Pork Shoulder Blade Roast with Cabbage Slaw

pork
pulled
slaw
cabbage
shoulder

So, here is a very inexpensive cut of meat and vegetable side, that makes a great keto meal.

Ingredients for pork:
Pork shoulder blade roast
Salt and pepper
Dried sage (or other dried herbs of your choice) (optional)
One fresh lime or lemon

Ingredients for slaw:
Cabbage
Mayonnaise
Dried anise seeds (or caraway seeds or fennel seeds or dillweed) (optional)
Apple cider vinegar (or other types of vinegar) (optional)
Extra virgin olive oil (optional)
Salt and pepper

First I started with putting the pork shoulder blade roast in a pot

I added salt and pepper on all sides of the roast, and then I added a few teaspoons of dried sage at the top (use any dried herb of your choice, or you can skip adding herbs as well)

I baked the shoulder in the over (uncovered) at 425 deg F for 30 minutes. Then I put a cover on the pot, and turned down the heat to 350 deg F and cooked for another 3.5 hours. The roast was moist and tender, and a nice pool of juices and fat was on the bottom

While the roast was still hot, I pulled it apart. The pork shreds soaked up the juices and fat that were on the bottom of the pot. The roast was so tender that it fell apart very easily with a fork

I then squeezed a fresh lime to incorporate its juice into the pulled pork. Add as much fresh lime or lemon juice as you desire

For the slaw, I used red cabbage. Use whatever type of fresh cabbage you like

The cabbage was “chipped” to form shredded cabbage

For each 50 grams of shredded cabbage, I used about three tablespoons of mayonnaise. You can add more or less mayonnaise to suit to your level of creaminess. I also added one teaspoon of anise seeds, one teaspoon olive oil, one teaspoon vinegar and some salt and pepper

This is what the slaw looked like when blended

The final plate. I added a large dollop of sour cream and a small dollop of Dijon mustard. I used a few slices of green onion to decorate the slaw

Close up

The perfect bite

Which meat has the most fat.? how to eat more fat than protein
What did you Keto today?
(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

I’m drooling, in particular over the fat chunk in the lower section of photo 4. My Hubby will luv the slaw… perhaps I’ll let him have a little pork when I’m done devouring it :joy: I’ll post when we’ve tried it

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #3

I’ve never tried anise in a slaw, I look forward to seeing how this tastes

Yeah, I’d love to see your photo, too! :grinning:

Anise is a variant of flavours of fennel, dill, caraway, etc. I find it a tad sweeter than its “cousins”. I also like its smaller, black dots look…kinda like poppy seeds.

(Mike Glasbrener) #5

Made this tonight. Both pork shoulder and the slaw. The fennel seeds in the slaw are yummy. This is my first nonsugar slaw. One kid like. One kid gives a neutral response. I quite enjoy it! Oh! My shoulder was sous vide. No muss no fuss.