What's wrong with me?

Tongue is white - that is a sign of an excess of yeast in the body.

You suspect that you are experiencing Keto Flu, actually you are experiencing a massive die off of yeast in the body and skin. That is why you feel better as soon as sugar is digested.

Google is your new friend on this one, candida.

Apple Cider Vinegar will help to clear out the yeast, expect lots of gas and sudden weight loss with the die off.

The sooner you clear the body of yeast, the sooner you’ll start to recognize benefits from Keto.

As for the diet, simplify.

Drop the tea, drop the bar, even drop the rolls, certainly drop the Chipotle as that meat has had sugar added to improve flavor and retain customers.

Zevia, drop that also.

Do that for at least a week, so you can recognize the benefits of Keto - that will help you to make decisions.

My message here is - you need a baseline of as natural and basic consumption first, the candida will be gone at the end of the week and you will feel FANTASTIC.

Water and salt.
Tablespoon of ACV in water each day.
Avocado each day.
Walnuts or pecans as a fat snack.
Lots of lettuce is a good thing, no dressing for the first week until you start making it yourself.
We all love bacon.
Cheese, read the label - though it might be better to wait for the candida to die off before adding cheese.

Follow that for a week and you will feel completely different.

(Rebecca) #10

And PLEASE update us after this really intriguing insight by @Keigan. I’m really curious now if this does the trick for you!!

even drop the rolls

I can easily do that. I’m just still not into the idea of chewing on a stick of butter right out of the fridge, so I only made them one time and only as a delivery system for grassfed butter. I’m not sure what I will do with the butter now…

certainly drop the Chipotle as that meat has had sugar added to improve flavor and retain customers.

According to the website, carnitas has a total of 0 carbs.

The bowl I get from there has 7 net carbs, and I think a lot of that is coming from the onion, which I don’t eat.

Avocado each day.

Ahh, I knew I was forgetting something. I am eating avocados, too.

So… would this be ok?

breakfast: Bacon & Eggs & Asparagus; water with salt & ACV

lunch: salad with avocado & nuts

then hard boiled egg if I get hungry later? This doesn’t seem like enough food.

(Candy Lind) #12

NOTHING’s wrong with you - we are all unique snowflakes! :snowflake:
And now that @Keigan has got you dialed in, you are finally in the right place at the right time to get rid of that gut and get really healthy! We’re glad you’re here.

It’s not. Especially if you’re a big guy. Eat more fatty foods - boiled eggs dipped in mayo, salt & pepper, or summer sausage (watch the carbs) sandwiched in those keto rolls with mayo or sour cream & a slice of cheese; put mayo or olive (or avocado!) oil on your avocado; put fat on all your veggies. Just the other day I was still hungry after a big meal, and had already eaten enough protein for the day, so I wrapped butter and mayo in some cabbage leaves and ate it. It was actually not bad! You get to where you crave fat like you used to crave sweets on this way of eating.

KCKO! :wink: (Follow that link - you’ll be glad you did.)

Coconut oil is also purported to be good at reducing candida.

Nothing wrong with butter.

Keep things simple for a week, add in whole and known ingredients and stay away from the restaurants - just for a week.

If you get a rash, probably just the yeast die off.

(Tessy M.) #15

My take on your food you listed is that you may be getting more than 20 carbs during the day.
Which quest bar? How many carbs? (Dr. Fung talks about snacking between meals, it’s not terribly desirable)
That Monster has 6 carbs (4 sugars)
Nuts will have carbs
The keto roll is low carb, not no carb. How many carbs are in here?
The sauce from Chipotle that is on the veggies could contain some sugar too.
I would really encourage you to use MFP for a bit to really get a handle on the carbs your’re taking in.

(Tessy M.) #16

I’ll add, I too have had the same response from doctors. When I first switched last, my doctor commented “I was not expecting an overweight person based on your labs, they’re excellent.”

My take on your food you listed is that you may be getting more than 20 carbs during the day.

Yeah, it is more than 20. But it’s also less than 50, and I am definitely in ketosis.

That Monster has 6 carbs (4 sugars)

It’s 5 carbs. You’re probably looking it up on some website (my best guess would be myfitnesspal with a user entered database). I’m looking at the label on the actual product as I’m typing this.

The keto roll is low carb, not no carb. How many carbs are in here?

1.6. But I’m not positive about that. The eggs I bought don’t have nutrition info so all I can go off of is the possibly inaccurate numbers from myfitnesspal. We all know eggs do have carbs, but not a lot, so maybe somewhere between 1.6 - 2.

The sauce from Chipotle that is on the veggies could contain some sugar too.

There isn’t a sauce on the veggies. They cook them on a flat grill in oil with salt and oregano. Whatever wetness appears to be on them is from the oil that they are cooked in and the water leeching out of them.

(Tessy M.) #18

That’s what I looked at. Each serving has 3 carbs, two of which are sugar. The can is two servings.
Also, Chipotle does spice their veggies. Do you know what they use the spice them? Could the mix contain sugar?

(Michael King) #19

Candida is tough to eradicate for many.

The can has per 8oz serving info and per 15.5oz can info. The per can info says 5. This is probably due to round. The per serving is probably something close to 2.5 but they don’t use decimals so its being rounded up to 3.

They only use salt and oregano on the fajita veggies. Chipotle does not add sugar to anything.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Dr. Robert Lustig, in “Sugar: The Bitter Truth,” says that about 20% of obese people are metabolically healthy, so it’s not really surprising that you could have good blood work and such and still be quite obese. On the other hand, it sounds as though a well-formulated ketogenic diet can still be of use to you, so good luck, and keep ketoing on. I’d love to see your follow-up posts after following Keigan’s advice.

(Samantha ) #22

You sound a lot like me.

I am 330lbs and 5’ 5" and 30 years old. My doctor never seems to believe that I am in the 330’s and regularly rechecks my weight when I go to appointments. Her take is that I must be muscular under my fat. My blood pressure is always perfect…literally 120/80, which she checks again when she rechecks my weight. I do work a desk job and sit eight to ten hours a day but walk my dog and take yoga classes. I was eating a low fat whole grain diet and gaining more and more weight. I didn’t feel the greatest most days and have horrible times of the month. She originally thought diabetic…perfect blood work. PCOS?..perfect blood work. Gluten intolerance?..perfect blood work. She literally can not come up with answers to why I feel so crappy. I had ultrasounds, scopes and paid thousands of dollars with no answers. I get the response of stop eating fast food…which I rarely rarely did and eat more grains and less fat…which I was doing! Fast forward to switching to Keto…three weeks in and I have only dropped a few pounds but my cycle has normalized, my skin has cleared up, and I don’t wake up feeling like complete crap every morning. I have other Keto flu symptoms, but in general I feel better. What I would suggest is to stick with Keto for a full year and see if it helps. That is my plan to get this all under control.

So, I’m on day 2 of following Keigan’s advice, and that terrible pounding headache has returned. The one that, in the past, I always associated it with quitting sugar and caffeine cold turkey.

Maybe it is candida die-off, maybe it’s because I’m addicted to caffeine & sugar. I don’t know. But I definitely under-ate today because it’s hard to even eat anything with this headache. I had to leave work early and tried to sleep it off, that did nothing.

I guess I’m just going to suffer through this and hope it’s not as bad tomorrow.

(Sarah ) #24

I agree with the water and salt, but Id rather get an electrolyte supplement (sodium magnesium potassium calcium) or look for recipes for keto ade online. Also eat pickles, olives, sauerkraut, and.or kim chee, I begt youll sail through the first week (more or less).

(Jay AM) #25

Like was suggested above, get your electrolytes and don’t be afraid to take something like Advil for the headache. My first round with keto was a migraine that made me vomit. I didn’t know about electrolytes immediately so, advil helped significantly in the first couple weeks. Whether it’s bad for keto or not, I don’t really care. Advil was what made me stick with it.

(Sarah ) #26

look at sample menus online, at sites like ketodietapp.com or dietdoctor.com or ruledme.com if you need more ideas for food. personally i would not recommend trying to control your portion size/ calorie count, at all, at this point. Eat what you want/need of basic keto foods, youll find your groove soon enough. Youre easily looking at a year or more of opportunities to tweak and modify and improve your eating habits, the first few weeks dont matter all that much, they are just the jumping off point.