Who eats beef liver now, despite being a 'lil horrified by the idea?

(KCKO, KCFO) #42

To get grass fed liver here, I have to buy it frozen, but hey, it is grass fed. The texture is also fine, just let it defrost slowly.

Never even thought of cod liver the omega 3 count must be awe inspiring. Will have to look around to see if there is a Russian deli anywhere near us.

(KCKO, KCFO) #44

Just curious, if in Sydney did you go to the deli in Bondi run by Russian Jews? When I lived in Sydney, I had to go there to find a lot of things I liked to eat at that point, chopped liver to travel across town for, LOL. At the time, the only place that sold bagels. Not part of my diet now but at the the time I had really missed them. (This was back in the mid 90s.)

(Todd Allen) #46

Before going keto I rarely ate organ meats. But due to the nutritional content and price I’ve been eating more and more. I’ve been getting grass fed beef liver for $1.99/lb and it’s become one of my favorite meats. Perhaps I’ve been buying too much because my source recently doubled the price, hope it is just temporary.

(Running from stupidity) #47

That happened to me when I started buying hanger steak when I got my sous vide. Couldn’t find it, finally got a supplier, and then, three months later, it’s gone from $10/kg to $15.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #48

I think this is more of an issue with an older animal. There’s a big difference to me between beef liver and calf liver.

(Todd Allen) #49

The mechanisms for dealing with toxins are excrete them, sequester them where they do less harm or chemically process/detoxify them. The liver is the primary detox organ and fat is probably the primary one for sequestration. Eating fat but not liver while concerned about toxins seems misguided. Considering the amount of pesticides and herbicides used on conventional grain for conventional farmed animals I expect eating carefully sourced wild or organic/grass fed will also reduce toxin exposure.

^^^ This. Exactly, @brownfat. The liver is a processing plant, not storage facility. As you point out, it’s misguided to make this argument about liver while then eating tons of fatty CAFO cuts.

(Kirk) #51

I eat it occasionally.

(KCKO, KCFO) #52

Also between grass fed and grain stuffed beef. I finally found a good supplier of grass fed beef liver for $2.99 lb. I’m happy with that. The range is not near fields of grains/soy either, so little danger of pesticides etc.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #53

I haven’t worried as much as I should about this when buying beef cuts like steak, but I think I should look for a better source of organ meats and ground.

(Candy Lind) #54

OK, I have been meaning to fry some, and I will get back to you on my results. :grin:

THIS. You have to get it done, but not TOO done. It’s an art.

:rofl: GROAN!!! :rofl:

Don’t cook it at home but I really enjoy liver and onions cooked at Piccadilly Restaurants. Might have too much gravy but what the heck, it’s rare I eat it but it is nutritious and tasty.

(Justin Traer) #56

I love liver! I cook it salted and peppered on a cast iron with bacon grease. I add a onions near the end of the cooking.

If the butcher didn’t clean up the veins and outer layer, you need to clean that up. The trick is to cook it just enough, but not to dry it out either! It takes practice!

This pate recipe sounds really good; I think I might give it a try.

(Beth) #57

Ugh! Wish I liked it but it’s just a texture and flavor thing for me. Tonight I’m putting myself out there and hiding it in meatball parm. At least we will get some of the nutrients. I bought grassfed, pureed and froze it in single serving sizes to mix with other ground beef concoctions.

(KCKO, KCFO) #58

Beth that is a good idea, adding to ground beef. You can do the same with other stuff, like beef heart or tongue. Just grind it up and add to the ground beef. I like liver, grew up eating pork, beef, and chicken liver, so the taste doesn’t bother me, but adding to other beef dishes would be good too.

(Sophie) #59

I’ve got a tube on liverwurst in the fridge that I got for my hubby…I think I’ll have some for lunch on a keto bun with mayo of course! :heart_eyes:

I really enjoy liverwurst. I grew up eating it. My bf thinks I am gross for eating it. Oh well. It is the only way I tolerate liver.

(Sophie) #61

So did I, but my dad used to get the sliced kind with the fat ring around the slice. I used to hate that and always removed it. If I only knew then, what I know now! :smile:

I don’t eat anything that I find horrifying unless two conditions are met:

1. The nutrients are absolutely essential
  2. There’'s no other source for getting them

The nutrients that liver provides are not unique to it.

Liver has a massive amount vitamin B12. But clams are equally efficient at providing it.

Liver has a high amount of copper. But oysters are just as good.

Liver provides a high dose of vitamin A. But butternut squash has more. Kale isn’t quite high, but on a calorie basis is competitive.

This exercise could be done for any food. I don’t hate liver, but I really like shellfish, and eat plenty of nutrient dense veggies. So it isn’t nutritionally necessary for me to eat liver.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #63

I happen to absolutely love all the organ meats. About to head to resto specializing in trips sausages :slight_smile: