Indoor grill technique - Ribeye

steak
grill
ribeye
indoor

For those who live in areas where you cannot fire up your outdoor grill during winter months. This technique can be applied to any meat you like to grill outdoors.

Get your cast iron grill smoking hot

Pat your steak dry with a towel, and place on grill pan. (Don’t season the steak)

Grill for 2 minutes on each turn (adjust timing to suit your doneness preference)

Create the cross pattern on each side

Take off the grill pan. Season with salt and pepper, both sides. You can also brush with garlic melted butter for extra flavour.

Let the grilled steak rest about 10 minutes under foil tent

End result - pink middle, nice sear on outside

Which meat has the most fat.? how to eat more fat than protein
Do you eat the fat?
RECIPE WANTED: Beef Heart
(I like to post memes!) #2

Gorgeous!!!

(David Russell) #3

I broil my rib eyes now and i don’t think i will ever go back to the barbecue. It is that fast and easy.

(Mike W.) #4

If you salt them about an hour before you grill them, you get the flavor the whole way through the steak.

My experience is that it draws the water out of the steaks when grilling. The salt and tent technique, letting them rest for 10 minutes, draws the flavours into the steak, including the salt. And the steak stays super moist and juicy, too.

(Jay Morris) #6

Looks great, thankfully I can BBQ outdoor frequently here in AZ, however I will keep it in mind for the rainy days.
I have to be careful however as my smoke detector in the home is quite a bit sensitive…
It would likely beep if I held up the second photo close enough to it!

:laughing:

(Cathie Condon) #8

Did it tonight but could not wait 10 whole minutes. !!

Awesome!! :laughing:

(mwall) #10

nice snaps!

(KB) #11

Thank you for this! I can never get steak to turn out right…this would work in a regular cast iron pan do you think?

Yes, it would work in a regular cast iron pan. You won’t get the grid design on the surface, but you will develop a nice crust. I wouldn’t bring up the temp to scorching hot for the pan, either. Just hot enough to get a nice surface sear.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Hahahaha!

(KB) #14

And how long would you say was your actual cook time at 2 mins/side?

The steak in the photos above was done at 2 minutes per side, each turn. So, that was a total of 4 X 2 minutes = 8 minutes.

(KB) #16

Wow that’s no time at all… So I guess it’s still cooking when it sits under the foil eh?

It does still cook a bit under the tent, and at the same time you are forcing the juices (that want to leak out of the steak) to re-absorb into the meat. You will get a juicier steak with tenting.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

It looks good on the outside but I draw the line at eating things still bleeding. Yes, I know it’s just hemoglobin, but that word doesn’t really soothe me. It’s all the organisms still doing the backstroke on the inside that has my sphincter clenched. However the salt-afterwards-and-tent thing definitely has merit.

Based on these stats, I should’ve been a wife by now. Not sure what happened.