Anybody else's jaw clicking or popping late into intermittent fast?

(Elli S) #1

This is very weird. Never happened to me before I started fasting. Now, not always but often, if I eat something at the end of a 16 hour fast (just an example), my jaw “pops” when I start eating (like a cracked knuckle). Anybody else have this happen to them?

(Alec) #2

Nope. Are you losing weight? If so, it’s possible your body is just right rearranging/repairing itself. If not, might be worth a dr visit. Problem is, he/she will probably just tell you to stop fasting! :thinking:

(Ron) #3

I actually had the jaw popping problem before keto, but since keto and the weight loss it has went away. My best friend is a chiropractor and was re-aligning my jaw bone but since I went keto and have solved so many issues like this, has now gotten on board and recommends keto to many patients. Patients with health issues he now refers them to a local Keto Medical Dr.

(Elli S) #4

I lost 15 kg since starting 2.5 years ago, but haven’t lost anything more in the past year.
What’s strange is that this happens at the end of a fast (I only notice it when I start eating again).

(Bunny) #5

Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD, TMJ)? “…Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth…”

(Elli S) #6

OK, so i’ll rephrase, does anyone get TMJ acting up from intermittent fasting…

(Bunny) #7

Some related posts:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Muscular stress can cause your TMJ to act up. I’m more relaxed and sleep better with this way of eating, so I haven’t had TMJ problems in a long time, but I do remember that it used to act up fairly frequently, especially during periods of stress. If I was tense during sleep, or slept in the wrong position, my TMJ would pop for most of the following day. If I got especially tense, the joint would get out of joint, and my jaw would freeze.

So I would guess that perhaps you are finding fasting a bit more of a stressor than you realize? Or perhaps when you start to eat again, you are a little too eager and opening your mouth wider than normal? Try a bit of relaxation and smaller portions the next time you start to eat after a fast. It can’t hurt, and might help. If you figure out what the problem is, please do let us know.

Yes. Exactly the same after some intermittent fasting. No real pain just popping. I also developed some tinnitis which i am trying to get rid of. Could it be a little TMJ from not exercising the jaw as much which caused it. I am trying to chew gum although they say it is not recommended for TMJ.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

I actually cannot remember the last time my tempro-mandibular joint acted up. :bacon:

I’ve had a clicking jaw all my life (and it became worse when I was about 7 after biting wrong on a hard chocolate bar), it’s so loud that a few times my family can hear it while I chew.

But come to think of it, I haven’t noticed it lately since being on keto. I’ll have to take note next time I eat to see if it’s still even there.

(Carl Keller) #12

Although there is no science to support helping TMJ, magnesium and calcium do help maintain healthy muscle function. I would see if I am low on these two things and try to increase them via diet if that’s the case. It certainly won’t hurt to try to get more of those if you are lacking.

http://www.tmj.org/site/page?pageId=181

(Bunny) #13

This is interesting also:

Jaw Pain: 3 Little Known Causes of TMJ - Kelsey Marksteiner, RD.

Adrenal fatigue from fasting? HPA axis dysregulation (i.e. “adrenal fatigue”)

I might suggest making sure you’re getting enough water. My ankles start popping when I’m getting dehydrated. And they are prone to popping. When I drink more, it stops.