Who eats beef liver now, despite being a 'lil horrified by the idea?

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #21

Love calves liver. Pan fried with some onions. Yum.

I’ll warn you, as my wife hates it.

She sees mine, she wants to “try it again”.
She smells it cooking, she wants to “try it again”.
She tastes it, and she spits it out.

It’s a texture thing, she says.

(Janelle) #22

Coming from an American Hungarian household where every organ meat was used, you will never convince me to eat beef liver, but millions do it. More power to ‘em. It’s a texture, taste and general revulsion thing (yes, I tried it when I was younger).

I had beef liver for the FIRST TIME in my life, not too long ago. It was at a barbecue place, and it was pan fried. Cooked really well-done.

Didn’t know what to expect, but I was curious, and the lady taking our order said it was her favorite, so I took the plunge.

Was not disappointed. I would eat it again, but if it hadn’t been cooked that well-done, I don’t know if I could have handled it. :grin:

(Lauren Lake) #24

No burps.

(Janelle) #25

At a BBQ place, it wasn’t breaded?

In a way, I wish I had learned to like it, Whenever my parents had it, it was Totino’s pizza night for us kids. Oy!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #26

I haven’t made myself try yet… It is a goal though.

My mom made it occasionally (She was a nurse in the eighties and had no problem with it. She also thought butter was better than margarine. And eggs are fine. Even then the knowledge was out there that dietary cholesterol isn’t an issue. But she also thought the only problem with sugar was empty calories.) She only quit making liver because we made such a fuss, so she’d order it at restaurants once in a while.

There are lots of fast food offal places around here, so maybe that’s an easy in, without having to deal with it raw.

Not breaded, just pan fried. I was surprised. It did come with brown gravy, which we asked them to put in a side bowl. I thought, if I needed it, I’d just dip it in the gravy a little. It tasted so good, I didn’t use any of the gravy!

(Beth) #28

I periodically put some into a meatloaf. That effectively masks the taste. I freeze ice cubes of it and thaw them out whenever I make meatloaf (with almond flour).

(Central Florida Bob ) #29

I used to eat it as a kid, because mom cooked it and that’s what we did.

When I was in Junior College way back in the early '70s, my biology professor said he used to eat it but quit because of the toxins that accumulate in the liver. I’ve never touched it since.

I once heard that too, and thought, “sounds reasonable to me”. Didn’t question it because I had no interest in eating it. :wink:

But now I do!

(Sophie) #31

I love liver, calf and chicken. I occasionally fry the calf liver with onions. I really used to love deep fried chicken livers but the breading is an issue. I never see it offered in a restaurant though, until I was in Canada last month. Had some of the best liver I’ve had in years up there, and not once, but twice in different cities no less! It has a slight sweet taste that is really nice.

(Bunny) #32

For me the health benefits far outweigh the taste, smell or being squeamish about it, when you realize just how valuable organ meats really are and the science behind why your eating organ meat offal/glandulars?

References:

1. So why are organ meats superfoods? They are nutrient dense. Vitamins, minerals, amino acids, B-Vitamins, Vitamins D, choline, iron, Vitamin a, selenium, and CoQ10 to name a few because the list is large. We have all heard of the B-complex vitamins. They help protect the heart and circulatory system and give us energy. Amino acids help repair our body after we work out, vitamins A and E are powerful antioxidants that help scavenge damaging free radicals produced from exercise, and minerals are important for building strong bones, maintaining nerve function, and running vital metabolic processes. Organ meats also help fight anemia because organs like liver are packed with iron. Organ meats can provide a powerful health boost, especially because their whole food nutrition is lacking in our more western diets. One important note I want to make is on the importance of finding a quality organ meat. Eating organ meats from feed lot animals is NOT the way to go. Over time their bodies accumulate unhealthy toxins, inflammatory fatty acids, and list of other chemicals and hormones. Make sure you get your meats from a good source. …More
  1. “…GT (glandular therapy) is based on the theory of “homostimulation,” or “like supports like.” For example, an animal eating a piece of liver is taking in nutrients that closely resemble the animal’s own liver, providing the body with similar building blocks and fuel for repair. Practitioners can think of it like this: A damaged liver needs a specific and complete combination of amino acids and other materials to rebuild functional liver cells. In GT, the most complete source of materials for liver repair would be healthy liver cells. What about brain damage? A closer look at brain tissue reveals a rich source fats (phospholipids, omega-3 and other fatty acids) vital to repair and maintenance of brain tissue. Bovine trachea and cartilage contain glycosaminoglycans, important compounds (like hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulfate) for joint health. As mentioned before, “like heals like.” …More
  1. 5 – Organ Meats for a Pain-Free Life – Promising research shows the protective qualities of omega-3 fatty acids against on-the-rise conditions like arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Organ meats are loaded with the omega-3 fats EPA and DHA, which must be obtained through diet. One 4oz portion of brain contains about 1 gram of both EPA and DHA. …More
  1. The theory of Oral Tolerance: Dr. Lee’s theory is strikingly similar to research that is being conducted today in the field of Oral Tolerance. Defined in 1977 Oral Tolerance is a state of non-responsiveness to an antigen. According to Oral Tolerance, when an antigenic protein is ingested orally, it is taken up by the Peyer’s patches in the ileum and presented to the bloodstream via dendritic cells. The body’s natural immune response is then used to induce regulatory cells directed at that antigen. Oral Tolerance works by one of three mechanisms:
  • activating regulatory cells, which suppresses symptoms;
  • rebooting the immune system so it doesn’t react to the antigen (anergy); and
  • deleting reaction to the antigen altogether (clonal deletion). …More
  1. Protomorphogens: Organotherapy, the treatment of disease with organs and glands, was studied by human endocrinologists in the early part of the 20th century. Dr. Royal Lee, DDS, an early pioneer in human nutrition, proposed that glands and organ tissue could be effective beyond their unique vitamin and mineral content. He believed that animal extracts supported cellular health at the level of the nucleus, and in an unbalanced system these extracts could activate cells to repair. In 1947, six years before Watson and Crick defined DNA and the double helix, Dr. Lee proposed his theory of Protomorphology.5 Dr. Lee described Protomorphogens as “cell determinants” from organ or glandular tissue (“proto” = primary or original; “morphogen” = that which organizes form). He believed them to be the smallest functional units of the chromosome – cell-specific nucleoproteins that provided the blueprint and framework upon which a cell was constructed: “Suppose you have a building that is deteriorating. The manager will call in the repair crew. If the crew doesn’t have a blueprint, the repair won’t be adequate.” According to Dr. Lee, Protomorphogens (PMGs) served the cell like the seeds of a plant by helping with normal tissue function and catalyzing cell repair.4,6 …More

(KCKO, KCFO) #33

Use them to make stock, they have heaps of collagen. My local market has them very cheap along with some hearts thrown in the package. I toss everything in the soup pot just like they were bones,. Toss in garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper & couple of Tablespoons of ACV, If I have them a stick of celery and part of an onion, whatever herbs strikes my fancy that day. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 2-4 hrs. Use as you would bone stock. The gizzards will be nice and tender and ready to eat, no flours of any kind required.

But in all fairness I should tell you instead of stock making you can dip them in a beaten egg, then into coconut or almond flour, both work well, and fry them up. They have always been my favorite part of the chicken.

(Jake Burns) #34

Definitely going to try this!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #35

OMG :joy:. That was my dad’s favorite line from that movie! Makes me think that maybe just not going there is a good option. I don’t even have any Chianti :laughing:

(KCKO, KCFO) #36

The trick to cooking liver is not over cooking it, otherwise it will be like eating shoe leather.
Try soaking (helps take the smell away, a couple of mins will work) in whole milk then dipping in almond flour. Also, it is common to cook liver with onions, to mask the smell. Again I never had a problem with it. Make sure you start with high heat and turn down to medium after the first sear. About 2-3 mins. on each side, deepens on how thick the slices are.

You can also do a very quick saute of the liver and then use it to make pate. I use this recipe for that, just omit the arrowroot powder, it is not needed at all. Otherwise a nice quick pate. You can also sub chicken livers for this one.

(Jake Burns) #37

Oh come now, there must be 50 ways to love your liver

I love liverwurst but HATE liver. I grew up eating liverwurst tho. I have tried to eat both calf and chicken liver … But honestly it’s just gross tasting to me. I’ll just eat the liverwurst :slight_smile:

You are a conundrum wrapped in an enigma. :grin:

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #40

:woman_facepalming:

Please make it stop :joy: