What's wrong with me?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Dr. Robert Lustig, in “Sugar: The Bitter Truth,” says that about 20% of obese people are metabolically healthy, so it’s not really surprising that you could have good blood work and such and still be quite obese. On the other hand, it sounds as though a well-formulated ketogenic diet can still be of use to you, so good luck, and keep ketoing on. I’d love to see your follow-up posts after following Keigan’s advice.

(Samantha ) #22

You sound a lot like me.

I am 330lbs and 5’ 5" and 30 years old. My doctor never seems to believe that I am in the 330’s and regularly rechecks my weight when I go to appointments. Her take is that I must be muscular under my fat. My blood pressure is always perfect…literally 120/80, which she checks again when she rechecks my weight. I do work a desk job and sit eight to ten hours a day but walk my dog and take yoga classes. I was eating a low fat whole grain diet and gaining more and more weight. I didn’t feel the greatest most days and have horrible times of the month. She originally thought diabetic…perfect blood work. PCOS?..perfect blood work. Gluten intolerance?..perfect blood work. She literally can not come up with answers to why I feel so crappy. I had ultrasounds, scopes and paid thousands of dollars with no answers. I get the response of stop eating fast food…which I rarely rarely did and eat more grains and less fat…which I was doing! Fast forward to switching to Keto…three weeks in and I have only dropped a few pounds but my cycle has normalized, my skin has cleared up, and I don’t wake up feeling like complete crap every morning. I have other Keto flu symptoms, but in general I feel better. What I would suggest is to stick with Keto for a full year and see if it helps. That is my plan to get this all under control.

So, I’m on day 2 of following Keigan’s advice, and that terrible pounding headache has returned. The one that, in the past, I always associated it with quitting sugar and caffeine cold turkey.

Maybe it is candida die-off, maybe it’s because I’m addicted to caffeine & sugar. I don’t know. But I definitely under-ate today because it’s hard to even eat anything with this headache. I had to leave work early and tried to sleep it off, that did nothing.

I guess I’m just going to suffer through this and hope it’s not as bad tomorrow.

(Sarah ) #24

I agree with the water and salt, but Id rather get an electrolyte supplement (sodium magnesium potassium calcium) or look for recipes for keto ade online. Also eat pickles, olives, sauerkraut, and.or kim chee, I begt youll sail through the first week (more or less).

(Jay AM) #25

Like was suggested above, get your electrolytes and don’t be afraid to take something like Advil for the headache. My first round with keto was a migraine that made me vomit. I didn’t know about electrolytes immediately so, advil helped significantly in the first couple weeks. Whether it’s bad for keto or not, I don’t really care. Advil was what made me stick with it.

(Sarah ) #26

look at sample menus online, at sites like ketodietapp.com or dietdoctor.com or ruledme.com if you need more ideas for food. personally i would not recommend trying to control your portion size/ calorie count, at all, at this point. Eat what you want/need of basic keto foods, youll find your groove soon enough. Youre easily looking at a year or more of opportunities to tweak and modify and improve your eating habits, the first few weeks dont matter all that much, they are just the jumping off point.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #27

That’s a Chipotle bowl with only fajita veggies. Obviously, some are more generous and some are more stingy and agricultural products have variation, but

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3069
And
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3030

I think it’s highly unlikely that they add sugar to come to the final numbers.

I believe there is added sugar on the barbacoa. Chicken, steak and carnitas are clear.

Hi,

If you are clearing candida, then some probiotics, live full fat yog, or kefir will help replace the candida with more helpful things.

Only I would avoid any of those pre-made probiotic drinks. They are usually sweetened with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

I make my own kefir with full fat goatsmilk yogurt. Takes a few days to be up and running, but then it is less than 2 minutes work a day, and my guts feel all the better for it.

You are almost over the hump, stick with it.

Throughout this thread many folks have offered their experience and advice, everyone has the same message:

• step away from the sugar and get your electrolytes

Keep going, by the end of this week you’ll feel much better.

Drink coffee with heavy cream, I add butter to my coffee.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

Good luck! We’re rooting for you. :bacon:

A Candida infestation of your gut certainly amplifies a sugar addiction (I had many years of mismanagement of the candida and could not eradicate it) the smallest amount of sugar would kick it right back into high gear. In some cases (like mine) one can develop an autoimmune reaction. The immune system can’t attack Candida inside your gut, there is no semipermeable membrane interaction capability for white blood cells or other immunity components to reach the yeast. So your immune system response threshold lowers and gets “aggressive” and wants to fight the invader it can’t touch and eventually attacks some other healthy system. Things just get worse from there. There are some great strategies for killing off Candida listed here, but if they fail, you may consider using Borax (yep, twenty mule team borax, pure with no additives) I discussed it with my Dr. (he’s excellent and pro Keto) and it’s completely safe. I simply dilute 1/8 tsp in a quart of water and drink this in the morning and repeat in the evening, for five days. My gut is clear and feels great, most importantly it works great. I’ll repeat the above in a couple of weeks if my toenails were affected and they will be clear by the next cycle. If your gut is out of balance from yeast, all diets, especially Keto will be less effective. Severe Candida can cause depression in many individuals since 97% of our serotonin is manufactured in the gut and the cerebral pathway is effectively disrupted by the inflammation caused by Candida. Depression is a will power and diet killer. If you don’t like the taste (it’s kinda fishy) I can tolerate taking the 1/8 tsp twice a day with a small glass of water. Borax useage has been around for over a century and is safe and something to consider if you just can’t shake the yeast and/or sugar cravings.

(tulsanurse1) #33

Just started the ACV today. I can’t figure out how much body mass I have lost yet because I didnt measure prior to starting Keto but I my 28 day weigh in and lost 22.2 lbs. Trying ACV because I want to see what other benefits my body will enjoy.

I’m like you, started at 297 (currently 274 after 3 months low carbs but only 6 weeks full blown keto) but my results at the doctor was always perfect. They actually usually left me alone even though I was obviously overweight (5’2 and 31). The last few days I got an itch that has spread all over my body and won’t go away. After looking up some info and finding candida die-off symptons, come to find out I’ve had a lot of those symptons lately and this may also explain why my progress seem slow (I wasn’t worried cause progress is progress but this makes so much more sense).

Going to try the ACV and keep Ketoing on. I really was not in favor of increasing carbs like I read on a site after all the hard work I have already done. Glad to see I’m not alone with these symptons. Thanks everyone for all the advice in here.

(tulsanurse1) #35

Please keep us updated on how the ACV is working. I have not started taking it yet.

(tulsanurse1) #36

Im 5 weeks Keto and down 22.2 pounds. I dont eat anything with any type of sugar and I noticed I had this thing on the side of my nose that was always there (for 2 years). its kind of round but flakey and I would pull the top of it off only for it to come back again. Craziest thing…Last week I noticed that the flakey stuff was no longer there. I am not kidding. Its going away! #KetoForLife

Borax, I’ll collect some tomorrow.

I’ve been drinking between 1-2 tablespoons of ACV with the mother for 4 days and have upped my fresh garlic and coconut oil intake when I cook and I was able to get a lot of relief from the rash. Hope that means the toxins are flushing out.