food! Ugh. It wasn’t like I wanna do this activity or see this area…it was food based and I am like…are ya kidding here LOL but no he ain’t HAHA

So looking around my area not too far for some type of sightsee town and the kind that can entertain us for a few days just to break out and get a change of scenery. And I won’t be basing it on the food that is in the area LOL

I don’t know, just thinking out loud how I changed so much and food is not a life draw anymore to me. I love it actually. I have no intention of ever going back to ick carb land ever! Just rambling out some thoughts on how it goes down around here sometimes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Soldier on everyone, we are loud, proud, and zc… :smirk:

(Kellyn ) #270

I slept so much better last night with an icy hot patch on. I also think the epsom salt bath helped a lot last night. This morning the pain is so much better, still there, but way better. I feel like it is healing. I soaked some beef liver in apple cider vinegar last night and fried it up this morning. It really absorbed the apple cider vinegar taste. I had a few bites this morning after cooking and am bringing the rest to eat with my beef patties for lunch. I don’t really like it with this flavor, but will eat it any way. I will try white vinegar next time and only soak for a few hours instead of overnight.

ohh KP so glad you got so lucky on that back trouble.

my co-worker in the tool room I worked one day nailed himself so terrible…all he did was reach across his seat of his pickup truck to get a screwdriver and boom…his wife had to call rescue cause he could not move. That one bend got him out of work for like 6 months and on light duty work for another 3 when he came back to work and he said he feels he will never be the same. I can’t remember what that bending over action did but it was truly a game changer in his life.

I am so happy you are so better!!

Yea vinegar taste is not and never will be me. My hubby loves it. Sucks down pickles and always buy very high vinegar based bbq sauces and I run from that icky taste LOL

(Kellyn ) #272

I previously loved salt & vinegar chips, so I am hoping I will like the taste with liver so I can eat it more often. It’s an experiment which I quite enjoy these days. I am not craving foods or having any temptations since I cut out sweeteners and am quite happy with all my meats but I do want to eat more liver. I did find out that I like the taste of calf liver and chicken liver, but I am trying to eat up the beef liver I bought and froze so that I am not wasting it. I am trying to improve the taste of the beef liver and hoping the white vinegar will help. I did notice that I could see the membrane better after soaking it which I guess I ate it the last time I cooked the beef liver. That might have contributed to the taste before.

(Kellyn ) #273

My husband is not low carb either. Before zero carb we loved trying new restaurants and especially beer tasting. He has been supportive of my zero carb lifestyle, but it has changed our date nights. I am grateful though that this pandemic kept us from eating out enough that I was able to transition to zero carb. The only place we go to now is a wings place, where we love to play trivia. I always order plain wings or rib tips plain. He still gets to enjoy his beer and we both have a good time. I have always been a foodie so I do miss the experimentation of new foods along with their textures and flavors, but I don’t crave anything food except meat anymore.

Tonight was scotch fillet steak and sausage. This morning I had a sardine omelette.

I totally get what you say about the dairy foods. Fermented dairy is one step away from milk as the lactose is used up by the bacteria. And it’s a step toward dairy free. Butter is a cream product and cream is a move away from milk. Cheeses are either fermented milk or cheese. And then there is unsweetened yoghurt or yogurt. I think eating dairy is better than drinking it, again that is aimed at milk drinking. Why have full cream milk when you can have just full cream…

But I’m with you Liz, it’s time to drop another addiction. The ZC has been rolling along without the previous complications I experienced. Two days a week are now OMAD, or 23 hour fasts, with a carnivore meal at the re-feed. One day is feast day, when my Sicilian mother-in-law invites me to join the family dinner, and she knows how I eat. The two fast days follow. And they are work days where I am in front of rooms of students for 6 hours per day. I feel energised.

But I can’t yet let go of the morning coffee.

I’m the husband in the mix over here. The good lady is mostly whole food low carb vegetarian that eats some fish and eggs. Sometimes we touch hands over buffalo brie. She wipes the fat out of the pan before cooking and I’m always scraping and scouring my favourite iron fry pan to get the burnt vegetables and caramelisation off. The other night she was working a late dinner shift waitressing so I cooked her some vegetables on the fire in an iron dish. I started it off with some butter, olive oil and bacon. I often get the compliment that the vegetables I cook for her always taste good. But this time she was eating her late meal of hot vegetables and the air froze… “Is this bacon?”

This flower was blooming at work. Spring springs in 4 days time. Days are getting longer.

(Laurie) #275

Oh noes! Baconnnn!

Kellyn, maybe you’re using too much vinegar? I see that some recipes call for undiluted vinegar, but maybe you could try water that is just slightly on the acid side, e.g., a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water.

I’m feeling back on track today. I have only lovely animal products (plus condiments) in my section of the fridge. I don’t leave the house very often, so I won’t be tempted.

At Costco I did buy some raw sauerkraut, because someone convinced me that probiotics are necessary for gut health. I don’t know what carnivores think of that.

I don’t want to “supplement” my carnivore diet too much, because I find that crazy making. A few months ago I gave away/threw away all my pill and powder supplements, because taking them seemed like a full-time job.

Got the day off. Whew! After taking 4 iron pills for the last 4-5 days now, woulda thought I’d feel better than what I do. Energy level isn’t terrible, but, it isn’t great either. I manage to make it through work, with multiple trips to the ladies room. Sorry fellas if this is TMI. Just woman stuff that needs to be dealt with. Anyways, I am amazed that there is still life in me after the volume that’s been lost.
My eats?
Steak
Ground beef
eggs
turkey
butter, mct oil
coffee and a very small splash of HWC.
The amount of iron I am taking in is making uh, regulatory affairs (for lack of a better term) challenging. So, I grabbed a handful of pecan, walnut and almonds for a quick fibery munch. Between that and the MCT, things should resolve.

On the upside, today is being spent working through damn near a hundred eggs, and freezing them. Then some canning. I picked apples that need to be processed into some sauce or some such thing. Apple butter, maybe. The fam loves that.

Went for a mosey out in the garden, and checked on the mammoth Blue Hubbard Squash. 20 pounds, at the least. Got a yellow squashie and couple tomatoes. Lovely fall day - so I may take a drive.
Hope you all have a lovely day and carnivore on.

(Kellyn ) #277

maybe you are right. I will definitely try that next time. I really appreciate you input in my experimentation.

(Edith) #278

I bet it’s not ego but more of a “treat” to yourself. My husband decided to stop drinking anything with alcohol. He was not an addict, but he really enjoyed that little treat to himself at the end of a work day or on the weekend. THAT is what he is missing.

that is so great when you can hit that place where you can do dual eating styles…unfortunately my hubby is a ‘fish shack’ type person and heck 1/2 the time they don’t even off a salad on the menu, just fried junk…not even broiled ya know. Hubby is a massive carb addict point blank. And what gets me worse is if we hit a nicer place, I gotta pay like $32 for a darn steak I can eat at home when I buy it for like $10. Oh but hubby is fine by it cause he eats my sides HAHA

No they are not good for gut health.

See there are ‘concepts’ to carnivore. Key one being low level plant toxins are your enemy and ZC people do not eat anything but animal kingdom foods. We don’t want or need any plant matter in our life for food.

As you detox off the veg and all, your body heals with the meat/seafood/fish and some dairy proteins/fats you do eat. And one gets healthier but one must eat well with their menu and stay on the zc plan tight…any small eating plants just take you back to 0 and your body will not head into true zc healing as it needs.

Now many do carnivore for like a month or 2 and then as they feel better they re-introduce some plants and sometimes they do well on them or the plants show them inflammation or wonky guts or whatever, but then they know…so if you do zc and want to back step and eat plants, then going into a keto/low carb lifestyle is a great way to roll.

There is no ‘kinda’ there on carnivore ya know. It is all in or don’t bother but we sure know as one does want zc they will fight tough times dropping all foods and will have a setback every now and then but will never intentionally go off and eat plants.

We use no supps on zc. No vits/minerals/or anything extra. Unless you got a Drs report knowing if you are massive deficient in something, anyone taking supps willy nilly are just shooting blanks on what their bodies might require. Also wasting money cause if one holds zc, the animal kingdom heals your body functions/balances out hormones and more and your need for supps will vanish as in your body don’t want them added…unless of course there is a true medical situation one is dealing with.

don’t make it crazy LOL you just eat great meat and seafood and fish and don’t be eating plants and ya got it whipped!